M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
backed out of garage yesterday and turned key on. fuel pump cycled on but only ran a second or so. Seemed kind of odd to me but went ahead and tried to start. No go, just turned over and over. I noticed the FI indcator was on on the speedo but I did not notice the light on(could have been but didn't notice) Turned the key off and back on and the fuel pump cycled on for about 3-4 seconds like normal. bike fired right up and ran fine to work.. Couple of questions for you guys in the know. does the computer hold the codes. What kind of info can the stealer get from it? This bike does backfire out of the throttle bodies on occassion if you blip the throttle. When you have full throttle on and the rpm is up over 4-5 it seems to starve just a bit cause when I let up on the throttle a bit it pulls better. This is the wifes bike so I dont ride it all that much, but I thought it should eat my valkyrie, It will but only by a hair.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Warren Gabert

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, The turn the key on with the FI lite on happened to me once. I turned the key off and turned it back on and all was fine, then and now. Only once. There is a post today about the backfiring.....was mentioned to have the throttle bodies for both checked to make sure they are in sync. Mine has nearly 2000 miles and it doesn't backfire at all. It just rumbles on down from winding it out. JOHN

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I know this may seem a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway... Did you have the kickstand all the way up? Just a thought.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't recall any FI lights coming on, but my bike will usually have the starting issue about once a week. I turn everything on, wait for the fuel pump to cycle and hit the starter. If it doesn't fire up within a couple of cranks I just let off the starter, wait a couple seconds and then it will fire right up. It's acting like it's not getting enough gas on the first cycle. There is nothing consistant about the conditions other than the bike has always been cold when it's happened. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
This sounds like a fuel enrichment problem  (AKA Choke problem for a carb). my understanding is that a temp sensor when bike is cold will richen the FI mixture for a cold start. Once it warms up, the enrichment returns to normal A/F ratio.  :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts