M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have no spark on the condce plug wires .... the other two plug wires that are the normal plug wires no problem lots of spark.... i have replaced the plugs twice now and still have no spark on those two plugs.... is there a box or a switch of some kind that they run into from the coil and then to the plugs... or could it be possible that the condc plugs that come from the coil and go over those two plugs crap out at the same time ,, not likely huh.... any help would be appretiated thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
It doesn't fire all of them all the time. I'm not sure which ones fire when, but only under certain conditions do all of them fire.

What makes you think they aren't working? Have you pulled them out to see if they look normal?

The center plugs have the coil built into the plug connector. The outer plugs have a coil and plug wire running to the plugs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is the center ones that are not firing and yes i have pulled them out amd they are not firing at all and from what i understand they are all suppose to fire one a split second before the other to burn off any excess gas in there

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
it is the center ones that are not firing and yes i have pulled them out amd they are not firing at all and from what i understand they are all suppose to fire one a split second before the other to burn off any excess gas in there
Yes, it's not that one of the plugs doesn't fire when not needed, it's that the timing between the two is offset during the ignition cycle. They both do fire and always during each ignition cycle. The M109R uses twin spark plugs, each controlled by individual ignition maps, so under light load, the twin plugs fire at the same time, and under heavy load each plug will fire at its own optimum timing to reduce unburned hydrocarbon exhaust emissions.

The front and rear side plugs are powered from individual coils located at the front of your bike. The front and rear center plugs are powered from coils built into one-piece cap/coil/wire assemblies. If both side plugs are firing and both center plugs aren't, the only things I can think of are; the center coils are damaged (it doesn't take much to damage them) or your ECM is hosed. Did you recently do some mod to your bike? Like pull the SET valve wire from the ECM or install a fuel processor? :dontknow:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i havent done any modes just changed the plugs and i cant see them bothh going at the same time .... there are two wires coming off the main coils do they run into the ecm then back to the center plugs or do they run into something else then back to the center plugs

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
no i havent done any modes just changed the plugs and i cant see them bothh going at the same time .... there are two wires coming off the main coils do they run into the ecm then back to the center plugs or do they run into something else then back to the center plugs
There's no connection between the plugs themselves, just between the ECU and the individual plugs.

When you changed the plugs, are you sure you got the caps all the way on the center plugs? They fit tight and you need to shove them down until they click. I smeared a little silicone grease around the o-rings on mine so they would go on easier.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes when i put them on i could hear them click as i was pushing down on them thanks for all of your help so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts