M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cut-off the heal part of my shifter because it bothered me. So much more room, my left foot can move again. Has anyone else cut theirs off?

·
Registered
88 Posts
heel shifter cut off

:bigthumbsup:Not yet but after having seen your's I will be cutting mine off. It gets in my way and I have down shifted without meaning to with it. thanks for the look at yours!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lookin good

Looks Good :bigthumbsup:

Did you have it rechromed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks Good :bigthumbsup:

Did you have it rechromed?

No. I touched it up with some Rust-Oleum primer, then some oil-based protective enamel paint. I figured I'll see if I like it this way. I can always change it again later. This is something I have been thinking about since last season.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Looks nice, if that is what you want. I wish I did have full floor boards, and a heel/toe shifter on my M109. That is the only thing that I really miss from my 1500 intruder. I think the heel shift might make a more positive shift from 1st. to 2nd.:dontknow:.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Looks nice, if that is what you want. I wish I did have full floor boards, and a heel/toe shifter on my M109. That is the only thing that I really miss from my 1500 intruder. I think the heel shift might make a more positive shift from 1st. to 2nd.:dontknow:.
I had a m109r first and now i love the heel shift and the 1st to 2nd seems easy on the c the heel limits you moving your foot back some but i will live with it

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never had a heel shifter until I got the C109RT. In fact I didn't use it for the first few weeks preferring the old toe under upshift. Once I got used to it, it made the upshifts much easier and I would now be reluctant to go back. But to each his own.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought I would use the heel shifter a lot more when I bought the bike. Turns out, I only use it on really long rides when I'm changing my leg positions to ease hot spots. I like stretching out when I ride, so it's really not in my way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the heal shifter except those times I get it in neutral and then move my foot back and bump it into 2nd. Sure makes me feel stupid when I let out the clutch and she starts lurching.:dontknow:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd never go away from my heel shifter either, I love it, but as said, to each their own.

I like the partial glimpse of your air intake, what are you using?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd never go away from my heel shifter either, I love it, but as said, to each their own.

I like the partial glimpse of your air intake, what are you using?
I love not having the heel part anymore. I thought I would use the heel shifter more but after 2 seasons it did nothing but get in the way.

As for the intake I went with Gman's and modified my stock cover. I'm now customizing a new intake. This will be my own design and I will also get away from his Bully and install a PC then get it dynode. I'm looking for the numbers he claimed on his website. I will still use his K&N filter but the plastic intake that he is selling cracked where it mounts to the motor. I needed to make brackets to help hold it in place. I do love the road burner exhaust he was selling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I heard of one guy, (might have been a Vulcan rider,) who chopped off his heel shifter, not because he didn't like using it, but for another reason altogether. He said that you upshifted much harder with a heel shifter, and that is why some bikes came up with gear engagement problems from a bent shift fork. So, he limited himself to toe shifting as he said that the motion was always an easier one, and unlikely of damaging the shift fork. I suppose it could be true, but it sounds like he wasn't able to discipline himself on his shifting style.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts