M109 Rider Forums banner

does your M send a sray upwards in the rain, getting your passengers back wet?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed allot of licence plates relocated to the back side of the bike, exposing more of that wonderful back tire, has anyone noticed if that sends a spray of water going straight up if your stuck having to ride in the rain? I had noticed it happening to a Honda VTX whom had removed the back plate and yes the female passenger was soaked threw her leathers and all.

Good thing there was a nice pub close by with a roaring wood stove glowing, we had to stop.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The moral of the story IS....

If it's rainin always have someone on the back...It keeps YOU dry :D :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
no clue, i took the rear pegs off. if a chick wants to ride with me it'll be on her own bike.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I haven't relocated mine and a friend was riding behind me in a downpour said he had to back off because I was kicking back a 15 foot rooster tail with the plate still there. I haven't ridden with a passenger ...no help there.

Devilish

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
on my Buell XI I cut up the rear fender and I took my Wife for a ride on a Poker Run....and got caught in rain.She was soaked all the way thru,and NOT happy.

on my 109 with the rear plate holder cut up,it got my leather jacket wet when I got caught in rain.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
The only time I have been caught riding for an extended period in the rain was after I de-beavered the bike.
The water was coming up off the tire and soaking my whole backside.

Never had that problem with the beaver tail on, but I had also only ridden about 10 minutes in a light sprinkle up until that point.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As the rear of the body overhangs the tyre considerably - even without the number plate mounting - there is no possible way that water can directly come off the tyre and wet your back.

Probably though there is a low pressure cell formed behind the passengers back at speed that actually sucks the water spray forwards and onto her / your  back.

The number plate mounting may prohibit the spray from being in close enough proximity to the low pressure cell, for the cell to suck the spray forwards.

Skin.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
DevilishEyes109 said:
I haven't relocated mine and a friend was riding behind me in a downpour said he had to back off because I was kicking back a 15 foot rooster tail with the plate still there. I haven't ridden with a passenger ...no help there.

Devilish
Tire tread design I believe would have a big influence on that rooster tail. Which tire did you have on the rear when this tail occured?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've ridden in the rain with my wife 2 up , with the stock fender/lic. plate set-up and YES the tire soaks her back AND in a stripe fashion straight up the middle of her back!!! It doesn't really matter how it happens, just that it does! and with the tag plate removed it gets worse. The wife would would probably say exponentally so!! She was, to quote Dopey Dan Rather "madder than a rained on rooster" when she found a dark "skunk" stripe on her new jacket!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
too answer your question if you are riding in the rain and some one is on the back yes they get soaked :D and this was before i moved the plate but if it is not raining and the ground is wet the person riding with me got soaked  :But if it is dry and ground is dry than no they did not get wet :D :D :joke: :evil:

but i was told that the back tire does throw up alot of water

sorry i could not resist the humor  :joke:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thank you all for your comments, i have been debating to move my plate to the side but as it sits know and since there is such weather extremes in our region I'll keep the beaver tail on and carry a large garbage bag to use if needed, since a person still gets it with the beaver tail in place, I love the lingo for the rear plate holder "beaver tail" and for the spray "roster tail". Good stuff love the stories as well. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts