M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put nitrogen in their tires. I swapped out air to nitrogen for my winter tires in my car and thought hmmmm. Maybe good for the bike??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Has anyone put nitrogen in their tires. I swapped out air to nitrogen for my winter tires in my car and thought hmmmm. Maybe good for the bike??
I put nitrogen in my tires when I bought new wheels and tires for my 9.
I bought a Ford Truck from a local dealer and they had put nitrogen in
the tires and it rode nice and tire pressure stayed right. So they put
the nitrogen in my 9 for free.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
If I could get it for free I would have it put in, but most places around here charge around $15 per tire to install it. I've never noticed mine changes that much from hot to cold as far as ride or handling, and it's not that big of a deal to check the tire pressure. Having nitrogen in them doesn't guarantee it will never lose pressure, so my fear is people have it put in the tires then forget about checking the pressure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules so if you have a bead that is seeping a little it could stop the leak mind you normal air in your tires is already 70% nitrogen so it will most likely leak anyways. One of the only bonuses to having it is if you park your bike over winter it doesn't promote oxidization inside your rim which can lead to a bunch of bad things. All other side effects are negledgeable plus or minus. Aircraft have been using nitrogen for years but for none of those reasons. If they have a brake fire in the wheel well they don't want the oxygen that would of been in the tire to aggravate the fires intensity. Hence the reason for nitrogen an inert gas. So having it in your tires isn't any real advantage unless you live up here in Canada where my bike sits for 6 months of the year. Do I use it? Yes but only because i have access to it through my job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts