M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 29K on my 9 and decided it was time to change the fuel filter and plugs; supposedly the stealer changed the plugs at 14.5K. I pulled the rear plug and took some pics and need your opinions on how the bike is running. The plugs are NGK CR9E. The tips look white in the picks, but they are really dark brown.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If it's dark brown, then it's running like it's supposed to. White is too hot, which means you're running too lean. Black is too rich, so you're right in the middle. Looks good to me.

-Josh

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
You sure those the right plugs??

According to the owners manual they should be NGK cr8ek or denso u24etr with double electrode thingies on the side of the plug. Page 7-10

G

·
According to the owners manual they should be NGK cr8ek or denso u24etr with double electrode thingies on the side of the plug. Page 7-10

:agree: The Stealer should never have put that type of plug in. Suzuki would chew them a new one if they knew. The resistance and spark trigger values are different enough to cause damage to the ignition system. That plug would have cost them 1/2 the price of the right plug and I bet they charged you for the right plug.

G

·
You can't really get a good reading with the wrong plug. The electrode looks to be burning too hot (white). and the rest of the plug looks to be running on the cold side (dark), the ceramic should be a little lighter. It also depends on the circomestances. A plug reading should be taken after a hard pull up to freeway speed on a fully warmmed up bike. Then shut off and coast to a stop. Any idling and stop and go driving will nullify the results by altering the color of the plug.

Put the right plug in and do a propper plug run, if you want acurate information.

I have 29K on my 9 and decided it was time to change the fuel filter and plugs; supposedly the stealer changed the plugs at 14.5K. I pulled the rear plug and took some pics and need your opinions on how the bike is running. The plugs are NGK CR9E. The tips look white in the picks, but they are really dark brown.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
:agree: The Stealer should never have put that type of plug in. Suzuki would chew them a new one if they knew. The resistance and spark trigger values are different enough to cause damage to the ignition system. That plug would have cost them 1/2 the price of the right plug and I bet they charged you for the right plug.
GOTTA LOVE those, HONEST STRAIGHT SHOOTING DEALERS:swear::swear:

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Another one gotten from the dealer. :doh: I would see what they charged you for then take the old ones back to the dealer and ask them why they put the wrong plugs in. Sometimes they will never learn the easy way and need to be told what is right.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
:yikes: I was thinking when I saw those pic's that they didn't look like the same ones I have in my bike!! I'll bet the dealer didn't hesitate to charge him for the plugs that should have been installed though!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts