M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do me a favor and let me know if any of you hear a clicking noise when you have the bike turned off in neutral while backing it up and sitting on it. I don't know if it's the gears or what, but it sounds funny and I'd like to know if it's normal. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uh...i guess i'm not sure if you're not sitting on it...i'll have to check that out tomorrow. i have a hard time believing it's the tire hitting something....it sounds more clunky, plus it's the stock rear.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
In neutral but with the clutch out, right? I've never noticed any noise on mine when backing it out of my shop, and I usually do that with it in neutral and clutch out. Once in a while I'll sit on it and do the same thing and don't recall hearing any noises, but I'll pay attention tomorrow.

·
Registered
567 Posts
:agree:

Neutral with the clutch out backing up...mine makes no clicking noise at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah...neutral, clutch out, backing up. i'm not sure if it makes a difference for the bike to be driven or not. i'll have to check it out more tomorrow, but it was just after having been driven for about an hour. i did just change the gear oil, but am pretty certain i got her all filled up.

anybody else?

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
I have never noticed anything and I back mine up 15-20 feel out of the garage so I can turn it around. Only does it backward and not forwards? Only with you on the bike?

·
Registered
319 Posts
just went out to the garage to check for you and mine makes no noise at all with clutch out and in neutral :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
:agree:no noise

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

First, thanks everyone for checking for me.

I checked today and it didn't make any noise when the bike was cold, but after going for a ride I got back and shut it off. Now it made the noise going forward or backward. I've noticed it before but never thought about it. If a few of you could check on it after having ridden, that would be great. It is definitely coming from the rear and it sounds like it's the gears but as i'm holding the bike it's hard to get my ear close enough to the noise. It shouldn't be a problem that I'm using kawasaki gear oil 80w90 right?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
IF you can put the bike on a lift and give the wheel a spin it should not make any noise.Also check your brake rotor and pads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IF you can put the bike on a lift and give the wheel a spin it should not make any noise.Also check your brake rotor and pads.
Rotor and pads should be fine...it's only got 2500 miles. The rear brake does squeak though. Are you a mechanic?....can you tell me why it shouldn't with no weight on it, but is acceptable with weight on it?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
If mine is on a lift and I rotate the rear tire it makes a light rhythmic ticking noise, which sounds to me like the gears on the final drive meshing. It's not loud though, and you can feel it a little in the wheel while rotating it. I've noticed it when having the bike lifted to clean the wheels, but never when I'm actually moving it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts