M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't wait to see this project finished!! I really love the large diameter drag bars on the 109. However, I'm not a big fan of the large blade-type risers that lead to them. I think the tubular riser/drag bar will look S#!t hot on the bike. It would really make a blended look from the side; round fork tubes up through the round riser.

What's your plan for the tach?

K9

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CruzK9 said:
Can't wait to see this project finished!! I really love the large diameter drag bars on the 109. However, I'm not a big fan of the large blade-type risers that lead to them. I think the tubular riser/drag bar will look S#!t hot on the bike. It would really make a blended look from the side; round fork tubes up through the round riser.

What's your plan for the tach?

K9
I'll post pictures when I figure it out. ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see chrome risers. I like the current bar, and only need it to come back maybe an inch or so.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
bye bye tach! wish i wasn't so damned scared to drill into my triple tree.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a sneak peek at the project. I'll get some better shots when it's all done.Let's just say this has not been an easy mod. ::)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gradona said:
Any Idea how much further back the bars will be from stock?
None. These are a 1/2" taller and about 1/4" forward. The angle of the bar is just about the same.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No offense, and maybe it's because I just don't understand, but in what way would you benefit from doing this? Maybe if I saw a pic of someone sitting on the bike before and after it would make better sense.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OhioM109R said:
No offense, and maybe it's because I just don't understand, but in what way would you benefit from doing this? Maybe if I saw a pic of someone sitting on the bike before and after it would make better sense.
None taken. Why would you do this? After spending all day making these work I was asking myself the same thing. ::)

They didn't give me any more pull back like I was hoping they would.
They took a lot of modifications to make them work on a 109.
I could install a SuperCharger on a Valkyrie in about half the time.
They are only a 1/4" fatter than stock so that's not that big of a deal.
Relocating the tach was the hardest deal and I won't even go into what that took.
You could probably spend your money on something much better like a good set of risers that I now feel we need to work on. ::)

On the plus side it gives it a custom look and it's not like everyone else's bike.
They do look good on the bike but unless you see them next to another 109 you probably wouldn't notice a difference. ::)

Bottom line is I had to try it. It could have been a really cool mod but for the time, money and effort it took I don't think too many folks are going to be doing this to their bike. I know I wouldn't if I had to do it over again. :confused:

G

·
OhioM109R said:
Its because he is Lamont and we aren't. He is the kid who takes his dads new car apart and puts it back together.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree and it's good he's Lamont. I personally would be more interested in some nice highly polished risers. For me though, it will probably be simpler to make it a winter polishing project because the bars work good for me where they are.
Jer

·
Registered
67 Posts
I adjusted the stock bars up to gain a little, and like everyone else, control cable length got touchy. Lamont, this must have been a real issue for those bars. Perhaps as Jerbear said a set of risers that bring the bars back a smidge could be the answer. Once again, thanks for fueling my addiction to this site with your pics and progress in furthering the mods!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did the height adjust on stock bars and it definately helped. Does it look like there is enough room for the controls to come back a couple inches or is this going to be a problem. Lamont I've seen these bars on a VTX 1300 and they looked great. I'm thinking about putting a set on the wifes bike. You have to see her on the 109. She loves it. Did'nt like it at first, the headlight thing. But one ride took care of that. I'm having trouble getting her back on the 1300.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
xvtxer said:
I did the height adjust on stock bars and it definately helped. Does it look like there is enough room for the controls to come back a couple inches or is this going to be a problem. Lamont I've seen these bars on a VTX 1300 and they looked great. I'm thinking about putting a set on the wifes bike. You have to see her on the 109. She loves it. Did'nt like it at first, the headlight thing. But one ride took care of that. I'm having trouble getting her back on the 1300.
No way, the cables are maxed out now so if you want them any further back you will have to change the throttle cables for sure and maybe the brake lines and control cables. Not reall sure on that. ::)

VTtwinner said:
I adjusted the stock bars up to gain a little, and like everyone else, control cable length got touchy. Lamont, this must have been a real issue for those bars. Perhaps as Jerbear said a set of risers that bring the bars back a smidge could be the answer. Once again, thanks for fueling my addiction to this site with your pics and progress in furthering the mods!! :bigthumbsup:
So far it looks like these are going to be fine. They are a 1/2" up and a 1/4" forward.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
Its because he is Lamont and we aren't. He is the kid who takes his dads new car apart and puts it back together.
maybe i am wrong wont be the first time but seem to me from what Lamont is doing is bunch of things that people are going to want to do the the 109 and being the bike person he is just had to try it so when people on the board started asking how to do this and that he has a idea how to do it and what it will take to do it and if it is really worth doing. Knowing that if it is something you really want it is always worth the time

And have a very tricked out bike :D :D :D :D

but that is just what i think but also agree with Hal from what i have seen from pic of Lamont other bikes it does not seem like anything stays stock with him for too long :a20: :a20: :a20:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kbear said:
maybe i am wrong wont be the first time but seem to me from what Lamont is doing is bunch of things that people are going to want to do the the 109 and being the bike person he is just had to try it so when people on the board started asking how to do this and that he has a idea how to do it and what it will take to do it and if it is really worth doing. Knowing that if it is something you really want it is always worth the time

And have a very tricked out bike :D :D :D :D

but that is just what i think but also agree with Hal from what i have seen from pic of Lamont other bikes it does not seem like anything stays stock with him for too long :a20: :a20: :a20:
I like to try things and I like to help those that are doing the same things. Sometimes they can learn from me and sometimes I can learn from them. It's all good. :bigthumbsup:

I do have a sickness when it comes to leaving things alone. ::)

My Valkyrie in it's natural state. :eek:

My VTX in it's natural state. :eek:

My Boss Hoss in it's natural state. :eek:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Lamonster said:
I like to try things and I like to help those that are doing the same things. Sometimes they can learn from me and sometimes I can learn from them. It's all good. :bigthumbsup:

I do have a sickness when it comes to leaving things alone. ::)

My Valkyrie in it's natural state. :eek:
http://www.f6rider.com/Lamont/Mvc-020s.jpg

My VTX in it's natural state. :eek:
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/503/1DSC03076s-med.jpg

My Boss Hoss in it's natural state. :eek:
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/504/2apart.jpg
Nothing wrong with that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts