M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm planning on leaving Newfoundland and heading to Ontario on my 'C' late this week . Has anybody done this trip or vice versa. Furthest I've been west was Halifax, Nova Scotia. My biggest concern is fuel economy. Currently, I'm averaging ~10.8 km per liter, ~205km per tank. I can do better with fuel economy, but these are about my norm.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Should get more out of your tank than 205 kms....are you running it down near empty...there's plenty of gas along the way,even if you only get 200 kms per tank..I don't even think about gas till I hit 250 kms.
the ride from Cape Breton all the way to the Quebec border is great..open rolling terrain with plenty of sweepers..just keep an eye out for the moose..most of the trans Canada is fenced to keep em out but you still get the odd one get thru..avoid Montreal unless you want to go thru,but the roads and traffic are brutal,no fun on the bike there..duck under and come back on the 401 south of the madness..then haul ass unless you want to take some back roads..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Gonna be a solo adventure. I was mostly concerned over the gas.In Quebec I was told to take 30 west to knock off time and aggravation. I am using conservative numbers just to be certain I won't break down. LOL I do know I can run a fair distance when fuel light starts flashing. Just never tried to push much past 20 or 30 km when it starts. Moose are terrible here in Newfoundland too.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
When your light starts flashing,should be 75 kms before the light goes solid,that's when you start looking
real hard,25 kms left

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hey, I'm planning on leaving Newfoundland and heading to Ontario on my 'C' late this week . Has anybody done this trip or vice versa. Furthest I've been west was Halifax, Nova Scotia. My biggest concern is fuel economy. Currently, I'm averaging ~10.8 km per liter, ~205km per tank. I can do better with fuel economy, but these are about my norm.
I used to get 260km on my C109 easy, sometimes 290...as long as you are going somewhat normal speeds 120 or so.

As you go higher, you lose a lot, 140-150 you will get 210 probably.

My M109 gets 260 and thats it going decent speeds.

Have a safe trip, where you going, how long you in Ontario....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Fuel economy

The C will have worst economy than the M, due to extra weight for mostly same engine.

In my case, without fuel management, after first low fuel light (flashing), I would have another 50-60 km driving 110-120. After the second low fuel light (constant), I would have about 25 km before empty, than give it a little shake, and get 2-4 km more (I ran out of fuel 5-6 times, than burned my fuel pump, now avoiding running too low). With a full thank, I was getting 220-230 km riding 110-130. I however once managed to empty and run out of fuel after 180km (going 140-180)

With fuel management (PC-3) optimized for cruising, I typically get 280, and even got to 300km with one tank. (AFR set to about 13.5 all across, except wot).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Done it

I have done this ride a few years ago. (Quebec - Newfoundland - Quebec).

Also done Quebec - Ontario - Quebec several times.

1. If you have never done Nova Scotia and New Brunswick coasts, and do not plan on doing it anytime soon, make sure to make time for it. I have done all the NS and NB coast roads, and it is worth it. Of course, if you have never done the Cabot, do it, do it, and re-do it (mainly the Ingonish - Cheticamp part... did it 6 times last year...).
  2. I recommend taking a path going into Ontario, than a different one going back home. (for example St-Lawrence North one way, and South the other way). Or through Ottawa one way, and through 1000-Islands the other way)
  3. If you have time to enjoy some of the best Quebec roads, and you like huge hills and curves along the St-Lawrence, I recommend taking a ferry to the North shore as soon as possible (several options are possible). South shore is nice from NB to Quebec city, but North shore much better to reach Quebec city IMO. I love those curvy monster hills... and the beast also loves to take them aggressively! I can propose you several options if interested. Just tell me how many days and how many km/day!
  4. If you go through Ottawa, I recommend riding the North shore from Quebec City (recommend road 138 which is very scenic until you start getting into more populated area, than switching to highway 40, than taking 640 to bypass Montreal, than 15, than 50 all the way to Ottawa). Than from Ottawa you also have great options (I had a blast doing the Calabogie years ago)
  5. If you want a riding partner for part of the way, just let me know. I may be able to join you for a few 100s or 1000s km.... and show you some of our great roads...
  6. If ever you have mechanical needs around Quebec City, just contact me. Well equipped garage, even have the Suzuki C109 OBD tool.

Cheers,

Stephane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts