M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've been lurking here awhile as I bought a '07 9 2 weeks ago. I've been riding a long time and my recent ride sacraficed for the 9 was a valk I put 86.000 miles on. I still have a can o tuna with 25,000 miles.

The 9 just sucked me in from the first time I saw it and had to have it. I'm diggin the bike and just getting to know her. Here are some of my issues, mostly comfort related.

I live in LA, CA. and the expansion joints in the freeways are murderous! So I set preload on 2 and got a gel pad. Bearable but not a permanant fix, any ideas? i.e. seats? tires? shock ???

The reach to the bars is a little long(gel pad helps) I'm 6 ft and its somewhat uncomfortable.

I get the preload on the shift from 1st to second but what about the on/off throttle response? Who said rock and roll is dead!

Any help/suggestions and smarta$$ funny comments will be taken in the spirit given.

Thanks
Sandman

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome and congrats! I hope you weren't riding this morning in that crazy torrential downpour with hail. I think you can buy risers that raise the handlebars and therefore shorten the distance from the handlebars to you. As for the expansion joint question, these other guys will know. Its amazing at how much these guys know about our bikes, its quite impressive. Anyways, welcome and maybe we can ride sometime. I am just south of you.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
:welcome:You will need the Gipro to get rid of the jumpy throttle response and also gives you full power in 1st through 4th and also has the gear indicator this mod is a must do.For the rough ride i went with the Duny e3 250 rear and the Metz.160 front this makes the ride smoother i love the combo and would never go back to stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll track down the tires and Gipro. Jack, I just missed the crazy weather on my way to Santa Clarita this morning but the lightning was a teriffic show. I ride every weekend, drop me a line if you want to go.

Sandman

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
:welcome: & :congrats:

The real Suzuki gel seat helps, and it does even better if you pull the cover and add a layer of 1" memory foam. The standard cut gel seat will move you 1" forward.

You can also loosen you bar clamps and rotate the bars up, which also moves them back. If you do this then rotate your controls to be level, the clutch may hit the high beam switch. To rotate the control pods out of the way you have to seperate them and file the nub off at the bottom that locates it on the bars. Easy to do.

If you need more, you can either add 1" or 2" extended risers or just riser extensions.

A TRE (GiPro or Trackday Electronics) smooths it out in the lower gears. A fuel injection tuner also helps.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. :bigthumbsup:

As far as the expansion joints, the smoothest ride would be to go with an air ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome and tips:clap2:. Learned alot about the bike from this site, I'm sure there is more to come.

I have noticed in the short time I've had the bike, its an attention whore! One guy at a gas station jumped out of the passenger side of his mini van leaving the wife yelling "where are you going?" Ran over to where I was parked just to ask me about the bike!

Kinda cool.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
:welcome: and :congrats::bigthumbsup:

Get used to the gawking:eek:. It happened to me twice today and at least once every time I ride:D

Ride Safe

·
Registered
195 Posts
1st of all welcome. I am a marine so my first response will be to suck it the hell up!!! She is a beast and will ride as such. Now onto the other stuff. i have about 6 different riding positions to ease the pain in certain areas cause i am no stranger to 12hour rides straight through. so find a different riding position. i do not have a gel seat so i do not know how those work. I'm 6'8, had to get some engine gaurds and put cruise pegs on them to stretch my legs out. the rear cowel is cool, but there is nothing like sitting on that left cheek and resting your elbow on the rear seat to relieve the stress on your lower back. i have chrome grips and no comfort upgrades so my only advice is to rotate around on the 9. the 240 wheel and up will hold your balance while you move around. Good Luck

·
Registered
572 Posts
:congrats: and :welcome: this site has alot of information and you will love it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
:welcome: & :congrats:

I recently rotated my handlebars up a few degrees which really helped my riding position... I'm not leaning toward the front as much. I'd like to get different risers or new bars in the future, but for me that's just a luxury for now. Have fun and be safe!!!! :doorag:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts