M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of blacking out my bike and i had a few ? about the motor parts/covers. I am familiar with wrenching, just not familiar with bike motors:dontknow:.......Most parts have popped off or just been covers so it has been going well so far. My? is......If i unbolt the stator cover(sorry if thats the wrong wording:-\) and the clutch cover......will there be anything that pops out at me or any gaskets/seals i will have to replace? I just dont want to have to get into replacing parts just to have the covers black........sorry for my lack of knowledge in this field:doh:

·
Registered
168 Posts
hey man! i'm excited to hear about u blackin out your bike! i don't know about the stator cover but i know the clutch cover, is just a cover, if you're careful, the gasket will come off clean with the cover and you can reuse it. just tap the cover a couple times with a rubber hammer after you've unbolted it and it all comes of easy! can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The stator/derby cover may or may not have a gasket behind it, but you do not need it and many bikes came without one.

Only 3 of the 6 bolts are even functional. The other 3 just mount to the cover for looks.

There is empty air behind it, so nothing will leak out.

I did find some undigested HD parts in there from the last one my bike had eaten. I removed those because I do not want it eating junk food.

Have fun!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks man!! should be pretty sweet.....thanks for the info!!! man i love this site!!!:hot:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:a20:!!!!!All good to know!!! Talk about instant gratification....post a ? and within min im back out to the shop with my answers!! thanks guys

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
:nopic: while your doing the work & then a finished product at the end :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
:agree:X2:pop:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry took sooo long

sorry no before pics....but just got started on this project.....next is all the motor pieces, then forks and wheels!!!!!........not sure how i feel about the front turn signals, still might change that:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Here is a thought. Do what you like with it.

If you are going to black the parts out, then it makes no difference to you if the part has a minor flaw like a fine scratch or something.

I am sure there are some guys out there that would be glad to trade their part with such a minor flaw for your parts before you black them out.

They may even be willing to toss in a few bucks.

I did this with some parts I had planned to polish and it worked out well enough. People got my unscratched stock parts and after I polished their part, they were as good as new to me.

Again, just a thought.

·
Registered
497 Posts
working on it

if you dont have 1 already may want to consider picking up or downloading a shop manual.. I know its saved me some headache already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts