M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I've been lurking around this site for a number of weeks. I'm getting serious about getting myself an M109r. Here's my delima... I have been a sport bike rider for years. The ricier the better. That's not to say that I have never been into the cruisers...I have. I have just never owned or even ridden one. Now that I'm over 30, I find my ars is getting too old and too wide to keep riding the sportbikes. The wife likes to ride with me, but the bike we have just isn't comfortable for her. I'm currently on a Suzuki SV1000s which I do love a lot...but I haven't ridden it much. Just not practicle for me anymore. Anyway, I'm seriously considering an M109r. It seems to be a nice compromise between sport and cruiser. I've all ready put the SV in the WantAd. Have any of you made the switch from sportbike to M109? If so, please comment on the experience.

My major concerns:

Will I be able to get used to the riding position? Seems like it might be less stable...I guess ya get used to it..
Power...I like to go fast...not crazy fast, but I think a 70Hp Harley would just be too slow...how about the M109?

By the way. This forum appears to have a great bunch of people. I look forward to contributing...

Thanks
-CL

·
Registered
326 Posts
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2744.0

I still have my YZF600R. I keep the rear seat cowl on it for solo riding and take the 109 out about 50/50. The 109 is the better long ride bike, I take the YZF when I want a little more fun. Not to say the 109 isn't fun but I can just throw the YZF around.

Different riding styles, different bikes. I still love both.

Oh and to answer your questions. This bike has plenty of power, it's delivered in a different way then a sportbike but still there. Riding position .... well, I'm used to it but after a day on the YZF I still forget where my feet go on the 109 and vice versa. Once you are moving it's really not that different.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just go buy one. As fast as you can. I just picked my up this morning. Plenty-o-power. It is amazing. Of course I am a newlywed, but I think I will hold onto this one for quite sometime.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great input guys! Thanks! The dealer near me says he's not getting anymore '06 M109's. He's waiting to get the '07 in October (he estimated). I need to sell my SV anyway... I might be better off waiting until next riding season. I have to admit, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one yet..besides the mags and Suzuki's website.

Man I'd love to keep both, just don't think I'd ride the two of them enough.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i made the switch from a bandit 1200, you'll love it. i still have the bandit though. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just buy one when the new ones get to your area!! Then get some great fall riding in .... Then you have the winter to do whatever mods you want :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like you're ready for the change, for all the right reasons . . Just do it  . . you will not regret this move.  If you have the money get the Corbin seat with the backrest for your wife . . You both will be grinning from ear to ear on every ride ! ! !
It is an Obsession ! ! !   :bigthumbsup:  :p

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have always had the UJM's (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) for example the old Yamaha Seca 750's, Honda CB750F's, Kawasaki Spectre's etc. etc. and so was very used to the typical footpegs under the rider layout of those standard bikes. It was somewhat disconcerting to me to feel the 109's pegs WAY out there in front of me when I saw it for the first time on the dealership floor. Being only 5'6" or so, it dawned on me that perhaps this bike was too much for my frame.

BUT

Common sense be damned, I bought her anyways and am SO glad I did. Not only are the ergonomics of this boulevard bruiser VERY easy to get used to, the actual physical imposition of the bike's frame is really enjoyable once you get under way. The only modification I had the dealer do was go back today (After one full day of ownership/riding) and had them adjust the handlebars UP a few inches, now she feels like home.

Don't worry about getting used to the footpegs, you will come to find it very comfortable, and the wide flat seat is fantastic :) welcome aboard and glad to have you here :) .....Cheers!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
cbxer55 said:
I just got the last 06 my dealer will get. It was assembled yesterday, bought today.
He also already has 07s on the floor, for $1700 dollars more. I have been riding a heavily modified
1981 Honda CBX, with real low clip-ons and rear-set foot controls. So it is a modest crotch rocket
with a 6 cylinder engine. I still have it and will ride it whenever the urge hits/
Since my wife has a 06 Suzuki M50, I have had the opportunity to get used to the forward
foot controls. Felt strange at first, but you will get used to it. It is no less stable than rear-sets/
The only down-side is you cannot stand up while riding to relieve your butt!!
Power is impressive, just not the same as any inline engined bikes you have ridden.
If you get one you will not be sorry.
Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
How is it $1700 more? does not compute, if the dealer is that shady go to another one...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Trogdor said:
How is it $1700 more? does not compute,
Thats not hard to figure out , he got a great deal on an 06 since they were wanting to move it to make room for the new years models................ with the 07s they are wanting MSRP since they are the "new" models , nothing different than any car/truck/bike would do at the start of a model year.

·
Registered
277 Posts
cbxer55 said:
:bigthumbsup:
Hey cbxer, do you ever make it up around Edmond/Guthrie? I've been looking to compare notes with someone about the bike.Â

Took it into Performance in Bethany to do the first service and have them look at two issues (that may be in my head) and the little lady started trying on motorcycles to fit her!! We may end up with an M50 for her to ride!! :doorag:

·
Registered
277 Posts
clma75 said:
Great input guys! Thanks! The dealer near me says he's not getting anymore '06 M109's. He's waiting to get the '07 in October (he estimated). I need to sell my SV anyway... I might be better off waiting until next riding season. I have to admit, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one yet..besides the mags and Suzuki's website.

Man I'd love to keep both, just don't think I'd ride the two of them enough.
Do it clma75!! It's just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! :doorag:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
prozac123 said:
Hey cbxer, do you ever make it up around Edmond/Guthrie? I've been looking to compare notes with someone about the bike.

Took it into Performance in Bethany to do the first service and have them look at two issues (that may be in my head) and the little lady started trying on motorcycles to fit her!! We may end up with an M50 for her to ride!! :doorag:
The M50 is not exactly a good bike for long rides Proz.. it will vibrate your butt and hands to numbness in about 100 miles and the feet positioning is terrible for extended rides as well. Probably be better off getting her a 109 (if she thinks she can handle it) and throw some 2.5" lowering bones on it. Just my $0.02 however.

If you go to Modrell's Honda and Suzuki down in Chickasha (http://www.wholesalecycles.com/) you can get a 109 for around 11,500 OTD (and that was for an '07)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Trogdor said:
How is it $1700 more? does not compute, if the dealer is that shady go to another one...
Availability is the standard line.. although I can tell you now that the dealer cost between an 06 and an 07 is way less than 500.00

·
Registered
277 Posts
DHandyman said:
The M50 is not exactly a good bike for long rides Proz.. it will vibrate your butt and hands to numbness in about 100 miles and the feet positioning is terrible for extended rides as well. Probably be better off getting her a 109 (if she thinks she can handle it) and throw some 2.5" lowering bones on it. Just my $0.02 however.

If you go to Modrell's Honda and Suzuki down in Chickasha (http://www.wholesalecycles.com/) you can get a 109 for around 11,500 OTD (and that was for an '07)
Sweet! Thanks for the input!! It would be her first bike so I don't think we will go with a 109, at least not just yet.
We'll look at some different models of smaller bikes first.

She tried sitting on mine it just didn't fit her. She has five quarter horses all between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds each and she had the nerve to tell me my 109 was too fat!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
prozac123 said:
She tried sitting on mine it just didn't fit her. She has five quarter horses all between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds each and she had the nerve to tell me my 109 was too fat!!!
:a20: Atleast the 109 doesn't have a bad attitude and a mind of its own (well most of the time anyway) like a horse does :p ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Robert, was there a reply with that?

LOL, look forward to running into you brother, ride safe, ok?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bonehead said:
:a20: Atleast the 109 doesn't have a bad attitude and a mind of its own (well most of the time anyway) like a horse does :p ;)
LOL, Ive been trying to convince her of that, maybe she's finally coming around!!!! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts