M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

First off, I have to say, what a great site. Tons of good info and there seems to be such great commraderie among all owners. I'm well aware of this as most of my buddies are Harley riders.

I'm wanting to get back into riding... it has been a long time. I had a Yamaha Fazer in college, but sold it back in '98 and have not ridden since. That is why I term myself a newbie. That bike was quite a bit smaller and with the long lapse in riding, I feel as if I'm a newbie.

I was out kicking around with my wife's boss who was looking to upgrade his 11 yo Goldwing. We had stopped into a dealership as he was interested in the Triumph Rocket III. I saw the M109R and fell in love. I had kicked around the idea of getting a bike again with my wife. She's ok with it as long as I don't get a pure sport bike. She's pregnant and won't be riding with me this year anyhow. Gives me time to get familiar again with riding. Also plan on taking a MSF course at the local community college. I've got the green light to make my purchase!

All dealers around my area, eastern Iowa, have stock of the 109. so I was wondering if anyone could share some purchase negotiation tips. Any other info, recommendations anyone would like to share will be greatly appreciated. I'll continue to research this site as well.

Either way, thanks to all for all info you've shared thus far. I look forward to future communications and sharing my personal experience with this beauty.

Cheers for now.

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome! As with most dealers the more info you have going into the negotiations the better. Price check on the internet and at all the other dealership within 100 miles. Call them if you can't make it in to see them. Ask them to email or fax you a price quote (say it's for insurance quote). also mention that you know you can get it for X$$ someplace else if they are high and what they can add to the purchase (helmet, jacket, boots discounts etc.). Then ask the manager for a discount. If you don't seem to be getting anywhere locally (same story at each dealership) then start looking around out of state (just make sure you don't have to re-register the bike in your state if you purchase it out of state, some states can include the out of state registration fees in their pricing and will handle the paperwork for you. Other states won't and charge you for their state anyway).

Good luck

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
:welcome:

I had to pay full list for mine but some folks have found some really good deals. Good luck and hope to see you posting pic of you and your new bike. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Whether you pay list or something less, just know that you are buying a bike that you will want to keep for a long time. Money is important to all of us, don't loose the battle over a few bucks just to have to drive/ride to a dealer 100 miles away from home for service.

Enjoy the ride. The MSF course will be an eye opener, along with an excellent way of getting back into biking.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am an MSF RiderCoach, and have gotten to meet a number of teachers in the Iowa program. They seem to have their sh** together. Good luck to you.

P.S. Don't PM me for the test answers. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am 100% for a BRC course, then after a while , the ERC course is good. you have been out long enough that you would do well to take both maybe 2-3000 miles between. I have been riding non stop for about 35 years and have ridden everything imaginable. but i took the ERC course 2 years ago and found alot of thing i knew and some i didn't. definitely worth the bucks, especially since you have a baby one the way . i won't say you shouldn't get a bike until your baby is grown, you and your wife are the judge of that ... but you can sure help your odds with safety courses. some would use the fact that you get 10% off your insurance for 3 years after taking the course, and that is true... but, it's only on the liability portion,so it don't amount to much
be very carefull ...you want to see that baby get married (-:

·
Registered
145 Posts
:welcome:You can find this bike well under $12,000 if you shop around. Only paid $11,400 myself withuot any haggling, that was the dealer`s asking price. Good luck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Got my 109, that I'm picking up tomorrow night for $11,798.95 from C & L Cycle in Eldersburg, Md. I thought this was a great deal! I can't freagin' wait!!

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
There is a Bpurple on in Columbia, Md. I saw it there this morning. I can't believe that they have it buried in the back row. Like there trying to hide it. Congratulations on your purchase, you will love it. Are you going to hook up with us for the Rolling Thunder ride? Let me know.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting closer....

:D :bigthumbsup: Â :a18: :clap2:

Wahoo!!! Got an extra car that I had sold! Down payment funds..... heck yes!!! That much closer to my purchase.

All the dealers around here have in stock are black and blurple. What say ye, gents? Which route should I go???

Bowd

BTW... heading out of town tomorrow... Got tickets to the Cardinals game, cant wait to see new Busch stadium.... Do you all think the dealer would extend the free jacket offer if I dont get the purchase in by the 31st? Is that even in their control? Hope they can...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i had my heart set on black, but all of sudden the burple is really growing on me. :beer3:

·
Registered
101 Posts
We all know black is the fastest color. As for negotiating always remember (and this comes from a guy that grew up in car dealers) a good deal is all in your perception. Set a price your willing to pay and forget about measuring how good you "got one over" on a salesman, no matter what any buyer thinks, the salesman wins 99% of the time anyway.

Good luck.

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts