M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put in a D2Moto smoked integrated tail light and then saw WS109's mod with the Autozone LEDs. So I went to Autozone and $25 and an hour later I had more LED's for signals. I used the amber strips that has the lights on the edge and I had previously installed an electronic flasher when I put the tail light on. This was shot in my garage with the garage door open. The side LEDs are a little tough to see on the video but in person htey really stand out. This board is great for ideas and cheap mods.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Looks good. was just looking at those on e-bay

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nice MOD! I agree, this site is great for cheap MODs. The creativity/madness never stops. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Got to watch it bc I have notice that the brake light tends to wash out those signals. I was riding behind my buddy and found to hard to see the lights when he applied his brakes just a FYI

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it working ok for you so far.:dontknow:
Works fine so far. I really want an LE tail light but figured I'd do this in the mean time until I can justify paying the stealership $200 for one or I am lucky enough to be online and looking at the for sale section when somebody posts one for sale. I basically experimented with hooking up the turn signals in the light and decided to leave them. The tail light was on sale for $30 shipped from D2Moto and, if I start to have problems, I will pull the lens and put it on my stock tail light or I will buy one of the cheap clear ones on ebay and pull the lens and put it on my stock tail light and just use the side LEDs as signals. Oregon doesn't have any statutes about how far apart the signals need to be...in fact, hand signals are perfectly legal here.

Got to watch it bc I have notice that the brake light tends to wash out those signals. I was riding behind my buddy and found to hard to see the lights when he applied his brakes just a FYI
Truth be told, this light is actually easier to see in direct sunlight than the stock red tail. With red LEDs and the red lens, I couldn't see the stocker at all on a sunny day. As for intensity, I had both sitting next to each other and lit up in my garage and this is just as bright as my stock tail. I do hear you about the brake light with the turn signal, though, people aren't used to seeing it and hopefully the combination of the signals in the integrated light and the side LEDs will grab some attention.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hope you have better luck with that tail light than I did. Mine lasted about a week so I went back to stock. I have to agree with Yellow, be careful and watch your behind as I don't believe they are as bright as stock. Follow someone who has one, not just looking at it standing still and then compare.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hope you have better luck with that tail light than I did. Mine lasted about a week so I went back to stock. I have to agree with Yellow, be careful and watch your behind as I don't believe they are as bright as stock. Follow someone who has one, not just looking at it standing still and then compare.
Yea u can see the turnsignal but when u apply the brake the red LEDs get brighter and the amber ones are not very noticeable might wanted follow someone and see. That's why I just went with the LEDs strips under the fender so that they were separate from the brake lights

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks good "loknload" as you can see it was a really cheap way to get some nice blinkers on the bike, glad it worked out for u, BE SAFE.....

I also took the extra strip that I cut and put them on the front I will I will post a pic or y-tube to show that install....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(( so far )) dose it mean its not gana last ???
Some people have had problems with this tail light, although, it seems like there are less problems with it than the Clear Alternatives light. That surprises me since I have had Clear Alternatives on 3 other bikes and they were perfect but I decided on this one. Personally, I think it is more noticeable in bright sunlight than the stock red tail light and I have ridden behind others with integrated lights before. An LE clear tail and the raw designs signals would be nice but I can't justify $200 for the tail light and $160 for the signals.

·
Registered
194 Posts
very nice :bigthumbsup: What part of portland are you from??

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Looks good :bigthumbsup: I put one of those tail lights on a friends bike and he loves it. The turn signals are a little hard to see with the brake light on. I made him a smaller version of the Raw signals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts