M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a couple of pics of my small mods that I have done so far . Someone else did the tach mod also , I just did it a little different . I removed the headlight , moved the front brake line down 2 inches with a homemade aluminum strap, cut the plastiic behind the headlight to fit the tach ,, placed the tach on the upper tree marked the holes that the tach was mounted to the risers with , drilled and tapped two holes , mounted it and put everything back. I think it looks a lot better and I can still see it and the idiot lights good. Added , iso grips , and arlen ness mirrors . Next I want to do the rear plate and turn signal mods .

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Wow that looks great! Do you have any other pictures? Different angles. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
used a # 21 drill bit and a 8 mm tap . the tach has a little bracket on the bottom held on with 2 8 mm nuts ,, remove it
then set the tach onto the triple tree , center it up and use a center punch to mark the holes (i used a auto center punch ,, just push down on it and it springs down and makes a small dimple ,, at sears $10.00 ) use the # 21 drill to make the holes and the carefully tap them with the 8mm tap. Y ou will have to push the brake line over to the side and it will be tight , but it works.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
zebber said:
used a # 21 drill bit and a 8 mm tap . the tach has a little bracket on the bottom held on with 2 8 mm nuts ,, remove it
then set the tach onto the triple tree , center it up and use a center punch to mark the holes (i used a auto center punch ,, just push down on it and it springs down and makes a small dimple  ,, at sears $10.00 ) use the # 21 drill to make the holes and the carefully tap them with the 8mm tap. Y ou will have to push the brake line over to the side and it will be tight , but it works.
Excellent mod.......it looks great!!!!

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
zebber said:
used a # 21 drill bit and a 8 mm tap . the tach has a little bracket on the bottom held on with 2 8 mm nuts ,, remove it
then set the tach onto the triple tree , center it up and use a center punch to mark the holes (i used a auto center punch ,, just push down on it and it springs down and makes a small dimple ,, at sears $10.00 ) use the # 21 drill to make the holes and the carefully tap them with the 8mm tap. Y ou will have to push the brake line over to the side and it will be tight , but it works.
I thought I used a 5mm tap and the head of the bolt was 8mm. ::)

G

·
Lookd good Lamont. Another modification I will have to do. Thanks again for your continual input and recomendations for the 109.

Reed

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
oldfart said:
Lookd good Lamont. Another modification I will have to do. Thanks again for your continual input and recomendations for the 109.

Reed
I didn't do that. :redfaced: But it does look good but now you have to figure out what to do with the old mounting bracket. I guess you could cut it off and polish it. 8)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lamonster said:
I didn't do that. :redfaced: But it does look good but now you have to figure out what to do with the old mounting bracket. I guess you could cut it off and polish it. 8)
Lamonster ,, that is exactly what I did . I just used some 600 wet sandpaper , and some mothers with a die grinder & pad and polished that baby right up . didn't take very long . Although it still has the old mounting holes in it ,,, hmmm ,, maybe put some stainlees allen screws in it !! Oh by the way you are right the screws were 5 mm with a 8 mm head ,, sorry

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
zebber said:
Lamonster ,, that is exactly what I did . I just used some 600 wet sandpaper , and some mothers with a die grinder & pad and polished that baby right up . didn't take very long . Although it still has the old mounting holes in it ,,, hmmm ,, maybe put some stainlees allen screws in it !! Oh by the way you are right the screws were 5 mm with a 8 mm head ,, sorry
:bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
J R said:
I think I like that can you see it good while driving???
JR ,, I can see it just fine ,, Although I am 6'3' tall . My buddy sat on it and said he could see it fine ,, he is 5' 11" . The hardest part is cutting the plastic backing piece for the headlight to fit around the tach .

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no , it doesn't seem to to any difference in the wind ,, may even be better , a smoother flow now that the tach isn't up the handlebars in the air flow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey zebber, what did you use to cut the plasctic in your headlight shroud with. I've done a couple of fender eliminations on other bikes requiring cutting plastic. Its always an ugly job, I spend more time cleaning up the edges of what I cut than I care for. Any tips?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts