M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently changed my speedo face with the new and improved Webslinger speedo face.

I do love it's look, especially during the daylight hours, but I've noticed that when it's dark outside I can see the two LED's shining brightly through the face.

My face is of a Canadian Flag so you can figure out the colour scheme.

My question is, has anyone ever taken the old speedo face and placed it under the new speedo, just to darken the lighting that comes up from behind?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Paul

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
don't think it will allow both to fit properly. i have a white speedo faceplate and i have the green led's from bluegauges that i just bought. you can see all the green led's thru the background since it is white, but it is really no big deal. i guess if it bothers you that much you can always have a different design created by joe and just swap it out.

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
don't think it will allow both to fit properly. i have a white speedo faceplate and i have the green led's from bluegauges that i just bought. you can see all the green led's thru the background since it is white, but it is really no big deal. i guess if it bothers you that much you can always have a different design created by joe and just swap it out.
:agree: because the needle will not have enough room to seat properly. You should look into the Blue gauges. There is a link in the Bang for the Buck Mods link in my signature.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm.......interesting thoughts....

Maybe I can try non-permanent ink to see how that would come out. My only concern would be that the light would then highlight two black circles. hahahaha........ Maybe colour the back completely in black?

Any other ideas?

Has anyone actually tried the two plates back to back? The mounting screws for the backing plate were quite long, I guess that is why I'm thinking this still work??? Does the needle need to be set right to the bottom?

Damn more questions than answers.

By the way, I might have gotten lucky. I've read a number of people having trouble with the speedometer reseting itself to zero after doing this mod. Fortunate for me, when I installed the needle I lined it up with Zero kmph and it set itself there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
:agree: it would be way to thick

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
i shouldn't help with this because the guy was an ass and was stealing art from me but the problem is that they are not printed on the right material and can't diffuse the light from the LEDs. This what i do in my day job, design illuminated signs with neon and LEDs. if you put the stock plate behind it, all you would see is the stock plate lighting up at night because the greatest portion of the stock one is opaque (black and doesn't actually light). It's designed that way to hide the LEDs. To fix this webslingers crap you could try putting 3M white diffuser vinyl on the backside of whatever it is he sends you and that should cut down the translucency of the plate. Or you need to design your graphics with the part directly in front of the LEDs being black and further the "blackness"(because the light will still show through those cheap inkjet prints) by using a marker or black vinyl on the backside.

I explored doing this a while back the right way, like the stock ones and it can be done. they would be more expensive and I'd have to run a full 4'x8' sheet of material at once. So you'd have to have enough designs done to fill that sheet and have the orders for all of them. Unfortunately its a big cash outlay to get it going and i have no time to do it right now....:-[

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to those with constructive comments...greatly appreciative.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts