M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my LeatherLyke Saddle bags and tested their performance on my recent BC Island Tour. Travelled approximately 5500km's in two weeks.

At first I thought holly crap, not enough room. But what it taught me is that I've been travelling with way to much chit for to long.

Rain coat, beach shoes (see pic) 5 undies, socks, t-shirts, leather vest (not needed) Coat liner, Hygiene kit, book, glasses - sun & reading, 2nd pair of jeans, will bring third pair next time. And metal 1 litre water bottle.
I think that's it.

In my humble opinion, well worth every penny spent. Plenty of space, durable, easy to clean. Quick disconnect and reconnect original bolts when I'm home to keep the original cruiser look.

Just gotta get use to them being there as I kept kicking the damn things getting on and off the bike.

Attached are some pics for your perusal. :))
It was an awesome trip and in 14 days I'm heading out again but this time touring for another 5000 plus tour of the north & south of BC.

Feel free to offer up your opinions.
Next install is my new FAT 250 Dunlop Elite III
Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Happy for you and glad you like the bags. I am going through the same issue with my bike. I'm sick of ridding with a heavy ass back pack but haven't gone as far as putting bags on yet cuz I can't seem to find anything that flows with the bike and at the same I can afford.
IMO your bags are just not for me, I am not a fan of them at all… It all comes down to looks for me. Those things just seem to kill the "Flow" of the bike… The 9 has got beautiful lines and those just seem to F-em up… Looks like two lunch boxes on side… Once again, just my opinion… Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
(not needed)...Hygiene kit
:eek:.................:joke:

I've had saddlebags before on another bike. It's one of those accessories where I never like the look of them no matter what, but if you have them you love um because there just so practical and useful. It's a catch 22 conundrum for me. Glad they're working out for ya!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I only use my bags on trips and remove them after getting where I going. They are not on the bike all the time which is the way I like it.

Going on a trip

Riding once there

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I only use my bags on trips and remove them after getting where I going. They are not on the bike all the time which is the way I like it.

Going on a trip

Riding once there

Thanks for the pic. Now I know what they will look like. I have the same color bike. I have them on my Sabre, but not too sure about putting them on the 9. That's the only thing I hate about the 9, no storage at all.

What seat and back rest/s do you have and how do you like them?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:.................:joke:

I've had saddlebags before on another bike. It's one of those accessories where I never like the look of them no matter what, but if you have them you love um because there just so practical and useful. It's a catch 22 conundrum for me. Glad they're working out for ya!
Nice editing with regards to the hygiene bag GeorgiaRoller...hahaha good one.

But I agree with you completely. They are simply suiting the practicality and nothing more. The 9 looks best with no bags, period. I was even humming & hawing about putting the very cool looking luggage rack on the back, but that too is breaking the great looking lines.
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did a 7000 km trip with these, they are frigging awsome, have you used one side as an ice cooler for drinks yet, I have, it works great. I only use them when going away camping or over a 2 day ride.

Guv

Just installed my LeatherLyke Saddle bags and tested their performance on my recent BC Island Tour. Travelled approximately 5500km's in two weeks.

At first I thought holly crap, not enough room. But what it taught me is that I've been travelling with way to much chit for to long.

Rain coat, beach shoes (see pic) 5 undies, socks, t-shirts, leather vest (not needed) Coat liner, Hygiene kit, book, glasses - sun & reading, 2nd pair of jeans, will bring third pair next time. And metal 1 litre water bottle.
I think that's it.

In my humble opinion, well worth every penny spent. Plenty of space, durable, easy to clean. Quick disconnect and reconnect original bolts when I'm home to keep the original cruiser look.

Just gotta get use to them being there as I kept kicking the damn things getting on and off the bike.

Attached are some pics for your perusal. :))
It was an awesome trip and in 14 days I'm heading out again but this time touring for another 5000 plus tour of the north & south of BC.

Feel free to offer up your opinions.
Next install is my new FAT 250 Dunlop Elite III
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a 7000 km trip with these, they are frigging awsome, have you used one side as an ice cooler for drinks yet, I have, it works great. I only use them when going away camping or over a 2 day ride.

Guv
No I haven't used it as a cooler yet. But suspect I will one day. :) How did you strap on all that gear to your bike? I don't see any elastic netting tying it down?
Cheers,

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
I have a set of those and they are great bags. You can stick a kitchen size trash bag in them, stuff it full, then pull it out when you get where you're going. We stopped at the store once and I found you can also stick two large cans of coffee in one of them with room to spare. :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beer, pop, coffee cans.... :) So much purpose to such a simple kinda bag. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Now I know what they will look like. I have the same color bike. I have them on my Sabre, but not too sure about putting them on the 9. That's the only thing I hate about the 9, no storage at all.

What seat and back rest/s do you have and how do you like them?
Suzuki Gel Seat and Custom World Backrest.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have used both bags as a cooler before and they work great. Turned them upside down and they were dry in a few hours. You can also paint these to match the bike which I want to do but have not done yet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are tie downs there, I made them myself, an elastic loop that fits over the mounting points from the saddle bags and one of those latches that won't let the belt go back through as it tightens down on it's self.

No I haven't used it as a cooler yet. But suspect I will one day. :) How did you strap on all that gear to your bike? I don't see any elastic netting tying it down?
Cheers,

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are tie downs there, I made them myself, an elastic loop that fits over the mounting points from the saddle bags and one of those latches that won't let the belt go back through as it tightens down on it's self.
Hmmm.....wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that if you've got one Mikey.....
What about the paint & chrome along the side of the bags?
Cheers,

·
Registered
224 Posts
No paint or chrome on my bags, might be just sun reflection, I'll see what I can do about the pics of my straps.

Hmmm.....wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that if you've got one Mikey.....
What about the paint & chrome along the side of the bags?
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I like em. Does the LeatherLyke tag come off the side? Thx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts