M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need advice from experianced riders, familiar with the bikes and possibly guys who got there start on bikes you generally shouldnt.
just got my motorcycle endorsment but havent pulled the trigger on a bike yet (And proably wont untill the weather breaks for the year) havent ridden in nearly 20 years and then it was only a single season on a old 1980s bike that outweighed a goldwing so I may as well be a total noob.
I know Im a crusier man and started doing my homework on beginner crusiers quickly finding my way to the boulevard line. was liking the loke of the c50 as a my first bike untill I dug deeper and realised that the bike would be underpowerd with me on it. I started looking at the C and M 90s then fell in love with the m109 boss.
About me: im a 40 year old trucker with 15 years of experiance driving heavy trucks with another 2 years as a colleage town taxi driver, so im no idiot when it comes to the road in general. im also a really big guy (6'2 built like a sumo wrestler, like seriously the power to weight ratio with me on the bike would be .14 )
My question for my biker elders is this: exactly how bad of an idea would it be to get the m109 as a first bike? Im thinking my size and weight might mitigate the power issues somewhat but it would still be a serious jump over the 90 bikes. I know it would be wiser to stick with the m90s but that M109 boss just sings to me in my sleep. Is this a it can be done if your carefull kind of thing or is this a your gonna die you silly goose dont do it kind of thing?

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Have you looked at the C90T? I really like the looks and storage of them. I always said If I ever find a good deal on one, I would get one. As far as the 9 as a first bike. My 9 is my first street bike. Grew up on dirt bikes. First 2 weeks, it scarred the crap out of me. And I said it doesn't need any more power. We'll, 12 yrs later 55k miles and now I'm always searching for more power or add ons to the damn thing. I have spent more in mods than what the bike costs me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,148 Posts
I agree with majalomalk, it goes as much as you twist the throttle. If you're careful with it, it's as easy to control as any bike. It's big and heavy but it sounds like you can handle that part. And it's balanced really well, so even the weight isn't bad. It's not a rip snorting beast that gets out of control just starting it, but it can go if you twist the throttle.

You can get hurt on a small bike the same as you can on a big bike, but it sounds like you have the right attitude towards learning it as you ride it. I would be scared to death getting behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer, but I'm sure with some time and training I could learn to do it. This bike is like that, it's not a monster but it deserves the respect any bike does from the rider.

And last, my story of getting this beast. I've had mine for 15 years this coming March. l rode it home in the cold and rain and was scared to death. Got up the next day and started riding it on some well known back roads, took it to a large parking lot and practiced low speed turns, etc. In about a week it started to feel more comfortable and I've not had a day since that I thought about giving it up. I'm almost 68 and still love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome..at 6 ft 260 my first bike was an M50. I loved it but i felt like winny the poo riding a BMX.
I learned alot on that bike and now bought a 9 that I have wanted for ten yrs since I seen it.
Once I was told that drunk driver about to pull out infront of you doesn't care what your riding..
That elderly lady leaving the piggy wiggly in the rain doesn't care either.

Always be anticipating..looking 10 steps ahead. Also driving truck I deliver concrete in a 90000 lb mixer so trucking like you I'm sure has got us trained to watch everyone else..drive like your invisble.

At stop lights in traffic I always blip my throttle to.. not to be obnoxious..but to let everyone know I'm there.
My 109 feels so balanced and easy to handle.

Safe riding my friend..!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have never seen the point in getting a small lighter and under powered bike..from my experience it ends up just being a note you have to pay until you can get what you really want. After all you didn't learn to drive a stick much less get your CDL in a rig during rush hour on the hills of San Francisco. Learn the bike, even if you don't go with a M109R.
For this bike, if you are wanting to go on really long cruise's then upgrades are a must.
Outside of that the power will not be lacking. Stock form will surprise you for sure, let alone any upgrades. I've been riding for only 23-24 years and on the 9 for 8-9 of them, it still surprises me with the power and instant response from that dang driveshaft when you breathe on the throttle. Just like 'majalomalk' said, you control the power. Don't get something you will out grow in a month or two.
Besides, you are used to people being stupid and pulling out in front of your rig. The 9 will out stop and out accelerate that thing by miles..even bobtail!

Here's a little something just for you Old and Slow! Everyone of these are working rigs.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I can't tell you how much money I have spent over the past 58 years buying bikes that were too small for me. Just take it easy and don't be tempted to show off to yourself being over confident.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had a M90. I loved that bike. I'd still have it but it broke and was written off in an accident. It had plenty of power for one and two-up riding. Once bad thing about the bike is the availability of aftermarket accessories. Even the OEM add-ons are getting hard to find. I had always wanted a M109R. After about a year without a bike my wife and I found a M109R and we haven't looked back. Just take your time and get used to the bike. They're a tank, but very well balanced. Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I added a Nine to my stable because #1 it fit me quite well since I am taller than average, #2 they run fast and strong, #3 they are drop-dead gorgeous.

Have fun with your Nine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts