M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this site for a while and just bought a 9 less than a month ago. Funny thing, I had never been on a bike before.
I imagine it's kind of like getting a thoroughbred for your first horse.

This may be the only site I can post this without fear of ridicule:
"I started riding because I liked the look of the M109."

I know I'm not alone because every week, one or two folks join the site who state that this is their first bike.

In the motorcycle safety course they provided a Honda 250 for me to ride.
Nice, but it's not the same as riding a 9.

I did a search and did not see a thread for new riders so I thought I'd start one. There is a thread for Low cost Mods, and FAQs, but nothing specific to how to ride the 9 safely.

This could be a safe place for noobs like me to ask questions, share experiences and hear from the more experienced riders who have already been there, done that.

What do you guys think?

Especially if you are a newbie like me , don't leave me hangin', share your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Learn the bike. Get out and ride in parking lots, then step up to parks, then back roads. Ride ride ride ride ride. You can not learn everyhting from reading stuff on here. You really need to just get out and ride. Take it easy on the throttle, till you get more comfortable.

You tech guys bored?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
alot of people are gonna say its way to much bike for a first time bike owner, but dont get upset about it, they just dont want you to get hurt.

1500 cc (90) is alot of bike for a first bike too.. which is my 1st.

be cool & respect the bike, and google how to pick up a bike by your self, because you're gonna lay it down.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well a 1800cc muscle cruiser isn't a starter bike by any stretch of the imagination but since you got one, practice, practice, practice. Go to an empty parking lot (many, many times) and practice slow speed handling like you did in your class.

Out on the highway it rides itself IMO. Good luck, ride safe, don't get arrogant on it and always respect the bike and be realistic about your own abilities. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
:agree:! Ride in a parking lot do some figure 8's and just get comfortable with the Monster !!! Easy on the throttle it will respond ! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Continue taking the Motorcycle saftey course and progress as your experience does. I've been riding since I was 12 or 13 and I learn something each time I have taken the course. I know they can be a bit pricey but just think of it as another MOD to your 9 (Modding your brain) Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
:agree:! Ride in a parking lot do some figure 8's and just get comfortable with the Monster !!! Easy on the throttle it will respond ! :bigthumbsup:
:welcome::welcome: The parking lot practice is great but be careful turning slow. I killed my engine doing fugure 8s and scrunched and bent some parts.
Good idea with a thread for first timers. I thougt It was like riding a bull the first few weeks when I gave a little throttle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow!!!

I was going to wait and post when I got some pics. But just got my 9r Saturday, and the reference to the bull is sooooooooo accurate. I just love it. It is so nimble for a big bike and the first time you give it a bit of throttle woooooooooooooowwwwwww!!! I will post pics tomorrow. But Vinny is a happy camper. Going for a long desert ride today!!!!!!!!:clap2:

·
Registered
506 Posts
:congrats::welcome:
Read again post from Hink !
Your first mod should be TRE (either JSD-3M, or if you want to see speed indicator - GiPro) this would "soften" your throttle and make your riding much easier. You can buy that at DLP (click on the banner above).
Also keep working on your clutch and on your "sweet spot".
Good luck, and don't be afraid. Your bike is only the beast when YOU want it .:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree with HINK and everyone else Ride, Ride, Ride, don't feel that you have to keep up with everyone else's speed, A parking lot (empty) and around the neighborhood until you are comfortable to get out in traffic and test her. TAKE IT SLOW, ENJOY THE RIDE NOT THE SPEED!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought my first bike in 1979. A 650 Kawasaki. It was a nice street bike. Only had it 3 years and had to sell. Was never on another bike untill I bought my 9 last april. I was a bit nervous about riding it home but didnt want the dealer to put the first miles on it. They let me ride a little 250 around for a bit in the parking lot. I actually think the 9 is easier to ride except you can feel the weight of it when manuvering at slow speed.
I suppose I bought the bike some for the power but primary was the looks.
I'm not an agressive rider but do punch it once in awhile. It will give you a big smile but have to be careful always.

Have fun and ride safe!

jerry.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Or, you could buy a smaller used bike to get comfortable on in real traffic then sell it when you're confident. It might make you feel more secure. Your 109 is fun to just look at parked in the garage in the mean time!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
:congrats:eek:n your 9 and:welcome:to the forum. My 9 was and is my first bike also. I took the safety course also. I would go to class and then come home and practice the techniques/lessons on my 9. You are going to be nervous just because it's your first bike, your a new rider, you afraid to make a mistake and drop her, and so on and so on. I took my first riding season to just learn my bike. If it was not raining I was on it, even if it was only for 30 minutes. I started in my housing development, practicing turning, shifting, emergency braking, etc. YOU HAVE TO RIDE IT. That sweet spot in the clutch was my best friend. The bike will only go as fast as you make it go. People told me the same thing about not getting my 9. I have not regretted my decision once....RIDE SAFE...STAY UP:bigthumbsup: Hope this helps.

·
Registered
508 Posts
:congrats: on owning a new 109 and :welcome:.

Looks like all the other guys here have you covered.
Just respect the throttle and the weight of the bike.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Congrats on getting your 9.
I'm a newb and have had 07 LE for about a month now and I love it. I took the MC class and then started riding in my neighborhood practicing changing gears, stopping, cornering, and u-turns. Now I am riding her on the main roads with traffic and have even rode on the highway once getting up to about 70mph. I now feel very comfortable riding my 9. Be sure to remember and practice everything you learn in mc class and apply it to the real world.

Take your time learning your bike and venture out at your own pace. Everyone has their own learning curve.

Straighten Up and Ride Right!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, not too much to say (previous posts covered it). I too purchased my 109 without any riding experience. Took the MC course, NC Bike Safe course (riding with MC cops and they critique your riding), and plan on taking the Advanced MC course soon. Rode the Tail of the Dragon solo within the first six months :doh:. It was all good. All the courses in the world won't mean a hill of beans if you don't you practice it (which I see you have started). Remember, the bike won't do anymore than your wrist will allow. Have fun!

:congrats: & :welcome:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've been riding for 50 years and when I got the nine I had to adjust to it's little quirks. I believe that they have an advanced rider course that will let you use your bike. That would be a great addition to doing what the other guys said which is ride very carefully. The GIPro geally smoothed out my first gear riding. Much more controlable now. And Enjoy yourself, you bought a classic cruiser that has it all. And be ready for all the attention..
Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 109 is my first cruiser. I've had sports and tourings before that - but I bought the 9 because of it's looks.

Glad I did.

If anyone thinks that is stupid... I've got an exhaust they can blow...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I HAD to buy mine based on looks because no dealer would let me test ride it. Like you, darn glad I did!:bigthumbsup:

The 109 is my first cruiser. I've had sports and tourings before that - but I bought the 9 because of it's looks.

Glad I did.

If anyone thinks that is stupid... I've got an exhaust they can blow...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts