M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Burple about a month. Second bike, first was a Shadow Spirit 750. I had it for 3 months and put 1100 miles on it after a few mods. I loved that bike, I just felt like I was going to get run over with the wife on it. Even after I put on the hypercharger, VH pipes and jetted. I'm 5'10" @ 165 and the wife is 115. I always loved the 109 but thought it was too much bike for a first time rider. But I tried a friends HD Nighttrain and thought what's the big deal it's only 200cc more. Boy was I wrong this thing is scary fast. I may be the slowest 109 rider on this site but I love that thing. Great site!

Lowered 2.5
Clear turn signals
Sissy bar for the wife

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
you have the right attitude. bikes are animals. the first time you lose respect for it it'll reach out and bite you. just have fun, and don't worry about where you compare to others. the skill will come over time with experience.

G

·
Ride within your limitations. I ride with alot of different people at different levels and I know alot of riders who feel like they have to ride like their buddies and that is how people get hurt. I often ride with a bunch of sport bike riders, many who have been professionally trained. I cannot keep up with them and truthfully, I don't try. When they get to a stop sign, they wait for me. I refuse to get hurt or worse trying to do things I don't have the skills or the machine to do.

Respect your machine and your abilities. Your a smart man.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bruno said:
Ride within your limitations. I ride with alot of different people at different levels and I know alot of riders who feel like they have to ride like their buddies and that is how people get hurt. I often ride with a bunch of sport bike riders, many who have been professionally trained. I cannot keep up with them and truthfully, I don't try. When they get to a stop sign, they wait for me. I refuse to get hurt or worse trying to do things I don't have the skills or the machine to do.

Respect your machine and your abilities. Your a smart man.
Great advice!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the support.  Most I've talked to think the 109 is too big and I'm nuts.  But it's easier to handle at slow speeds than my spirit 750, balance I guess.  I can ride school parking lots all day if my forearm didn't feel like was going to explode.  Not that I do that much. ::)  I'm just very cautious of the clutch and throttle.  It's more power than I'm ready for but it's one of the hottest bikes on the market.  I gotta tell you I feel real bad :edit: on it. :doorag:  I also get left by fellow riders but I'm too old (39) for that racing stuff.  IMO.  I get there when I do, safely.  I do however love the power pulling away from lights.  I haven't given it full throttle but WOW!  I keep thinking Uncle!  Uncle!  It's nice to have a bike that can give more than you want.  Awesome bike!!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
phaed said:
you have the right attitude. bikes are animals. the first time you lose respect for it it'll reach out and bite you. just have fun, and don't worry about where you compare to others. the skill will come over time with experience.
:agree: :agree: :bigthumbsup: :D :bigthumbsup: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
:welcome: :welcome: I started out with the 109 as my first bike ever. Not adviseable by some here, but I'm still alive. I, too, started slow and easy. After a month, I took the DMV test on it, and passed with flying colors. I can whip this thing slowly around any parking lot like it's a bicycle, because it's so well balanced. 5 months and 6500 miles later, and my pegs and pipes look like this...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I had riden mine over 500 miles, and still felt unconfident in many turns, especially if they're ''off-camber''. It seems by 600 miles I knew more what "WE'' could & couldn't do. I've got 1200 miles now, and know this is a GREAT motorcycle, just ''don't get cocky!'' :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm getting mine as soon as I find a black one, :hot:(just got the nod a few days ago from the misses) :hot: hopefully within a week. It will be my first bike. :eek: I grew up on dirt bikes and have ridden several crochrockets. I'm sure it will take some getting used to balancing on a big 109 but i'm confident I'll pick up on it swiftly. :doorag:    I like fast :evil:
BTW I think your supposed to replace the feelers before it goes that far :joke:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Valiant said:
I'm getting mine as soon as I find a black one, :hot:(just got the nod a few days ago from the misses) :hot: hopefully within a week. It will be my first bike. :eek: I grew up on dirt bikes and have ridden several crochrockets. I'm sure it will take some getting used to balancing on a big 109 but i'm confident I'll pick up on it swiftly. :doorag:Â Â I like fast :evil:
I think once you start digging into the pipes replacing the feelers on the pegs becomes unimportant... :joke:

·
Registered
890 Posts
JUtah said:
I think once you start digging into the pipes replacing the feelers on the pegs becomes unimportant... :joke:
He's way past that point now...we're talking replacing boot heels and socks :joke:

Devilish

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Valiant said:
Yeah, when I wore the feelers down and replaced them the first time, I took the bike for a 60 or 70 mile jaunt and wore half of the new feelers off. Needless to say, it was only a couple more times out before they wore down enough to realize that it was just cheaper to use the whole peg as my feeler. Besides, now that they're worn down like that, it actually increases my lean angle before touching. :bigthumbsup:

JUtah said:
I think once you start digging into the pipes replacing the feelers on the pegs becomes unimportant... :joke:
1+ :doorag:

DevilishEyes109 said:
He's way past that point now...we're talking replacing boot heels and socks :joke:

Devilish
Actually, my heels wore down long before I even began scraping the peg feelers. My work boots are looking pretty rough though. I have actually learned to just lift my heel when going into a corner so that the boot doesn't touch pavement anymore. It's all good now. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Medic, to which side do you corner harder??
Before I changed my foot position I would always drag my boots before pegs and I can easily tell by the wear on the heal of my boots that I corner harder right then left.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
JUtah said:
Medic, to which side do you corner harder??
Before I changed my foot position I would always drag my boots before pegs and I can easily tell by the wear on the heal of my boots that I corner harder right then left.
Well, based on the wear on my pegs, it looks like I corner harder to the left. This is about the same thing I noticed when I started scraping the pegs to begin with. I would scrape the left side much more than the right side. I think this is a lot due to the fact that the roads have a crown to allow water runoff, which means the road is angled higher on the left side, thus easier to hit with the peg. That's my thinking on this, but maybe it is a mental thing. I know when I first started riding, I found I could 'make myself' lean the bike left in a slow left turn much easier than I could make the bike lean to the right in a slow right hander... like when at a stop sign and turning right onto a two lane road. For some reason, those turns used to make me so nervous. Now, it's just as easy for me to lean right as it is to lean left.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts