M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed these Kuryakyn lights on the rear recently:

They sure are bright for how little they are :bigthumbsup:

This is with the brake applied. The run-turn-brake controller makes them light up when the brake is applied (hence, the name :D )

The run-turn-brake controller also has a feature which makes the lights flash four times before going solid when the brake is applied. Good safety feature, IMO.
I attached them to the old reflector brackets. This is the second set of aftermarket signals I've attached there and haven't had a problem yet.

I had the missus follow me for several blocks to check out the visibility of them and she said they really show up nice - even when she was right behind me at a stoplight :bigthumbsup: I mounted the controller under the seat, inside the plastic trim next to the battery compartment.

It nestled down in there perfectly and is easy to get to if anything happens. I hooked up the load equalizer that came with it and tie-wrapped it to the frame, just behind the small, black plastic cover on the left side of the bike below the seat.

Added a daylight photo of the signal lights.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
I installed these Kuryakyn lights on the rear recently:

They sure are bright for how little they are :bigthumbsup:

This is with the brake applied. The run-turn-brake controller makes them light up when the brake is applied (hence, the name :D )

The run-turn-brake controller also has a feature which makes the lights flash four times before going solid when the brake is applied. Good safety feature, IMO.
I attached them to the old reflector brackets. This is the second set of aftermarket signals I've attached there and haven't had a problem yet.Â

I had the missus follow me for several blocks to check out the visibility of them and she said they really show up nice - even when she was right behind me at a stoplight :bigthumbsup: I mounted the controller under the seat, inside the plastic trim next to the battery compartment.Â

It nestled down in there perfectly and is easy to get to if anything happens. I hooked up the load equalizer that came with it and tie-wrapped it to the frame, just behind the small, black plastic cover on the left side of the bike below the seat.
Nice, I did the same with the Kury large LEDS. I mounted everything inside the chrome fender strut to hide it. I'm very happy with it and the visibility is amazing! Much safer. Take care...

G

·
They look nice.

So you used the existing reflector bracket itself or did you use a different bracket and just swapped them?  I was looking at these lights on a website and was wondering how I could attach them.  If I can use the existing reflector brackets that would be perfect!

What did you do with the license plate holder that had the old signal lights?  Just remove the old signals? Or did you replace that as well? If so, with what? 

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
notlohdahc said:
They look nice.

So you used the existing reflector bracket itself or did you use a different bracket and just swapped them? I was looking at these lights on a website and was wondering how I could attach them. If I can use the existing reflector brackets that would be perfect!

What did you do with the license plate holder that had the old signal lights? Just remove the old signals? Or did you replace that as well? If so, with what?
I used the existing reflector brackets. I had to drill the hole in the bracket to make it a little bigger for the new signal light bolts. The metal used for the reflector brackets isn't the sturdiest but I figure if something comes into contact with the lights, maybe the brackets will bend with the impact instead of tearing the lights off. I removed the rear plastic cover assembly, cut the wires at the signal lights and license plate light, and cut the big piece of black plastic (license plate holder and signal mounts) off of the rear. I mounted the license plate with the two bolts that are already under the fender. Once you take the rear cover off, you'll be able to see what's REALLY going on under there :eek:

Here's a link to a post by Lamont that shows how to disassemble the rear plastic cover so you can get in there and check things out:
:Click: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=935.msg10366#msg10366

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I like em, And I would do it too except I am freaked out by RED blinkers.
Way back someone told me, or I read somewhere that amber is the easiest color to see in all conditions...
Now I cant get it out of my head that I need amber signals to be sure people KNOW I am turning!!
I even consider whether they are there or not when I buy a car/truck!!!

Wheres my therapist????

Sledzep

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sledzep01 said:
I like em, And I would do it too except I am freaked out by RED blinkers.
Way back someone told me, or I read somewhere that amber is the easiest color to see in all conditions...
Now I cant get it out of my head that I need amber signals to be sure people KNOW I am turning!!
I even consider whether they are there or not when I buy a car/truck!!!

Wheres my therapist????

Sledzep
"...Take two Xanax and call me in the morning..." :joke:

I figure when I hit the brakes and the whole @ss-end of the bike lights up, whoever is behind me will be able to see that one of the lights are blinking :D I think I'm gonna put the amber version of these up front. I like the way they look on the M :bigthumbsup:

Anyone know of a unit similar to the Kuryakyn run-turn-brake controller with just the "run" feature for two-wire lights?

Modified to add: Got the fronts swapped :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
rastus said:
Is that a chunk of metal missing from your rim? :eek:
I believe that is a normal hole (casting??). I know because not matter how hard I try to rinse it out, when I move my bike afte washing some sludge comes out from inside the wheel!!

Sledzep

·
Registered
849 Posts
I used my stock turn light housings, loaded them up with 48 red LED bulbs in back, and 24 yellow LEDs in front, and then put clear lens on them. I then installed the Run, Turn, and Brake unit from Kuryaken. You'll need load equalizers with it to slow down the blinking rate. Unit fits nicely under the seat and comes with good instructions. I've had people follow me until I stopped, and then ask me how I got all that brightness in back.
This shot is with just the running lights on in the daytime. It's hard to appreciate how bright this unit is from a pic, but following it, you'll never miss that a bike is running away from you.
For a license plate bracket, I cut the stock one down to eliminate the reflector, used a dremmel to smooth the edges, angled the plate out for looks, and then added the red LED lit chrome plate bracket with a white LED plate light from Directline parts for more signal area when I'm riding at night. This opened the rear tire up nicely too.
The other nice feature is these LEDs draw practically no current and run very cool for that reason.
Jer

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
jerbear said:
I used my stock turn light housings, loaded them up with 48 red LED bulbs in back, and 24 yellow LEDs in front, and then put clear lens on them. I then installed the Run, Turn, and Brake unit from Kuryaken. You'll need load equalizers with it to slow down the blinking rate. Unit fits nicely under the seat and comes with good instructions. I've had people follow me until I stopped, and then ask me how I got all that brightness in back.
This shot is with just the running lights on in the daytime. It's hard to appreciate how bright this unit is from a pic, but following it, you'll never miss that a bike is running away from you.
For a license plate bracket, I cut the stock one down to eliminate the reflector, used a dremmel to smooth the edges, angled the plate out for looks, and then added the red LED lit chrome plate bracket with a white LED plate light from Directline parts for more signal area when I'm riding at night. This opened the rear tire up nicely too.
The other nice feature is these LEDs draw practically no current and run very cool for that reason.
Jer

Jerbear, I cant tell are they on?? :a20: :a20: Wow they are very bright!

Can we get a pic of them at night? Where did you buy the bulbs? DLP??

Sledzep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts