M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys got the greenlight from the wife on a new Bike purchase. I was sold on the M109 however I am hearing alot of good things about the 90.

Who wants to give me some advice hear? Please don't be biased if you had the money and could do it over again, would it be the 90?

Thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
Guys got the greenlight from the wife on a new Bike purchase. I was sold on the M109 however I am hearing alot of good things about the 90.

Who wants to give me some advice hear? Please don't be biased if you had the money and could do it over again, would it be the 90?

Thanks
I really like my 90, but I will be trading up soon to a 109. I wish I would have bought the 109 instead.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think it is all up to you. The 109 is an absolute beast but I felt the 90 fit me better size wise. The 90 handles better than the 109, but the 109 will pull your arms out of your sockets on accelaration. The brakes on the 109 are more advanced and have more feel. The 90 will comne to you a few grand cheaper and that buys a lot of toys also. I am very happy with my 90 and if I had to do it again I would stay with it but I also understand the other side of the argument.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
purchase

Very interesting amvince, I am selling my 08 C50 that is totally customized and I noticed you came off or have an 07 M50. Have you found I big difference in the engine from the M50 to the M90. Revs on highway and performance. You gave me more to think about and I am not sure I like that:dontknow:

·
Registered
788 Posts
The M90 is a huge performance difference from the 50 series as far as engine. It is fantastic on the highway. The gearing on the M90 is very high so 5th gear really is only used at 55 MPH plus by most people. Some might even say higher. When I am getting on a highway I usually don't get past 3rd gear and then shift into 4 and 5th once cruising. I would really suggest finding some place that you can ride the bikes. Test rides aren't perfect but they do at least give you an indication of the bike. Both bikes will vibrate much more than the 50 series especially at low speed if you choose the wrong gear. That is not a fault of the bikes but they way big V twins operate. Just do a search on them. I can't really give any advice on the 109 since I don't have one but anything that makes 100 plus HP and FT. Lbs of torque is going to move out even faster. Here are a few write ups on both bikes (Yes the second link is from a womans magazine).

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2009-suzuki-boulevard-m90-review-87567.html

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?lid=1137

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/239/1592/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Suzuki-Boulevard-M90-First-Ride.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/459/Motorcycles/Suzuki-M109.aspx

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/2006_suzuki_boulevard_m109r/index.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love my 90... but at the same time if i would have had the extra cash at the time i would have bought the 109.

There are finally some good mods out there for the M90 but way more for the M109r. If i could do it all over again... i might have actually waited a few more months and bought the m109r.

My friend has a m109r... i love the torque and fat tire... but i also like the tall gears on the 90. If highway cruising and slower twisties is more your style... deff try out the M90. If shoulder wrenching torque and top end cruiser speed is more your style...deff try out the M109r.

Eitherway... as i am sure everyone else here will agree... you will love your purchase...and your wife will hate all the attention you will give it and thats before the MOD BUG bites....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love my 90. I ride with a bunch of 109's, and never feel like I'm trying to catch up. There's plenty of power available, if that's your concern...

I like the looks of the fat tire, so I installed it on my 90 and it completely changed the bike's attitude. There are some things I wish we had like the 109 which is the rad shroud, even with the aftermarket corbin's that are available it's still not quite the same, and some of the beefier components like the brakes.

Overall, the 109 is awesome, but I have no regrets of choosing the 90 over the 109. I figure the engine is absolutely fine, the rest can be modded as I like although if I had the chance to pick up an '08 M109R with 900 miles for under 9K.......well......:redfaced:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
it,s like getting a Mustang with a V-6 or V-8, which do you want?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ehh i wouldn't say there is that much of a power difference... maybe the difference between a 302 or a 302 supercharged?? I have never been dusted by either of the guys i ride with that have 109's... do they pull from me?? of course they do... but not so bad that i am alsways trying to catch up. Now we have a friend that rides with us with his M50... and he has to beat that bike beyond belief just to be able to see us in the distance :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Exactly what I have noticed. I can ride with them and pull just as hard in the first couple of gears and still be there. After that were already doing well over 100 and time to slow anyways.

Actually comparing the v6 vs v8 in the new camaro is fair. 300 horses versus 420. The v6 is no slouch

·
Registered
36 Posts
New Purchase

I chose the 90 because it was my first bike and felt that the 109 may have been a bit much just starting out. I also felt like I was reaching too much when sitting on the 109. As far as looks, most can't tell the difference between my 90 and a 109. I have customized a radiator shroud that sets it off just as nice as the 109. I am quite satisfied with it. Now that I am more experienced at riding, I would probably give more thought to the 109.

QUOTE=muckers;1336880]Guys got the greenlight from the wife on a new
Bike purchase. I was sold on the M109 however I am hearing alot of good things about the 90.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
735 Posts
even the 302, 302 supercharged comparo, there is a stark difference in both sets of cars, but m109 all the way. Go Big or stay home. the M109 is my first bike, But I also weigh 270 , and i 6"5'. iF I WAS 5"5 and 150 lbs, maybe I would have picked the M90 instead. Nt saying the 90 is for lil guys and the 109 is for the big boys but it did factor into the equation for me

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tried the M109 and found it to be a little too much for me. I liked the power and sound and instrumentation, but I felt very stretched out and not at all comfortable or confident with the riding position and weight. It's handling in the twisties was sluggish because of the very wide back tire.
The M90 has almost the same power output and I can reach the bars and forward controls without feeling like I'm going to fall off it. It handles like a crotch rocket in the twisties because of the narrower rear tire.
The only thing I miss about the 109 compared to the 90 is the front rad cover on the 109. It sort of finishes the look, but I hear that some after market covers are coming available soon for the 90.
All in all, I prefer the M90 over the M109.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts