M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got something new to keep me busy. 39 Chevy Street Rod that has belonged to my dad for the last 13 years. Before that he bought it from the guy who had it built as you see here. Can't tell too much from the pics but it needs LOTS of work to get back into "show condition"
Apparently it was a pretty big deal in the early eighties. Won lots of shows and toured Europe, featured in some mags too (If anybody has early 80's mags that might have this car in them, I'd love to have them, haven't had much luck finding them).

Plan to strip it down and new paint of course. Update the front and rear end to lose the 80's and bring it into the 21st century. Modern rims and tires, probably new suspension and air bags to drop in in the weeds for shows. Interior isn't bad but could be updated. It was a full show car at one time so a lot of the under carriage was chromed and painted. Chrome is chipping and rusting, there is no heat or air, no wipers, not really any front windows and it has a buick v-6 which is not really fitting of a hot rod So a new powerplant has to go in at some point too.

Gonna have to paint a lot of bikes to finance this :D

on with the pics:

if anybody runs across any good deals on parts for a 39, craigslist, ebay, whatever, send them my way.
Interested in grilles, original style headlights, roll pan for the rear, aftermarket fiberglass front end/hood

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
WOW!! That front end looks like a PT cruiser kit for a VW kit car!! Definitely screams 80's!! The flames aren't terrible, but the gold nose isn't helping it's case at all. I second the rear roll pan. As for the Buick V-6, you could swap in a Grand National V-6 and then it wwould be worthy of a hotrod without too many engine bay mods. I"m a Buick fanatic, so I have to :bigthumbsup: the v-6 choice. Are those spotlights doubling as mirrors?? I'll start a search on my e-bay/ craigslist search for 39 chevy parts and let you know when things pop up. Definitely a sweet cruiser with some nice lines. It just needs some updating. I'm surprised it doesn't have a mullet!! Good luck.

-Josh

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should post a video of it running. I can only imagine that car sounding real nice! I think it looks awesome as is. That is some great craftsmanship on the front end.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should post a video of it running. I can only imagine that car sounding real nice! I think it looks awesome as is. That is some great craftsmanship on the front end.
not as great as you'd think. It hasn't been driven much. Dad just drove it about 3 miles a week, before he bought it, it was in storage for about 10 years. Just a v-6 so it's not much to hear. Hope it will be some day though.

I know what you mean about the craftsmanship. I know the shop that built it, they were tops around this area of the country back then and I always wanted to go to work for them. I went to auto body vo-tech with the daughter of the owner of that shop and he wanted me to airbrush for him, but couldn't get the hang of it back then....go figure.

I was a bit torn about changing it because it's "in" right now to restore classic show cars to the way they were. But I don't really like the looks of the bumper and the headlights and the gold and red has to go.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hey Joe. You ever work a piece of metal canvas that big? Wonder what it would look like with a Motorcycle Muscle bike theme.
Skulls and all. It has all the right bones and a Lightly modded 231 with a hairdryer/intercooler and no smog makes Sick sneaky HP with pretty good gas milage. One of my buddies runs a 9sec GNX that they still put on the street once in a while.
Bob

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Joe. You ever work a piece of metal canvas that big? Wonder what it would look like with a Motorcycle Muscle bike theme.
Skulls and all. It has all the right bones and a Lightly modded 231 with a hairdryer/intercooler and no smog makes Sick sneaky HP with pretty good gas milage. One of my buddies runs a 9sec GNX that they still put on the street once in a while.
Bob
yeah they can be badass. it has a buick frame grafted on for the frontend and motor but I really need to change it out to get the wheels tucked back into the fenders. The frame is too wide to do what I need to do suspension wise

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
Joe, that's a great looking car as it is, I can't wait to see what you turn it into. Great keeping it in the family too. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

I'm trying to like the headlights but they just don't flow with the car for me. There's nothing squared off on it except for the headlights and a little of the bumpers. Maybe I'm just accustomed to seeing round headlights on old street rods.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe, that's a great looking car as it is, I can't wait to see what you turn it into. Great keeping it in the family too. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

I'm trying to like the headlights but they just don't flow with the car for me. There's nothing squared off on it except for the headlights and a little of the bumpers. Maybe I'm just accustomed to seeing round headlights on old street rods.
yeah, that was the 80's for ya. why graft square parts onto a completely curved car? makes no sense

·
Registered
940 Posts
I like that car but would change the front cap back to original or close, I would love to see it jet black with a 383 stroker under the hood, have fun with it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Nice Car, nice project, my brother in law has the same car, same year all rusted on the side of his house, hes thinking about restoring it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts