M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...didn't have the time or space to tackle this install myself so I broke down and brought them into dealer to install, along with k&n and pcIII. Couple of hours no bigee, and I'd be riding that day.

Hahaha...boy did I forget about Murphy, five hours later I find out they're having problems and not going to be able to get the bike until TUesday now :swear:
-First, bolt was stripped on stock exhaust (how could that be I say, I never touched it, must've been done at the factory they say:dontknow:)
-next the bracket supplied by MeanCycles for the HK pipes doesn't fit. No matter how they tried they couldn't line the holes up. Must be the wrong or incorrect bracket from the factory, :edit::edit: I say. Just redrill a couple holes.
-next they can't get the stock air cover to seal properly over the K&N filter, wtf :swear::swear::swear:, I say.
Can this be??
Have I run across an incompetent mechanic at the dealership, or anyone else experience these problems :dontknow:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Remember this, even though they are Suzuki dealers and mechanics. How often do they see a 9 let alone work on one? It probably was the mechanic's first 9 he's worked on. Aftermarket parts are hit and miss. Little tweeking here and there is usually always required.
In the long run, you'll enjoy the mods

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
That's why I do my own work. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but you know first hand if the problem was actually the manny's fault or that of the shop mechanic.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's why I do my own work. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but you know first hand if the problem was actually the manny's fault or that of the shop mechanic.
:agree:with you this way you know who screwed up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
:agree: Always do your own work. If you don't know how, ask on here. That's how you learn by just jumping in and doing it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well my Velocity Pros came in but they are waiting for me in Vegas and I can't wait!!

Did the dealer at least give you a quote for the install?? and are they willing to stick to that amount or are they going to charge you for ALL the hours put into the install??

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Aftermarket parts

I'm trying to remember if I've ever instaled an aftermarket part that fit without me having to grind or drill something........... can't think of any.
Kuryakyn, Cobra, Mustang seats, they all needed to be modded before they fit.
So asking a Suzuki shop to do aftermarket mods they've never done before with parts that don't fit, I don't know how you can fault them, except maybe not telling you it may take a few days.
And factory stripped bolts aren't a big surprise either. My 1500 Intruder had a stripped header bolt from the factory. Then the guy who assembled it stripped 3 of the 4 windsheild bolts.
Just go with the flow, it'll all work out.
Happy riding.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I'm trying to remember if I've ever instaled an aftermarket part that fit without me having to grind or drill something........... can't think of any.
So asking a Suzuki shop to do aftermarket mods they've never done before with parts that don't fit, I don't know how you can fault them, except maybe not telling you it may take a few days.
And factory stripped bolts aren't a big surprise either. My 1500 Intruder had a stripped header bolt from the factory. Then the guy who assembled it stripped 3 of the 4 windsheild bolts.
Happy riding.
My Cobra Swepts went on w/ no issues. Bought them used also.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Happy riding.
My V&H Bigshots bolted right up. No mods needed to get mounting bracket on and header pipes lined up. Now my Raw Pipe was a completly different story!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
My RB Velocity Pros went on without any trouble or modification, was 100% easier than the Cobra Slashdowns I put on at first.

·
Registered
176 Posts
:agree: Always do your own work. If you don't know how, ask on here. That's how you learn by just jumping in and doing it.
:agree: When I first got my bike, I called the local Suzuki dealer and asked what they charged for installing pipes....they said "M109? not real familiar with that model, I'll have to check the books to see how many hours it calls for...." Ever since that day a year ago, I have always worked on my own bike, from changing oil to removing clutch plates....thanks to good people on here willing to help out with questions and problems, it is not that hard to do.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Timbo, your bike looks really good and the guys on this forum are a big help to myself and alot of other people who have troubles,for myself I'd be lost without them. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It's probably a little late for us to help but in the install instructions for the velocity pro it says to just start the bolts and dont tighten them until you have all of the fasteners started in the threads. I personally had problems installing mine but I had a broken arm at the time. I had a hard time getting the bolts for the mounting bracket to line up as well so I went in the house and asked my wife for help. :nojoke: We got it done!:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
That's a classic case of why I don't and never have taken a car, truck or bike to a dealer. They can only fix or install something the way the instructions or the manual says to do it, they can't usually modify something to make it work. I go along with CBR about needing to tweak most things to get them to work, either because they were poorly designed or I'm just picky and don't like the way it was supposed to work.

Plus I make a lot of stuff that a dealer would never touch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...yeah, did my other mods myself with help from this board. This time got into a time squeeze with the bad weather and couldn't resist the idea of getting the rest of the mods done in two hours so I could be out riding.
I guess I can't blame them on this one, they said they'd stand by their original two hour quote for service so at least they're not delaying to shine me on.
Patience I guess...something that I seem to have less and less of the older I get :D

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Shocked to hear that the dealer would only charge you 2 hours to install those three mods. I like most on here do my own work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts