M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I purchased my '07 109 in November after trading in my beloved GSXR-750 you see as my avatar. I will change that avatar to the 9 once I get it out of winter hibernation. I have read so many threads here that are helpful but I do have a question on reliability? Is the M109 a reliable motorcycle. I love to ride and this is the 4th Suzuki that I have owned and save for batteries that died from normal use and wear I have never had a problem. Should I be concerned that I will be spending more time in the shop than on the road this year?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Hello all. I purchased my '07 109 in November after trading in my beloved GSXR-750 you see as my avatar. I will change that avatar to the 9 once I get it out of winter hibernation. I have read so many threads here that are helpful but I do have a question on reliability? Is the M109 a reliable motorcycle. I love to ride and this is the 4th Suzuki that I have owned and save for batteries that died from normal use and wear I have never had a problem. Should I be concerned that I will be spending more time in the shop than on the road this year?
I believe that most of the "issues" with the M109 are luck of the draw. There were a few issues with the rear rotor on the 06 and 07, but they've pretty much been addressed and corrected. I believe the 06 had a fuel rail recall, but the shift fork issues and the clutch tube nut issues seem to be very minumal, although are a big deal when they occur. The only issue with my 07 is that I can't stop wearing out tires!!

-Josh

·
Registered
314 Posts
No, the 9 is a great machine and you`ll have no problem with it.:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. ride safe and watch the mod bug.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I have had no issues with mine since march of 06. Maintain her and she will do fine. Race her like a sport bike frequently and you never know. Racing can be a very expensive hobby.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

Where are you in MD? Hope to see you on a couple of rides this coming year and at the BIG Meet in June.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
The biggest issues (as in expensive) have been with worn or bent shift forks. If you shift it and it grates or grinds going into 2nd, adjust the shifting so it doesn't do it. The best way to avoid it is to shift into 2nd early, which doesn't hurt with the torque this thing has.

Other than that, change the oil and ride.

:welcome: to the forum too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Gottattooz. I will monitor the rear closely and as far as the tire is concerned the previous owner must have been timid with is right hand. The tire still looks new.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, the 9 is a great machine and you`ll have no problem with it.:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. ride safe and watch the mod bug.
Thank you. I will keep a keen eye. It came with roadburner double eagles so she already sounds great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had no issues with mine since march of 06. Maintain her and she will do fine. Race her like a sport bike frequently and you never know. Racing can be a very expensive hobby.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

Where are you in MD? Hope to see you on a couple of rides this coming year and at the BIG Meet in June.
Thank you. I don't plan on racing as I have given up the sport bike for more comfortable ride but didn't want to lose on major power. I have only been able to get about 100 or so miles in and I know that I will be able to keep up easily.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Hi and welcome, I have an 07 LE and i don't know if previous owner fixed any probs it might have had, But I have had no issues what so ever with mine. Shifts like a dream, no clutch shudder, rotors haven't fell off. So far so good..........

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am in Cheltenham, MD. It is about 20 minutes south of DC near Andrews Air Force Base.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi and welcome, I have an 07 LE and i don't know if previous owner fixed any probs it might have had, But I have had no issues what so ever with mine. Shifts like a dream, no clutch shudder, rotors haven't fell off. So far so good..........
Hello to you also. I don't know what the previous owner did also since it was barely broken in by my standards. I picked it up with 3300 miles on it. Oh well I guess I have to wait until the weather breaks to evaluate it. I will be keeping my fingers crossed though.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
like you have found, ALL questions will be answered here quickly.
:welcome:
Good bunch of guys too. No question is dumb....wellll almost. The search is kinda hard to find stuff sometimes cause its so full of info

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hello and :welcome: I bought my 07 with about the same miles as yours and just lub:-* the thing! The torque is very addictive :evil:

I've heard a clank every once in a while when I use the rear brake ...took it to a bike mechanic (who I know and respect) he said everything looked normal -rotor/brake area- Only hear it once in a great while. I'll replace the rotor when I get 'nuff mod money!! and other than a clutch cable adjustment and usual maintenance, it's been a great first Zuki for me.
-chris

·
Registered
766 Posts
The biggest issues (as in expensive) have been with worn or bent shift forks. If you shift it and it grates or grinds going into 2nd, adjust the shifting so it doesn't do it. The best way to avoid it is to shift into 2nd early, which doesn't hurt with the torque this thing has.

Other than that, change the oil and ride.

:welcome: to the forum too.
chiiiit. now you tell us Zoom!!!! welcome and get that wallet ready for the time when that vicious and persistant mod bug grabs you!!!

enjoy her!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts