M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just picked up my black 07 yesterday, and have a few questions that some of you vets may be able to answer for me. First, what is the deal with shifting from 1st to 2nd? I've never ridden a bike that shifts so violently... My dad followed me home from the dealer in his car and he could hear the bike shift from about 50 ft away. Does this go away? The other question was about the first maintenance. The manual clearly states that the bike should not be run over 3500 RPM for the first 500 miles, but when I asked my dealer about this they told me otherwise. The tech there said that it's not all that important to do, but I should make sure I don't always run at the same RPM. I haven't done anything *too* crazy on the bike yet, but coming from a much smaller bike with a higher redline, I let the 109 rev higher then I should. Thanks!

-Thomas

G

·
twsnnva said:
Hello All,
I just picked up my black 07 yesterday, and have a few questions that some of you vets may be able to answer for me. First, what is the deal with shifting from 1st to 2nd? I've never ridden a bike that shifts so violently... My dad followed me home from the dealer in his car and he could hear the bike shift from about 50 ft away. Does this go away? The other question was about the first maintenance. The manual clearly states that the bike should not be run over 3500 RPM for the first 500 miles, but when I asked my dealer about this they told me otherwise. The tech there said that it's not all that important to do, but I should make sure I don't always run at the same RPM. I haven't done anything *too* crazy on the bike yet, but coming from a much smaller bike with a higher redline, I let the 109 rev higher then I should. Thanks!

-Thomas
shifting - do a search,its normal
RPM's while breaking in the bike - everyone has a different opinion on this. I'd say giving her hell (if alot of hell, maybe change the oil sooner than 600 miles to get those metal shavings outta there) or babying it like the manual says will end up with a bike that behaves the same but I think being more aggresive than the manual states, especially for the first 50 miles or so is important, IMO. many people smarter than me will chime in here on this one

·
Registered
775 Posts
the shifting from 1 to 2 is completely normal. it does smooth out a little as the miles go by. mostly because you get more used to bike and acquire smoother shifting ability.
as breaking it in; i've owned alot of bikes, all different kinds, i break them in at about 90 for at least 60 miles. if it's gonna break, you want it to do it sooner than later. ( warranty and all that). opinions will vary on this subject but i say ride today like you're gonna ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are not alone....had mine for 3 weeks now and what a mission changing from 2nd to 1st. Neutral to 1st is sometimes a hassle if you in traffic and find you cannot engage 1st. I now finding it easier as you need to feather the clutch in neutral for easy engagement. I would cosider this problem to ease up as the bike increases with usage. Like all things in life...practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi and Congrads......Mine is an 06 with 2200 miles. I changed to Amsoil in the crankcase with a Suzuki filter change and Amsoil in the driveshaft. Easy to do but there have been others with dealer oil changes. I suggest measuring the oil as you add it back in.

Mine clunked quite a bit too but improved with miles and a definate change for the better with Amsoil. Also, maybe this just happened but just after I had it dyno'ed in is now really quiet.

I don't downshift and slow much anymore. I usually bring it down through the gears and leave it in 2nd until I get to less than 5 - 10 mph, This makes it really shift quiet. Watch the engine compression braking while downshifting, it is a real bear in 2nd and 1st at too high a speed. Enjoy your ride and search this website for lots of good info. JOHN

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey TWSNNUA I have an 07 RED ,just had the 600 mile service and my bike shifts noticeably better with just the first oil change :bigthumbsup:

you will probably notice a little vibration between 3500/4000 R,P,M 'S this is also normal, but you shouldn't feel that till you have had your first service and can run her up to 5500 :D

Like a lot of the guy's here say it just get's better every time you ride :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mack400 said:
Hi and Congrads......Mine is an 06 with 2200 miles. I changed to Amsoil in the crankcase with a Suzuki filter change and Amsoil in the driveshaft. Easy to do but there have been others with dealer oil changes. I suggest measuring the oil as you add it back in.

Mine clunked quite a bit too but improved with miles and a definate change for the better with Amsoil. Also, maybe this just happened but just after I had it dyno'ed in is now really quiet.

I don't downshift and slow much anymore. I usually bring it down through the gears and leave it in 2nd until I get to less than 5 - 10 mph, This makes it really shift quiet. Watch the engine compression braking while downshifting, it is a real bear in 2nd and 1st at too high a speed. Enjoy your ride and search this website for lots of good info. JOHN
For sure be careful with the downshifting/engine breaking...unless you're bronko certified, it can make for a very interesting experience. Practice that though, because its great to be able to gage your speed in sweepers and never touch your break :doorag: Your bike will smooth out the more you ride so ride! Not knowing your background on bikes, V-twins are a different beast than crouch rockets, it takes a bit of getting used to. Like others have said you don't have to "baby" this bike, but you do have to respect it...cause it will eat your lunch if you don't.
Congrats on your new Bike...welcome

Devilish

·
Registered
106 Posts
dido .... move the rpm's around. no red lining.

welcome to the club :bigthumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.