M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i did a ducks mod (outstanding work) with k&n air filters. i then put a power commander III and road burner velocity pros on. I took it to shop, got it tuned and am putting 108 hp and 109 tq...is that right?

now it feels good on my highly tuned ass-dyno. smooth as silk, but numbers seem pretty low.

thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
That sounds a little low, but it's all relative. Dynos are good for tuning and for comparisons on the same bike as you do different mods, but not so good for comparisons to runs on other dynos. You can make them say pretty much what you want.

I'm assuming the A/F ratio curve was nice and smooth when they tuned it? And did you block off the opening on the back of the air boxes? I ask about the air boxes because the Ducks covers need to have at least as much open area as the original openings or you're restricting the air going into it.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
That sounds a little low, but it's all relative. Dynos are good for tuning and for comparisons on the same bike as you do different mods, but not so good for comparisons to runs on other dynos. You can make them say pretty much what you want.

I'm assuming the A/F ratio curve was nice and smooth when they tuned it? And did you block off the opening on the back of the air boxes? I ask about the air boxes because the Ducks covers need to have at least as much open area as the original openings or you're restricting the air going into it.
:agree:
post up some pictures of your air covers. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
didnt block em off, wanted power, but not looking to drag it or anything. it feels good so im really excited, but numbers looked down is all.

thanks for the input...i feel i little bit better

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotta bust out the camera and i will take pics. i live in the chicago area too...where you live about?

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts

:agree: you could do a dyno pull on another dyno and show 130 HP. It depends on how the set it up like Zoom stated.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, but how would a Duck cover not have much more of an opening that the stock opening? The stock intake opening is tiny compared to the opening the Duck provides.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, but how would a Duck cover not have much more of an opening that the stock opening? The stock intake opening is tiny compared to the opening the Duck provides.
Really it all depends on your Ducks Cover design. Not all designs/air flow are equal. Look at the examples below. The one on the left has a large open air design. The one on the right is tiny and if he blocked off the back of the cover it appears he would not be getting enough air flow to the motor IMO.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
if your serius about making hp pic a better pipe also if your fine with the hp riding it a number is a number and leave it at that

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Really it all depends on your Ducks Cover design. Not all designs/air flow are equal. Look at the examples below. The one on the left has a large open air design. The one on the right is tiny and if he blocked off the back of the cover it appears he would not be getting enough air flow to the motor IMO.
Have you seen the stock air box opening? It's only a little larger than a 50 cent piece.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
you could do a dyno pull on another dyno and show 130 HP. It depends on how the set it up like Zoom stated.
Is that really true? I've never been to the dyno so I don't have much if any knowledge about it. It just seems crazy to me that one guy could Dyno it at 108hp and another guy could Dyno it at 130hp. I mean I guess I could understand a 1hp or 2hp difference but why the huge difference depending on the tech and the equipment and air temp? I'm honestly just asking because I don't know.

Have you seen the stock air box opening? It's only a little larger than a 50 cent piece.
Yeah I have. Actually it's 2" in diameter. I have mine blocked off because I have plenty of open area on the front of my box with the type of Ducks design that I went with. My point is that you have to take into consideration each design. Some will be about the same or possibly less than the stock intake. Most designs should be quite a bit more than stock however.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going to post pics of my covers here shortly, but i went with a biohazard symbol with black mesh. I can feel the air sucking in and i DID leave the stock hole in the rear of the air box open.

It feels great so im happy, just thought numbers would be higher.

The pipe is seriously perfection, low rumble if you want and roars if you wanna give it some juice.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It feels great so im happy,
Ultimately that's all that matters bro! :doorag:

Personally I think the numbers are low for sure. You should be up around 120+ hp from what I've seen other guys post with a similar setup but like I said I've never Dyno'ed before so I don't get the reason why it's not registering higher.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is what it is, i do have a TRE coming so it will be another little kick in the low gears.

should be fun, cant wait to put some miles on it now...only got about 300 :p

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine was 113hp and106 torq but that was after tunning both cylinders and making a custom map I think he did 7 pulls to get it here. the owner sai it went up about 10hp all in all. mods Hyper chargers stock exhaust half gutted,power camander. I too am new to the dyno thing but new I wanted it tuned completly for the best running engine.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Im going to post pics of my covers here shortly, but i went with a biohazard symbol with black mesh. I can feel the air sucking in and i DID leave the stock hole in the rear of the air box open.

It feels great so im happy, just thought numbers would be higher.

The pipe is seriously perfection, low rumble if you want and roars if you wanna give it some juice.
To get the most HP you should block off the back holes. Cold air is better then hot air.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
To get the most HP you should block off the back holes. Cold air is better then hot air.
What some are correctly trying to convey here is that some air cover mods let in less cold air than the stock opening in the back of the assembly. Just because the design "looks" like it has more inlet area doesn't necessarily mean it flows more air. So......

...hot air is better than not enough air. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
What some are correctly trying to convey here is that some air cover mods let in less cold air than the stock opening in the back of the assembly. Just because the design "looks" like it has more inlet area doesn't necessarily mean it flows more air. So......

...hot air is better than not enough air. :bigthumbsup:
Of course, if there design cut out has less cubic inch opening then the rear hole, leave it open. But if they have more cubic inches open in the cover from the design, close that hole up.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Of course, if there design cut out has less cubic inch opening then the rear hole, leave it open. But if they have more cubic inches open in the cover from the design, close that hole up.
Actually, that's square inches. But we know what you mean. :D

Grampi, I'm not going to discuss the 50 cent piece issue with you again. Your money must be a lot bigger than mine. And there are some Duck designs that won't let in as much air as the rear opening does. It all depends on the design, as was said by others.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
if it was dyno'd in 5th gear without a tre installed you didnt get a true reading (it will hit the limiter before max hp)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts