M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! Just got my new Metz 260 and 160 mounted. What a difference. I was running E-3's front and rear. The new Metz's are ultra smooth and absolutely stick to the road but the biggest difference is how much better I can hold a line in curves. I swear it feels like I'm on rails. I could not be happier with the switch. Thanks to everyone on your advice about the tires. I would have never thought of the change without you. Safe riding. 8)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Unfortunately, it's one of those things you don't really believe until you do it. There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about tires, and I can't stress enough how awesome Metzelers are, especially the 160/60 front. :congrats: and ride safe.

-Josh

·
Registered
561 Posts
Unfortunately, it's one of those things you don't really believe until you do it. There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about tires, and I can't stress enough how awesome Metzelers are, especially the 160/60 front. :congrats: and ride safe.

-Josh
So what exactly does going to a bigger front tire gain?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Like previously mentioned, a better contact patch with the road and more ground clearance. Other differences are more neutral steering and the fatter tire absorbs bumps better. Still a solid ride, just less jarring from harder bumps. Mine has given me more confidence in my riding ability. Like TopGun said, I'll never go back to stock.

-Josh

·
Registered
976 Posts
How is the 160/60 tire at speed?(100mph+)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am getting confused.

A lot of people on here...especially some the the very active members, have been singing the praises of the 260/160 Metzeler combo. I love the look, so I was about to make the purchased yesterday. I got busy and put it off until today. Just before making the purchase online, I received an email from Metzeler USA. I had asked the about the 260/160 combo...stated that I would be running the 160 in reverse...as suggested on many forums on here. This is their EXACT response:

Hello

Please use the attached brochure to see the North American range, tire specs, suggested fitments including the famous Metzeler upgrades, and other important technical data.

It unfortunate that forums/chat rooms can put out incorrect information and you should know that motorcycle tires are not a universal fit for any bike at any time.

One should never run a rear tire on the front of a bike and the exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. BUT this happens typically only with scooter tires and virtually never with a modern motorcycle tire. Tire's have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation, and load rating that is important to the safe handling of the bike and by running a tire without the suggestion of the tire company one could create a problem with the bike or tire. Thanks for the e-mail and have a great day.

NA Metzeler Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.us.metzelermoto.com

I am now sorry that I asked the question. How can I put something on my bike, that the company is saying no to. Who was it that was quoting Metzeler, saying it was ok to run these 160's?:dontknow:

Dave

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Mods

Everyone who mods their bike has to make their own decisions about safety. I'm sure Suzuki would tell me that I can't mount Harley Fatboy handlebars on my 109, or even a different tire than stock. Different wheels, tires, footpegs, exhaust, or a non Suzuki windsheild for that matter, would not be approved.
If you don't feel comfortable running a 160 in reverse, by all means, don't.
I do, and love it. I think I'm more likely to be struck by lightening than have my tire come apart, but it's my life, and I'll do what I think best.
We have had some members almost crash from aftermarket brake levers locking the front wheel, so it pays to read up on any mods first.
Buyer beware.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A company will cover their ass whenever possible even if its not necessary. A rear tire is built to handle a higher load weight so in all honesty this 160 is prolly safer than stock if not for this reason than for the fact that it improves the handing physics of the bike. I will definitely go 160 on my next tire change myself

·
Registered
534 Posts
Guys, do not get me wrong here. I fully get that what you do with your bike is your business. I just remember reading that someone quoted Metzeler as stating they agreed or gave their blessing to reverse the 160....blah blah blah.
Just wanted folks to know that there is some confusion from both sides...and to be careful with this mod. I guess be careful with any mod...

Dave

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
A lot of people on here...especially some the the very active members, have been singing the praises of the 260/160 Metzeler combo. I love the look, so I was about to make the purchased yesterday. I got busy and put it off until today. Just before making the purchase online, I received an email from Metzeler USA. I had asked the about the 260/160 combo...stated that I would be running the 160 in reverse...as suggested on many forums on here. This is their EXACT response:

Hello

Please use the attached brochure to see the North American range, tire specs, suggested fitments including the famous Metzeler upgrades, and other important technical data.

It unfortunate that forums/chat rooms can put out incorrect information and you should know that motorcycle tires are not a universal fit for any bike at any time.

One should never run a rear tire on the front of a bike and the exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. BUT this happens typically only with scooter tires and virtually never with a modern motorcycle tire. Tire's have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation, and load rating that is important to the safe handling of the bike and by running a tire without the suggestion of the tire company one could create a problem with the bike or tire. Thanks for the e-mail and have a great day.

NA Metzeler Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.us.metzelermoto.com

I am now sorry that I asked the question. How can I put something on my bike, that the company is saying no to. Who was it that was quoting Metzeler, saying it was ok to run these 160's?:dontknow:

Dave
Here ya go :bigthumbsup:

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/products/technology/faq/default.page

·
Registered
976 Posts
WOW! Just got my new Metz 260 and 160 mounted. What a difference. I was running E-3's front and rear. The new Metz's are ultra smooth and absolutely stick to the road but the biggest difference is how much better I can hold a line in curves. I swear it feels like I'm on rails. I could not be happier with the switch. Thanks to everyone on your advice about the tires. I would have never thought of the change without you. Safe riding. 8)
I'm getting metzeler 160/60 260/40 tires mounted this weekend!

·
Registered
179 Posts
It would have been nice if Suzuki thought more about the tire choices specially the front tire when they let this bike out to the general public....The stock size front tire is wrong, I have to slowly go over the lip in my driveway or the rim will hit...thats with 38 psi..
in the rain I have had this tire push hard enough at 70 to make me pucker...
Metzler's seem to be a big diff in the dry....am I to assume the wet weather performance must be night and day difference ? yes ? I'm in the process of getting tires myself as I get caught out in the rain quite often and the rubber compound and profile of the OEM's are IMHO dangerous....and not very much fun in the dry for all the above complaints from others as well..
Congrat BUJEE, SPEEDKING You made a great choice...post back as soon as you have your first ride...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I work with a retired Washingon State Motorcycle Patrolman and the majority of the WSP force perfer Metzler hands down for their quick acceleration and high speed gripping in dry and especially wet road conditions. He's tried all makes and always goes back to Metzler.

Not to steal the thread but how many 160 front tires guys have raised the front fender or are just hoping not to pick up a rock in the treads? I'm going to make the change next spring. thanks

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Not to steal the thread but how many 160 front tires guys have raised the front fender or are just hoping not to pick up a rock in the treads? I'm going to make the change next spring. thanks
I loosened my fender mount bolts and maximized the clearance at the rear of the fender.

-Josh

·
Registered
111 Posts
The opening page on the link......" FAQ "

Rear tyres can be mounted at front wheels?
Agree but it looks like the default page has changed. I am in the market for tires also and if you select our bike on the Metz's site it suggest using the 130/60/18 VR tire which is what I run now. Like the tire, much better than stock, smooth, better traction in curves and lowers the front of the bike over 1/2" over stock height for those who like lowered bikes but I am thinking of going back to stock height.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts