M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are killing me over here!!!  I joined this group because the 109 is the bike I’ve been looking for, and depending on the answers to the following questions the current bliss at home may have to be disturbed to acquire one.

In December of last year I sold my 03 VTX1800C and have regretted it ever since.  The rational for parting with the X was that I was being, how could you put it, an idiot behind the bars.  Somehow backing into corners, second and third gear burn-outs and dragging both sides until the chrome had been scrubbed clean became the norm.  I convinced myself that the street was too dangerous and that I needed to stick to the dirt.  Well, a month after selling the X, I joined AMA and District, and went desert racing, now that’s a good way to get hurt.  I have added more scars to my body in the last year than I have since I was 12.  I’ve got the street bike bug again, and bad.

So how does the 109 compare to the XTX1800s?  My X was lightly modified with exhaust, intake, de-smogged and a MTX racing clutch.  Have the 109’s been able to keep pace with the X’s?  Are the 109’s faster?  I would guess that by the engine specs that the 109 has longer legs, is this true?  How about lean angle?  How does the bike handle in the mountains.  What are the bikes most common quirks/problems?

Thanks for any input you cam provide.  I’ve still got the leather and helmet, all I need is wheels.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
There are a lot of VTX lovers on this board, and some still own them.
That being said, I think the consensus is the 109 is the preferred choice. It's faster, much faster depending on your mods, handles great, and every member on this board is addicted.
You won't be sorry with the 109 every. Most can guarantee that.
However, if you are prone to dangerous riding, this bike will only make that worse. It likes speed, wants to go fast, and is right at home going 90mph.
:p

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Although I have yet to purchase my 109 limited edition...I have had the opportunity to listen intently to those that have the bike. I have seen the videos and seen the hard data and the seat of the pants dyno's. There will be no regrets with power on this bike and your vtx of old will seem underpowered for sure. This is a "cruiser" with a sport bike attitude.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I had a 2002 VTX 1800C from May 2001 until May 2005. Now I have the M109R and I love it! I really loved my VTX too, but I think this bike is turning out to be a far superior bike. It is MUCH faster, handles as good or better, even with the 240 rear tire. I thought it would be a pig in corners with that fat rear tire but not only is it not a pig, I'm currently awaiting UPS to deliver my new 10" rear wheel and 280 tire for this beast! :hot: :hot: :hot:
Rumor has it it will handle nearly as well with that big boy on there too. I cant wait. I'm also waiting on my lowering bones to arrive to drop the rear 2.5". I've already got mine painted Candy Black Cherry and the tank seam removed. I'll be tidying up the only ugly part of the bike, the rear license plate thingy/duck tail monstrosity. I just can't wait for the aftermarket to catch up so I can get some pipes and a few other things for it as well. Here's a shot showing my new mirrors and grips and paint job. Yeah, I think this bike is much more fun than my VTX was, and that's saying something! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Lamont has owned both and seems to prefer the 109 as well. I can't really compare the two but after owning a few bikes over the last 35 years I like this one, a lot. I just got a cruiser bike for the first time back in 04' and since I did not know if I was going to like them I started with an 03' Honda Sabre 1100. Even though the Sabre was 200 pounds or so lighter it handled like a pig compared to the 109. It was very hard to balance at redlights and on the 109 I can come to a stop for a few seconds without even putting my feet down. I still have a 99' ZRX 1100 Kawasaki too and it even feels top heavy compared to the 109 with 200 lbs less weight. The ZRX will cut corners better than the 109 but it does have a tad more ground clearance and the aforementioned advantage in weight but it is tiring to ride very far gets worse fuel mileage and does not have the character (attitude) the 109 does. The layout of the 109 is very comfy as is for me (6', 220 lbs) but the seat was changed out for a corbin after the first 600 mile trip I took.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For those of of you that are removing the tank seam. Beware!! that seam has a very important role in keeping the two halves of the tank together. Without it the tank might fall in half at the slightest opportunity. :evil:

skin.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I have a VTX and a 109, the VTX is for sale right now. :doorag: I love my 109 and it out performs my X in just about every way. It's way faster, it handles better. I think my VTX has it beat in looks but I'm working on that. :doorag:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
skindiver said:
For those of of you that are removing the tank seam. Beware!! that seam has a very important role in keeping the two halves of the tank together. Without it the tank might fall in half at the slightest opportunity. :evil:

skin.
That's why my body shop decided to fill the seam in with body filler rather than attempt to roll it under. ;) :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
skindiver said:

skin.
Rest easy... Most people have the seam filled with body filler. Others have them rolled over, so they remain intact. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Graves said:
dragging both sides until the chrome had been scrubbed clean became the norm.
You mean like this? :bigthumbsup:

The cornering clearance is pretty good compared to other cruisers. I think the V-Rod streetrod and Road Star Warrior are a couple of bikes that have better clearance. The 9 corners very well for having such a fat tire too. The weight is extremely low also. I haven't ridden a VTX, so I cannot give you an actual comparison, but I can say the X feels much heavier than the 9. My 9 comes off the stand without any effort, just by me sitting on it. The VTXs I've sat on (both 1300 and 1800) required a good bit of umph to get the bike to stand up off the stand. I can easily stand beside my bike and lean it over until the frame touches the ground without dropping it. I wouldn't try this with a VTX solely based on how heavy they feel coming off the stand. As for riding in the mountains.. I've yet to actually ride in the mountains, but we have some pretty twisty roads where I live, and I ride them regularly. I posted videos of me riding in the pics/videos thread here http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=6856.0. The camera is mounted level, so it gives you an idea of how far it will lean before pegs or pipes touch down. It also gives you an idea of why my pegs and pipes look like they do above. :bigthumbsup: As for power, I've yet to hear of a stock VTX beating a stock 109. If you get the 9, I feel pretty sure you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had a 2002 1800 VTX/C with 16K on the clock. It had Vance & Hines etc and was a powerful machine in its own right. Traded it for my 109, 8 months ago! I have just under 10k on the 9 and have absolutely no regrets. Power/performance, handling and looks really blow the X out of the water/picture. If you loved your X, you will be in complete ecstasy with the 109 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm with ya man! I retired from motocross and hit the streets again. I don't have as much time on the 109 as the rest of the guys on here as I am a newbie but I absolutely love this bike and don't think you will be dissapointed. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I rode a 2005 vtx 1800c to compare it the the 9... keeping it simple not a comparison, if you like power... The x is a smooth ride and has power but it is not as raw as the 9. The 9 handles closer to a sport bike than the x, it doesn't take as much input to commit the beast(9) to lean in the curve. I personally don't think you will ever think about going back to the x if you get the 9... :welcome:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Graves said:
. The rational for parting with the X was that I was being, how could you put it, an idiot behind the bars. Somehow backing into corners, second and third gear burn-outs and dragging both sides until the chrome had been scrubbed clean became the norm. I convinced myself that the street was too dangerous and that I needed to stick to the dirt. Well, a month after selling the X, I joined AMA and District, and went desert racing, now that’s a good way to get hurt. I have added more scars to my body in the last year than I have since I was 12. I’ve got the street bike bug again, and bad.

Thanks for any input you cam provide. I’ve still got the leather and helmet, all I need is wheels.
If you ride like "an idiot behind the bars" (your own words) you may not want to get back on the street with such a powerful bike as the 109.

You may want to wait till you mellow out a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.