M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maryland's new hands-free cell phone law went into effect Friday (10/1/10), banning the use of cell phones while driving without a hands-free device. First-time violators face a $40 fine. Second offenses would cost drivers $100.
Maryland joins the District of Columbia in outlawing hand-held cell phone use by persons behind the wheel. But in Maryland, police can only stop motorists who have also violated another traffic safety law.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, What happens if I am talking hands free and leaning on my hand? Or what if I can't hear with the ear piece and have to hold it tighter to my ear? Will I be ticketed? :dontknow:
Freakin Moonbats are passing laws just to pass them.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So, What happens if I am talking hands free and leaning on my hand? Or what if I can't hear with the ear piece and have to hold it tighter to my ear? Will I be ticketed? :dontknow:
Freakin Moonbats are passing laws just to pass them.
I think it's a great law. Can't tell you hom many cagers I see not paying attention while driving and talking.

Ryan, my wife was out looking for hands free head sets today, yeah, no one had any cheaper models left. Yeah, go figure. (waiting til the last min) We ordered one on line.

Side note, I think I posted about this a while back. Can't wait to see how many ppl will still be doing it.

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Honestly I hate 99.9% of new laws. Its all about making a buck (tax/revenue) for the state and fed.

However, there is a LARGE percentage of idiots on the road who cannot do two thing at once (yeah I'm blasting women here) and we do need a protection from their single minded inabilities...

I do sometimes talk on my cell while driving but never in a congested area. I actually have a love/hate relationship with my cellphone-I love it when I need to make a call while away from home, but hate it when people call me when Im away from home. I like my freedom behind the wheel whether it be on my bike car or truck. I also do NOT know how to text-and dont give a rats a$$ on how to do it:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it's a great law. Can't tell you hom many cagers I see not paying attention while driving and talking.

Ryan, my wife was out looking for hands free head sets today, yeah, no one had any cheaper models left. Yeah, go figure. (waiting til the last min) We ordered one on line.

Side note, I think I posted about this a while back. Can't wait to see how many ppl will still be doing it.
You completely missed my point. Having your hand up to your ear does not create the distraction. Having a conversation on the phone is the distraction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honestly I hate 99.9% of new laws. Its all about making a buck (tax/revenue) for the state and fed.

However, there is a LARGE percentage of idiots on the road who cannot do two thing at once (yeah I'm blasting women here) and we do need a protection from their single minded inabilities...

I do sometimes talk on my cell while driving but never in a congested area. I actually have a love/hate relationship with my cellphone-I love it when I need to make a call while away from home, but hate it when people call me when Im away from home. I like my freedom behind the wheel whether it be on my bike car or truck. I also do NOT know how to text-and dont give a rats a$$ on how to do it:D
I talk on the phone a lot while driving. It's the nature of what I do. I have even been on the phone while screaming at someone else to get off the phone and drive.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
About a year or so back they passed the same law in California. Same response, immediately blue tooth head sets sold out and the cops were jumping all over people for driving and talking on their cell.

Fast forward to present day and it is right back where it was before the law. Very few people are obeying the law and the cops could care less. They basically use it as a reason to pull you over and look for a better bust.

While I agree with most's jubilation in the new law, don't hold your breath that it will be enforced. The law is only as good as the cops who will enforce it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
About a year or so back they passed the same law in California. Same response, immediately blue tooth head sets sold out and the cops were jumping all over people for driving and talking on their cell.

Fast forward to present day and it is right back where it was before the law. Very few people are obeying the law and the cops could care less. They basically use it as a reason to pull you over and look for a better bust.

While I agree with most's jubilation in the new law, don't hold your breath that it will be enforced. The law is only as good as the cops who enforce it.
I find that most cops are too busy talking on their cell phone to notice I am too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
People who want more laws in this country, are either lawers or dickweeds, or both ;) There is already a law somewhere on the books that would cover any issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts