M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I guess I'll itroduce myself here. I just purchased mine today, she's black and has 11 miles currently. I was on the way out for the forth ride and fired her up but there was a weird noise, simular to but much louder than the fuel pump. So i shut her off and she kept turning over, the starter won't turn off. THe dealer ship was closed so i rode home and disconected the battery. Even with the key removed and the engine switch set to the kill position it still kept turning over untill the battery was disconected. There is still a drain on the battery so i can't reconnect the due to major sparkage and the dealership is closed tomm.
I mostly just want to know if this is a know problem or if im just an unlucky fluke. If it is a reoccuring problem whats the fix?

On a positive note im in f*ing love with the bike, our other bike is a Honda shadow VLX so this beast was a big step up but it was everything i could ever hope for.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was so excited I forgot to do a search but it looks like this has happened before... http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1043.0

If either of you guys could give me advice on how to get the battery connected i would appraciate it, whenmade contact with the negative it was still very muck live and would for sure melt the batteries threads. Again the bike only has 11 miles on it and i really want to ride.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like starter relay or possibly the starter itself may be stuck. From past experience tap on both of these, preferrably when there is power going to them and see if that helps???

·
Registered
103 Posts
That thing just happened to me last night. I was comming in from a ride and was parking it in my Garage and the starter engaged while the engine was running. I tried to turn everything off but it didn't help I pulled the key, switched the Ignition switch etc. finally it just disconnected on it,s own.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've had a few instances when the bike was warm that the starter did not catch. Hit the button, a little whirr, but no start. Stared on the second try each time. Could be a burgeoning starter issue here...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the same thing (a hard connection somewhere) but didn't check the relay.  Where is it located and I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
   Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. I tried knocking on the two relays i can see in front of the battery but no luck even after the bike sat overnight. In more news, when looking at the bike i must have hit it into first and when I tried to reconnect the battery it lurched froward off the kickstand and started to fall. I cought it before it hit the ground and was able to pick it back up, which was a suprise considering my scrawny 120lb ass is dwarfed by the bike. Anyway, if anyone can give me a pic or better description of twhere the starter relay is i would really apprecate it otherwise I'll just want till tomm and let the dearership take care of it.

Damn that bike is heavy,

Jeff

·
Registered
343 Posts
waterman said:
I was so excited I forgot to do a search but it looks like this has happened before...  http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1043.0

If either of you guys could give me advice on how to get the battery connected i would appraciate it, whenmade contact with the negative it was still very muck live and would for sure melt the batteries threads. Again the bike only has 11 miles on it and i really want to ride.
Sounds like RECALL man will be warming up the printing press soon!
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In case anyone has a simular problem, the situation was fixed by tapping on the starter. We're taking the bike in today and i think they are going to throw a new starter in it.
So i did get to ride a bit over the memorial day weekend, thank god, and i must say this is the sweetest bike i have ever ridden. Its still being broken in but i think i'm going to take it to the mountains in a couple of weeks, the mountain passes promise to be lots of fun.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If its like most starters, I'd try on the solenoid that pushes the drive gear out to mesh with the flywheel. I'm relatively sure that anywhere on the actual starter should work.. Ok.. and try the handle of a screwdriver before you pull out the ball peen hammer. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with about 100 miles on the bike. I thought it was the clutch making noise at first but when I turned off the bike the starter kept going for about a minute. It has never done it again. I just thought it was a freak occurence

1 - 14 of 14 Posts