M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently bought a used 2011 black and orange m109r with 4500 miles on it. I love the bike so far. I need to make a few tweaks to make it mine but I'm totally hooked.

The bike is 98% stock from what I can tell. Any help with what I should start maintaining and keeping an eye out for would be great.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
First and foremost, CONGTRATULATIONS on becoming an M109R owner, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! You have just made what might be two of the best decisions in your life, outside of a wife and children, if you have been blessed to have both.:)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y):)

:)✋As for things you should always seek to maintain, or keep an eye out for...I recommend that you first get a FULL SERVICE completed on the bike, and have everything checked from front to back, to insure your safety when you take it out, as a new owner of the bike. The fact that it is a 10 year old bike, with only 4,500 miles on it, means that the bike has sat more than it has been ridden. Often times, a bike that has sat for far too long can be as much, if not more of a safety hazard for the new owner/rider, as a bike that has ridden hard, hung out to dry, and neglected with regard to routine and timely servicing and repairs. Once you're for sure that the bike is 100% safe to ride, there's not really anything else for you to be concerned with, as you were fortunate enough to have purchased a 2011 model, which has the upgraded clutch, and an improvement in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The 2011 and newer models don't typically have any systematic or functional issues. Every now and then a member here will raise up an issue he/she may be having, but there's really been nothing that has been a widespread problem with the newer 2011 to 2021 model M109Rs. Now, there's a ton of aftermarket upgrades and mods you can do to your 9 to greatly enhance it, from a performance and aesthetics perspective. However, that is another topic for another time.:):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it from a dealer. They did an oil change, air filter and new tires before i took it away. Is that sufficient?

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :) 🙋‍♂️

If they've already changed the tires and oil, they also probably checked the coolant level and looked for any leaks. You're probably good to ride it without worrying too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aftermarket questions?

Foot pegs? What's the better options? What to avoid? I know it's preference. Curious what you guys have tired and what did and didn't work for you.

Plan on getting this fender eliminator. What bracket would you use for the plate?

Throttle lock or cramp buster?

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I bought it from a dealer. They did an oil change, air filter and new tires before i took it away. Is that sufficient?
Yes, that should be sufficient for sure. Just be sure to get copies of the documentation that clearly states every detail of the service they say they did on the bike. You can never be too careful and persistent about matters such as this.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
I would flush the brake system. Brake fluid is Hygroscopic (absorbs water) which corrodes brake components and lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid. You could easily end up with severe brake fade on 10-year-old brake fluid. It should be replaced every 3 years.
This is from the owner's manual:

Reactions: Zinger

·
Registered
485 Posts
wow!! I did not realize they think the plugs need changing every 7500 miles! Mine has double that on original plugs with no issues..

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
wow!! I did not realize they think the plugs need changing every 7500 miles! Mine has double that on original plugs with no issues..
I changed mine the first time at around 7500 and they still looked new. The bike now has almost 39,000 miles on it and it is still on that second set of plugs I put in then. I don't know why they think they only last the 7500 miles. Old HD's used to be terribly hard on plugs and you had to change them around 6000 miles or they would start misfiring, but this bike sure doesn't need them changed that often.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I changed mine the first time at around 7500 and they still looked new. The bike now has almost 39,000 miles on it and it is still on that second set of plugs I put in then. I don't know why they think they only last the 7500 miles. Old HD's used to be terribly hard on plugs and you had to change them around 6000 miles or they would start misfiring, but this bike sure doesn't need them changed that often.
what type of plugs come factory in them? iridium, platinum or plain copper?

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
They aren't iridium, I'm sure of that as several on here have switched to the iridium version of it. And it's a regular thick center electrode plug so it's probably not platinum either. It is a dual element plug, it has two of the outer grouind electrodes on it.

Edit: I checked NGK's website and all they call it is a multi-ground plug. The standard plug is a NGK CR9EK.

·
Registered
485 Posts
They aren't iridium, I'm sure of that as several on here have switched to the iridium version of it. And it's a regular thick center electrode plug so it's probably not platinum either. It is a dual element plug, it has two of the outer grouind electrodes on it.

Edit: I checked NGK's website and all they call it is a multi-ground plug. The standard plug is a NGK CR9EK.
do you have to pull the gas tank off to get to the plugs? The bike has 4 plugs doesnt it?

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
Yup, have to pull the tank off. And there are 4 plugs, 2 on the outside under the chrome covers and one in the middle of each cylinder head. There's quite a few threads on changing them, maybe even a How-To on it. It's not a hard job but you need a swivel socket to get to the front center plug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts