M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going everyone, Just picked up my first M109R last week. It is a 2008. Loving it so far but after reading the forums in afraid i may be spending more in repairs.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the Family!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. To be honest im not to technically sound on motorcycles yet. My M109 has that stupid oil drip on the left side that already has ruined 2 good work pants. It has a custom exhaust on it. It's 2 7" pipes going into one huge single pipe. Would like to get a heat shield. I mostly drive it to Tampa from Pinellas al lweek then go on trips for what would you guys recommend. And is 2nd gear a really that bad?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Oil puke is just from over filling it on the oil change. There is a drain on the bottom of the stock air intakes. You will ultimately need to remove the air intakes and clean the oil out of them. Might need to replace the air filters as well if they have soaked up oil. I would just do an oil change on it, making sure to only put the proper amount back in.

As far as heat shields go, post up a pic of what you have. We can probably help you identify which exhaust you have so you know what to look for. Or you could just pick out a new exhaust. Make your 9 "yours"!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oil puke is just from over filling it on the oil change. There is a drain on the bottom of the stock air intakes. You will ultimately need to remove the air intakes and clean the oil out of them. Might need to replace the air filters as well if they have soaked up oil. I would just do an oil change on it, making sure to only put the proper amount back in.

As far as heat shields go, post up a pic of what you have. We can probably help you identify which exhaust you have so you know what to look for. Or you could just pick out a new exhaust. Make your 9 "yours"!
Welcome! I see your already getting fixed up. Oil puke.....easy fix. Let's see the pipe and we'll let ya know what ya have! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the exhaust i already burnt my damn leg on....lol Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
9,001 Posts
Sideburner

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any local talent want to install a catch can for me...lol...not comfortable with working on a bike. If it was a car I would be fine

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
9,001 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to the club! Its always great seeing Florida people logging in or joining.

I understand the hesitation of wanting to work on the 109 but get you a copy of the shop manual and dive in...... I like working on my own stuff, unless it involves internal engine/transmission junk or has a kick arse warranty...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.