M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I feel stupid having to ask these questions but I have two different noises from the engine which I have no experience with.

I have a new 2021 M109R and it has traveled only 500kms. It is 100% standard.

First, I have had many bikes prior to this and this M109R is the first bike that I hear a definite “high pitched clicking” noise many and it corresponds with the engine speed. The clicking noise is very pronounced but not anything more than annoying. Here is the odd thing, the ticking noise seems to be whilst riding and it seems to be within my helmet. I know how dumb that sounds But, I have never experienced this prior with any of my other bikes. I just not not know why I am hearing it now.

The second is and I do not know if it is something I had not noticed before but when I have the motor running and stationary I can hear a distinct lower pitch knock from the engine. Again I say that this a new bike with only kms but I am sure that the knocking I now hear was not there earlier. Since I purchased this bike I have only ridden 25 to 50 kms so really bugger all (the reasons are due to the Covid issues). But I am asking if anyone has any idea or meaningful comments to contribute to my understanding of what I have described.

Many thanks to all that respond.

Rowan.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Is the "high pitched clicking" noise something you hear at all speeds, or just in the lower gears? And is it under power, steady cruise, or decelerating? The transmission has a whine, but it's only in the lower gears and mostly at steady cruise or decelerating. It's the straight cut gears in the transmission.

The other noise, see if it goes away or gets quieter when you pull in the clutch. The springs in the clutch pressure platet rattle in time with the engine pulses when the clutch is out, when you pull the clutch in the pressure plate is disengaged and the rattle mostly goes away. It does sound like a light knocking coming from the lower throttle side of the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the "high pitched clicking" noise something you hear at all speeds, or just in the lower gears? And is it under power, steady cruise, or decelerating? The transmission has a whine, but it's only in the lower gears and mostly at steady cruise or decelerating. It's the straight cut gears in the transmission.

The other noise, see if it goes away or gets quieter when you pull in the clutch. The springs in the clutch pressure platet rattle in time with the engine pulses when the clutch is out, when you pull the clutch in the pressure plate is disengaged and the rattle mostly goes away. It does sound like a light knocking coming from the lower throttle side of the bike.
Hi Zoom, sorry for my delay in replying.
Firstly, thank you for your reply and comments it has been helpful.
I will address the second part first, being the lower pitch knock. I have tried your suggestion and have found that the knocking noise is whilst the clutch is out and the bike in neutral. When I pull the clutch in the noise all but disappears. I have not been able to check this whilst riding because of bad weather here.

In regards to the higher pitched noise that I referred to I may have found the cause but I cannot check until the weather improves. You won’t believe how stupid I feel or how stupid the cause might be, but I found that the number plate on the rear of the bike was fitted with nylon lock nuts, but they were loose allowing the plate to rattle in tune with the engine pulses hence my description of a ticking noise. Anyway, as soon as the weather improves I will see if the noise is gone now that I have tightened the nuts.

I will provide an update.
Again, many thanks.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
That's typical for the clutch basket to do that, glad you were able to see it was doing that on yours. They only do it in neutral with the clutch out, once you put some load on the clutch the springs start compressing and stop rattling, so you won't hear it riding.

Glad you may have found the other noise too. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts