M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and great site you have here.

As I mentioned I'm new here. And if you don't mind I have a question maybe two.

I haven't been on a bike in about 12 years and that was limited to off road. I'm wanting to get back into it street wise and was wondering if the M109 is too much for me? How forgiving is it? User friendly etc. Could I perhaps have a governor placed on it?

I'm 35. 6' 1", 215 lbs. I have absolutely no desire to get stupid on this thing, race or go screaming down the street I just wanna cruise and I'm going to retake the safety course.

The real reason I want the M109 is strictly the look and my wife loves it as well, not for the power or as I said to get stupid.

Opinions?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you and the wife like the look, take the course and get the bike. Not many on this board will have something bad tosay about the everyday livability of the bike. As you can discover, some use it more for cruising, some more for performance. At the price, the risk to you not liking it is low.

BUT

you'll probably like the ride as much as the looks.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
All it took for me was sitting on it.. the bike has a very low center of gravity and is very comfy. Don't know about riding it 2-up, but there are a lot of posts on the subject on this forum so do a search. In the end, its up to you and what you really want, and if the wife likes it too then that removes a LOT of obstacles right there! :p 8)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hadn't ridden in over 25 years - saw the 109 - bought it and I have no regrets. Take a course w the wife and I'm sure you'll feel the same way. Just remember what Dirty Harry said " A man's got to know his limitations" and respect the power of the BEAST!
Best of Luck!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was 10 years in between bikes... and i used to only ride sport bikes...
Took to this beast naturally.. she is forgiving, well mannered, and mean...

That being said...
Off road exprience is nice... but it is not street exprience..
The riders saftey course is an EXCELENT start... This will reteach you basics..
Then get on your bike and get use to her, parking lots for hard braking, get used to her handling ability...... then I would suggest finding a couple exprienced riders to cruise around with you can learn alot just riding around :)
After that you will be good.. some people suggest an advanced rider saftey training after this... but i think you will pick it up from the exprienced riders..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm fortunate enough to have quite a few experienced people around me to ride with and "mentor" me. I can't get into the Safety Course until the early part of August due to work and my area's schedule. (NW Ohio).

Concerning the wife and the bike...she saw it and fell in love as did I when I sat on it. Amazingly (her being a penny pincher) didn't care about the significant cost of the monster.  :bigthumbsup: woo hoo!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MonsterZero said:
Hello all and great site you have here.

As I mentioned I'm new here. And if you don't mind I have a question maybe two.

I haven't been on a bike in about 12 years and that was limited to off road. I'm wanting to get back into it street wise and was wondering if the M109 is too much for me? How forgiving is it? User friendly etc. Could I perhaps have a governor placed on it?

I'm 35. 6' 1", 215 lbs. I have absolutely no desire to get stupid on this thing, race or go screaming down the street I just wanna cruise and I'm going to retake the safety course.

The real reason I want the M109 is strictly the look and my wife loves it as well, not for the power or as I said to get stupid.

Opinions?

Thanks for your time.
You will love the power of this bike. It is intoxicating and a lot of fun! Actually, the whole bike is intoxicating. You will have a love affair with a 109. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
This is my first street bike. I have had my license and ridden others though. The hardest part would be parade type cruising. It just has too much power/response for that. Getting started, and parking lot moves are easy but just trying to stay at 1 speed in 1st gear for a long time is not. Shift to 2nd gear and all is right with the world!
Oh, and the first gear stuff gets easier after a few hundred miles. Get a backrest for your wife so when you twist the throttle she stays on the back :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Sledzep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts