M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Here is the story which i will try and make it short and to the point. I am 28 years old and i now have 2 small children 3 years and a 3month old. i have been riding for 10 years with ALL sport bikes.
1st. Suzuki Katana 600
2nd. Yzf 600
3rd. 1998 TL1000R
4th. 01 GSXR 1000
5th. and what i have now 04 Yamaha R1
I am getting the itch to make the switch from sport bikes to power cruisers. The wife and i went to my local Suzuki dealer yesterday and looked at a 109 and we fell in love with it. But what i am looking for is some input from other 109 riders that have made the switch from sport bikes to cruisers. BECAUSE I AM TERRIFIED TO MAKE THE SWITCH..I do not do wheelies anymore and i do not even hit the twisties like i use to. So help me out M109riders  make the transition. Any info would be greatly appreciated on anything that i may be overlooking because my friends all with sport bikes say i am NUTZ!!!.
Thank you
Eric.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i just switched from a bandit 1200 and haven't looked back. you'll love it. buy a used sport bike down the road. it also depends what kind of riding you do. if you do track days of course you'd keep the sportbike. besides this bike feels and handles like a large sport bike to me.

john

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think this bike is for the guy who still wants power, but doesn't want to cave in to whole generic cruiser thing. I'm 40 and used to roadrace GSXR's for a few years at Loudon and Daytona. This bike was made for someone like me - an ex racer who ate, breathed, and s$&t sportbikes. I realized when I stopped racing that the street is no place to go ridiculously fast but I still wanted to feel the power. When I bought this bike I sat on a new GSXR1000 first, which was cheaper. I still bought this bike. It was made for someone like me. Yeah, I still want to wheelie and drag knee sometimes, but honestly, this bike is the closest thing to having it all. You can ride two up and enjoy a day with her, or put the rear seat cowel on and go solo, kick back and cruise, or go like a bat outta' Hell if you want to. The bike is no Busa, but if you are the way you say you are, this bike should be perfect for you (and the wife). Oh, about your friends, I guarantee they give you crazy respect when you roll up on a M109R, trust me. It's got almost 130 HP stock with looks that rival most sportbikes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I switched from my 2005 ZX-12R, If you want to finally cruise without having to go over 100 to have fun, then this is the bike. I miss the power my Ninja had, but it was different. The M109 has tons of power, but its more tame compared to sportbikes. I think I'll probably try to find a clean used sportbike next year so I can take corners....

I rode the other day for 4 hours straight. Gassed up once and kept going. Try that on any sportbike.....

-Chad

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode the other day for 4 hours straight. Gassed up once and kept going. Try that on any sportbike.....

-Chad
Exactly not going to happen..keep the reply comming i enjoy reading them. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm no sport rider or corner cutter but I do like HOT ROD CRUSERS. The M109R is at the top of the heap in my opinion :bigthumbsup: :hot:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Crazy,

Well I love sport bikes if I could I would have a sport bike and a cruiser of choice BUT... I can't afford two bikes with all my other toys... I have traded bikes constantly for the last 13-14 years... In 1999 I bought 3 different brand new bikes... I was where you are in Oct 2003... I was riding a 03 ZZR1200 that I had to 150-160mph a few times... I am not a trixter on sport bikes,  I don't ball the tire off but I do like to occasionally when no ones looking feel the need for speed... I pick the right place and the right times to do it.... Now with that said I was riding an 03 ZZR and I got the itch to switch... I traded for an 04 Roadstar Midnight Silverado and spent 5k ish stripping it down and modifying it... It was a very nice ride a few months after purchase... Had some Jetting issues and on a whim to sport bike fever and traded it back in for a 04 ZRX1200R of which I had previously owned a 99 model also... Anyway I have had the ZRX now for some 15 months of which I put 1200 miles on it just has'nt been the same since I got rid of my 04 roadstar.... Yesterday I traded it back in on my new 109 with pipes already installed. I was riding 2up last night with my wife on the highway doing 80-85mph with tons of throttle left  and a lot of punch at the speed.... I don't have any doubts this bike will cover my need for speed while allowing me to ride a cruiser type bike with that BIG beautiful FAT ass back tire....

To me it is the best of both worlds...sport bike ish hp.... cruiser type torque.... and a style that I really like.... plus the ability to ride with a little more comfort ... I would be glad to answer any specific questions you can come up with...

Khrome  :doorag:

ps... these front brakes feel like i could do a stoppie if i wanted to  :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: New here and debating if i want to make the switch from sport bikes to cruis

If you are making the switch from sport bike to cruiser, and are looking for some sort of 'power cruiser', then you can't go wrong with the 109. The 109 is a big bike with big power that can handle surprisingly well.

Just to be fair, you should take a look at other makes' iterations of the 'power cruiser'... like the Victory Hammer. It's got 100 ci powerplant (makes good power, just not m109 power), 6 speeds instead of 5, and it's belt driven instead of shaft... handles good. Honda VTX 1800F, same displacement, doesn't make the same power, but it's up there... goes straight fast, but not much in the way of clearance, so handling suffers. The Kawasaki Mean Streak, which is way down in power, but it handles good and brakes great. The Star Warrior, with its 102 ci motor, makes good use of it's pushrod design to make good power (again not m109 power, but good in it's own right). The Warrior, about 100lbs. lighter with it's aluminum frame and R1 derived suspension & braking, will handle the canyon carving best with someone of your skill. :duck: A change of the seat, however, would be in order to make it more tolerable for a passenger.

In the end you'll be happy with any of these bikes, it's just a matter of choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
crazytank7 said:
Hello, Here is the story which i will try and make it short and to the point. I am 28 years old and i now have 2 small children 3 years and a 3month old. i have been riding for 10 years with ALL sport bikes.
1st. Suzuki Katana 600
2nd. Yzf 600
3rd. 1998 TL1000R
4th. 01 GSXR 1000
5th. and what i have now 04 Yamaha R1
I am getting the itch to make the switch from sport bikes to power cruisers. The wife and i went to my local Suzuki dealer yesterday and looked at a 109 and we fell in love with it. But what i am looking for is some input from other 109 riders that have made the switch from sport bikes to cruisers. BECAUSE I AM TERRIFIED TO MAKE THE SWITCH..I do not do wheelies anymore and i do not even hit the twisties like i use to. So help me out M109riders make the transition. Any info would be greatly appreciated on anything that i may be overlooking because my friends all with sport bikes say i am NUTZ!!!.
Thank you
Eric.
I've been riding sportbikes for the past 21 years, and currently own a 2006 Honda CBR 1000RR. Â I just purchased the Suzuki M109R last weekend.

I'll offer my thoughts. Â First and foremost, you seriously need to consider just what you would be buying the bike for. Â If, as you say, you don't really hit the twisties anymore........then what would be the advantage of having a performance bike? Â I still love to hit the corners, and will keep the 1000RR for days when I feel like doing so. Â However, the riding position is so vastly different from the sportbike to the M109R it's like night and day. Â I'm good for 3 to 4 hours on the sportbike, and the 109 I'm good for all day. Â The 109, while it's no sportbike, still has enough power to give any sportbike rider a smile. Â I can tell you that unless I am going on a mission to rip some corners, the bulk of my riding will be done on the 109.

Now, another consideration - INSURANCE. Â Full coverage on the 109 = $254.00 per year. Â I own the 1000RR outright, so I just pay liability which is under $200.00 for the year. Â Full coverage for the 1000RR was around $1200.00 for the year.

Just my thoughts, but if you want a bike with power enough to make you grin, a comfortable riding style, and fantastic looks......go with the 109. Â IMO - I don't think you'd be sorry.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I switched from sport bikes to the M109 because I needed to "slow down" a little. The last few sport bikes I had felt so stable at 100+mph you never noticed how fast you were really going. The biggest thing you'll notice is that at triple digits you'll fight the wind more than on a sport bike so that in itself will cut down on the high speed cruising. The corner clearance will bite when you're used to leaning deep into corners, but you'll get used to it. It's a completely different feel than riding on a sport bike. This is the only cruiser I've found that looks like it was made for those of us, who are moving from the sport bikes to cruisers. Like I said the ride is different...not worse. IMO the M109 was built the way a jap cruiser should be...technology 1st, then throw in a ton of attitude. Suzuki decided to march to a different drummer, and I am glad of it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: New here and debating if i want to make the switch from sport bikes to cruis

I bought the 109R and kept my YZF600. The 109R is a blast and I needed something I could ride 2 up without my wife crawing up my back (litterly). I hung onto the YZF for the days that we both feel like riding and hitting the twisties.

My suggestion: Buy the 109R and go find a used 600cc bike (maybe even the YZF).

You won't regret it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it's funny how many of us there are that have bought the M109 as their first cruiser after years of sportbikes. :bigthumbsup:

-Chad

·
Registered
154 Posts
I read somewhere that THE target market for the M109r is the maturing sportbike rider.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think it's funny how many of us there are that have bought the M109 as their first cruiser after years of sportbikes.

-Chad

+1

G

·
I came from the same scenario..wife kids..,,,180 plus every other day..then felt I grew more mature(yeah thats what it was ::)) and just figured I'd been lucky for so long going real fast that one day luck was gonna run out,,and I really like to see my kids grow up and keep my license.... :D started like you,,katana,yzk600r, r6, and finally a cbr954rr modded ...the last speed cycle....So,,I ventured to a 03 vtx1800....loved it...good power,,handled like a tank,,wide bars and just didnt have that drag look I wanted...so,,traded it for a 225 dragster(8.40's @160....didnt take long,,wanted another Bike,ended up with a 04 marauder ,,had the look(more drag lookin) but was way short on power,,,added everything I could and still was ,,,,O.K but not the total package.....Now ,,I can honestly say,,,,the M109 is everything I wanted,,drag look,,wide tire,,power beyond what a normal crusier should have...I love it.... :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
I sold an 05' ZX12R to buy my Black (fastest color) M109 and I have no regrets NONE. IMHO cannon carving is more fun on the 109 than on my
ZX12, I'm not ripping through the corners as fast but the FF (fun factor) is higher, a more relaxing ride less on edge, it's hard to explain just ride
it and you'll know instantly when your rolling into a turn. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
rangemaster84 said:
I sold an 05' ZX12R to buy my Black (fastest color) M109 and I have no regrets NONE. IMHO cannon carving is more fun on the 109 than on my
ZX12, I'm not ripping through the corners as fast but the FF (fun factor) is higher, a more relaxing ride less on edge, it's hard to explain just ride
it and you'll know instantly when your rolling into a turn.  :bigthumbsup:
ya but how nice was the 12 when you're on the highway with buddies and you down shift and hammer it....ah the good ol days ! My 2005 zx-12 was black( the fastest ninja) but I had to get the purple M109 for it extra horses over the black and silver ;)

-Chad

·
Registered
152 Posts
No doubt the ZX12 was fast but you had to be going 160 to feel like you were going fast everything under that just felt boring. I liked pushing the envelope but in between riding on the edge I was just plain bored.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

I went from a CBR1000F to a Boulevard C90T... What a mistake I made...

My wife started calling it a "Grandpa Bike"!
She said it was WEAK.
She said I was WEAK.

Enter the M109R! \
She's excited again!
It has muscle!
It has attitude!
Were having sex again!!!!

Life is good....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts