M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about the prospect of having a US helmet law requiring all motorcyclists to wear helmets. They were talking about this on the news the other day and I just wanted to know what you all thought about this. ???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Law

Won't make any difference to me. Full face all the time. When your face is bouncing off the pavement as you roll down the road you're real proud of that helmet.

GW

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Almost never ride without, won't effect me much. I still believe that people should be able to choose, but look at the seatbelt laws. Same thing.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
For what it's worth, I wear my helmet about half the time. I do think you should be able to choose for yourself tho. Just my $.02

·
Registered
41 Posts
:agree:I do always wear a small half helmet, but it's not DOT. I do wear a full face DOT for long distance rides though.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I always wear my full face helmet. I've had plenty of calls to motorcycle accidents and have seen to many riders with their brains scattered down the road from not wearing a helmet. With that being said, I don't think that there needs to be a law to tell someone that they must wear a helmet. It would be nice if the government would just stay the hell out of our lives.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree Swatcop. I deal with motorcycle accident victims all the time. But I think that there will be some push-back initially like there was with the seat belts. Sooner or later though folks will have to conform or stop riding. It will save lives and preserve the ability to bring a spoon to your mouth for others. :cop:

P.S. Swatcop

I'll see you in June. I'm going to PCS there with my lovely 9. Still breaking her in!

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
I try not to. Stay out of my business, nannies.
I'm with you! What bothers me is those who DONT CARE that the Federal Gov oversteps its Constitutional shackles and gives itself the power over the states illegaly, simply because they wear a helmet.

I dont wear a helmet and could care less who does or doesnt. If I did wear one it wouldnt be my right (even if I was a politician) to force it on anyone. Its not about your 'feelings' on subject, its about people being responsable for themselves and not the dictates of big bro big sis 'protecting' you.

People can tell me that I'm stupid for not wearing one. I tell them I was also stupid for joining the military and have myself put in situations where people with bullets and bombs are trying to kill me...

Freedom consists of being able to make a choice for yourself-right or wrong-smart or stupid-just as long as it doesnt infringe on anyone elses freedom and rights and choices thereof.

So you guys who dont care because it doesnt effect you, let me remind you that when you allow those in charge to destroy the rights of those you disagree with-you will be next in another area eventualy...

We all stand together or not...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
PA does not have a helmet law. NJ does. I usually wear my half (non-dot) helmet. I keep telling myself that I will start to wear my DOT helmet (I have four). Fortunately, I have not responded to any motorcycle accidents.:cop:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Helmets

I have mixed feelings on this subject. Sure, it's a good idea to wear one, but to single out motorcycles is unfair. Why not make it a law to wear one in a car? Snow skiing? Water skiing? Any activity when you are going over 5 mph? A friend died in his boat hitting a sea wall at 20 mph from a head injury.
Obviously it's easier to pick on motorcyclists since every mother agrees we should wear one, but never would themselves in their car or boat.
We're fair game I guess.
What's strange is we already have a law here, but most riders (HD)wear non DOT helmets that are useless to skirt the law, and cops don't have the time or interest to cite them. So I guess it really doesn't matter in the end except to hide all the bald heads and gray hair.:doorag:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is this really a problem? I think our countries current state has bigger problems for law makers to worry about then whether who's wearing a helmet or not.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wear a helmet 90% percent of the time, but I ride with guys that rarely wear one, it's a choice. The biggest argument lawmakers have is that riders riding without helmets cause more cost to all of us in the event of an accident. My solution is make folks who don't want to wear a helmet pay more for insurance.

People tend to give up rights easily when it's in their favor but what happens when a bullsheezt government report concludes that black motorcycles are involved in more accidents than other colors... bamm black bikes outlawed then the next report concludes that motorcycles in general are dangerous and then they are outlawed.

Freedom is a special thing and once you give it up you rarely get it back....

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.