M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker of mine has a fairly new H-D Sportster Custom. Nice enough bike. He likes it. I noticed this today as I was warming up the bike to leave. I couldn't stop laughing.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case you're wondering, He made an oil catch can out of an old antifreeze jug to keep from marking his spot.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
on one of my last tips to our local H-D dealer they had a Dyna in their showroom with a 2inch oil spot under it. odo said 3 mi:nojoke:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
When I had my HD my dad would bring "PPpads" over and put them under the bike when I was not around. They are what you use when training a puppie not to pee in the house.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I worked as a service tech at a harley shop for a year and a half when I got out of the Marine Corps, rode a sv650s then, and NEVER seen or worked on a leaking harley. I make fun of the leaks myself but its a thing, usually, of the past. Like some evos, shovelheads, panheads, but the new ones seem to be pretty good.
In fact I just ordered an electra glide classic, it'll be here first week in May.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You guys don't understand. The Harley Motors are made from a special alloy that is capable of pulling the oil right out of the ground. That is why you see them with spots under them and if you watch long enough the drips will actually rise from the ground up. It's designed right into them.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
When I had my HD my dad would bring "PPpads" over and put them under the bike when I was not around. They are what you use when training a puppie not to pee in the house.

:a20: chris you come up with some funny sh**

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I worked as a service tech at a harley shop for a year and a half when I got out of the Marine Corps, rode a sv650s then, and NEVER seen or worked on a leaking harley. I make fun of the leaks myself but its a thing, usually, of the past. Like some evos, shovelheads, panheads, but the new ones seem to be pretty good.
In fact I just ordered an electra glide classic, it'll be here first week in May.
That's odd because I remember reading an article in V-Twin or American Iron that discussed the new changes they had just made to Harley motors to keep them from leaking. Couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You guys don't understand. The Harley Motors are made from a special alloy that is capable of pulling the oil right out of the ground. That is why you see them with spots under them and if you watch long enough the drips will actually rise from the ground up. It's designed right into them.
now that is funny :joke: :bigthumbsup:

Doc

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have had two harley's and they did not leak, had a 650 and 750 bonneville that did leak, I think mine were the two harley's they made that did not leak

you never know

Doc

·
Registered
518 Posts
Then they would be overfilled and leak oil out the left intake!:eek::dontknow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
2 guys I rode with while stationed in Norfolk last year were both HD riders and both of their bikes were drippers. One had an 03 wide glide and the other was some kinda screamin eagle edition (not a HD guy so forgive me). Guy that had the wide glide bought his wife a brand new rocker and when we all pulled into Barry's down in NC for lunch, we came back out and low and behold her bike had spots under it. I couldn't say anything because i had a small dribble out of my left side but it was still funny to me none the less.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
My old Sportster only leaks at one place, and it's because I'm too lazy to fix it. The output shaft seal for the front sprocket is gone and it leaks a little out of that, but I consider it a free chain oiler. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts