M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the grocery store the other night and couldn't resist the new Cycle World mag with an article about HD's largest cruiser ever. I started reading the article thinking they might finally be getting off their [email protected]# and producing real HP. But as I read it I discovered that it only gets 89 HP and 103 ft/lbs torque. What's the point? And the price you will not believe OMG $25,000. You could buy TWO 109's for that!! :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
brownbomber1 said:
Was in the grocery store the other night and couldn't resist the new Cycle World mag with an article about HD's largest cruiser ever. I started reading the article thinking they might finally be getting off their [email protected]# and producing real HP. But as I read it I discovered that it only gets 89 HP and 103 ft/lbs torque. What's the point? And the price you will not believe OMG $25,000. You could buy TWO 109's for that!! :dontknow:
Doesnt the screaming eagle V-Rod make somewhere in the low 100's for HP???

G

·
My good friend Jim (Mr. Gocart) has a beautiful, I mean beautiful screamin eagle vrod and yeah, they have a bit over 100 at the wheel. What I really like about the rods is how slim / sportbike feeling they are for a cruiser. Don't get me wrong, I really like the "get outta my way" freightrain stance the 109 has... hell I'd like both to be in my garage

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
So with say 102ish Hp at the rear wheel and 95ish FtLbs of torque, and 100+ lbs lighter....

Hmmmm... I may need to do some more mods!   :evil:

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
don't know where ya got a hundred pounds its a little over fifty i believe, but I already dropped 36 lbs with my JR pipe mod
double p when you did the pipe mod does the valve go or stay

·
Registered
172 Posts
The real impressive HD's to me are the street rods...they must handle EXTREMELY well...there was one at Blackhawk Farms raceway a couple weeks ago at a track day...keepin up with the sportbikes in his class :eek:

This isnt it but it may give you an idea

·
Registered
898 Posts
horseplay said:
The real impressive HD's to me are the street rods...they must handle EXTREMELY well...there was one at Blackhawk Farms raceway a couple weeks ago at a track day...keepin up with the sportbikes in his class :eek:

This isnt it but it may give you an idea
That's a sweet pic :bigthumbsup: makes me miss my sport bike :(

khrome

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
don't know where ya got a hundred pounds its a little over fifty i believe, but I already dropped 36 lbs with my JR pipe mod
I thought I read an article somewhere that said it weighed in around 600Lbs...
I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That new 110 HD motor is a nice piece but WAY expensive . Designed for low end not top end like ours. Our engines are very unique for big V Twin cruisers in that they are oversquare (larger bore than stroke) like most sport bikes. This is better for higher rpm's and upper end power, hence the redline over 7K. Take for example the VTX they peak out ~5+K stock.....

The V Rod series do indeed make over 100 rwhp BUT they make relatively low mid range and low end power generally because they have fewer cubic inches. They make their peak numbers at relatively high rpm (compared to most cruiser Vtwins)

As a rule, in general, the top end of the engine (intake, heads,cam(s), valvetrain, exhaust) is what determines the capability in terms of peak power . The bottom end (which determines displacement, cubic inches or cc's) generally will give you how much power under the curve it has (low end and mid range on up). Big cubes more low end , fewer cubes , you must rev it more to get the top end and you get less low end. Size DOES matter ! In terms of pure power , bigger cubes is always better given everything else is equal.

As for the Street Rods, I too , really like em. I open tracked one several months back ......though they easily outhandle cruisers they are truly no match for an equally well piloted sport bike......good rider can really make them hustle, though. :eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
khrome13 said:
That's a sweet pic :bigthumbsup: makes me miss my sport bike :(

khrome
While your missin...........

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, So here I am at our first annual bike event in Fishkill, NY where this guy has his beautiful V-Rod Screaming Eagle with a factory custum paintjob with flames and it is really nice. So I figure the initial cost is around 30K and he said he added another 15K. The nitrous was not completely done but he did say it dyno'ed at 109HP.

It won the stock bike contest and P/U $400.00. I sure wish I knew enough to enter my M109R. His was the only bike in this catagory. I found out too late. Not bad for a $25.00 entrance fee. JOHN

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Mack400 said:
Hi, So here I am at our first annual bike event in Fishkill, NY where this guy has his beautiful V-Rod Screaming Eagle with a factory custum paintjob with flames and it is really nice. So I figure the initial cost is around 30K and he said he added another 15K. The nitrous was not completely done but he did say it dyno'ed at 109HP.

It won the stock bike contest and P/U $400.00. I sure wish I knew enough to enter my M109R. His was the only bike in this catagory. I found out too late. Not bad for a $25.00 entrance fee. JOHN
It won the stock bike category? Didn't you say it wa s a Screaming Eagle with an additional $15K into it? Doesn't sound stock to me. Gee, it only cost him $45K to win that $400 prize. Sounds like a bargain to me. ::)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
horseplay said:
I so love that shot :bigthumbsup: ........................... and man does that look like fun :evil:

G

·
Mack400 said:
Hi, So here I am at our first annual bike event in Fishkill, NY where this guy has his beautiful V-Rod Screaming Eagle with a factory custum paintjob with flames and it is really nice. So I figure the initial cost is around 30K and he said he added another 15K. The nitrous was not completely done but he did say it dyno'ed at 109HP.

It won the stock bike contest and P/U $400.00. I sure wish I knew enough to enter my M109R. His was the only bike in this catagory. I found out too late. Not bad for a $25.00 entrance fee.  JOHN
that is not a stock bike stock is just that off the showroom floor 0 mods the way it came out of the crate what a line of BS they gave the public out of the crate the 109 blows away the HD

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
The V-Rod is infact ~140lbs (wet weight) lighter than the M109.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I found several sites that list the H-D V-Rod dry weight at 637 and Suzuki lists my M109R with a dry weight of 694.
Thus, the difference is 57 pounds. I'm going with Perry on this one. With his exhaust mod at 36# and another 5# for the pair valve removal, the difference for Perry and the V-Rod is about 15 pounds. With our motor, I'd say that's a real slim difference to overcome. I'm with Perry on this one.
Jer

Jer
Elfrippo said:
The V-Rod is infact ~140lbs (wet weight) lighter than the M109.

·
Registered
77 Posts
jerbear said:
I found several sites that list the H-D V-Rod dry weight at 637 and Suzuki lists my M109R with a dry weight of 694.
Thus, the difference is 57 pounds. I'm going with Perry on this one. With his exhaust mod at 36# and another 5# for the pair valve removal, the difference for Perry and the V-Rod is about 15 pounds. With our motor, I'd say that's a real slim difference to overcome. I'm with Perry on this one.
Okay, here you have it, from Harleys website. VRSCA V-Rod (which is the model we refer to as the V-Rod) weighs 600 lbs dry:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/M...vrsc&model=VRSCA&market=US&modelsection=specs

The M109 weighs 694 lbs dry so that's almost 100 lbs difference. But that's not the whole truth.

The dryweight for the M109 is without any liquids, while the Harleys dryweight seems to be with all liquids except gas. This means that in running order the M109 weighs 767 lbs, as tested by Motorrad. The V-Rod, also tested by Motorrad, weighed 628.3 lbs, which is pretty close to the 622 lbs Harley claims on their website.

Counting in the fact that the M109s tank carry 0.8 gallons more fuel than the V-Rod we still get that the M109 weighs 134-140 lbs more than the V-Rod in running order.

Numbers taken from:
www.einszweidrei.de

1 - 20 of 40 Posts