M109 Riders banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have the older one, made by Pittsburgh Motorcycle. Here is the main difference. Besides the safety bar looking to be thinner and probably a weaker steel, the lower rails are knife-edged, not "C"d, no reinforcement, no support. Those lower rails will bow outward over time, even with a stronger safety bar. That new lift is NOT designed to take the weight. I hope Pittsburgh didn't make that, bad on them if they did. View attachment 108457 View attachment 108449
Can you clear this up for me? The old part # is the one on the right correct? (68892)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
1" Bar.....problem solved.

Interesting timing on this thread. I JUST got around to replacing my half inch bar which was bending quite severely (although not quite as much as the pic, but getting close) with a solid steel 1" bar yesterday. Problem solved.

I have 3 feet left over of one inch solid bar, anybody nearby need some?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am looking to buy this lift from harbor freight. As always I read all the reviews on everything I buy, I noticed a review on the Harbor freight website that said this happened & the only fix is to get a bar that is very sturdy & replace the bar that comes with the lift.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good post. I was looking at these the other day as well. Looks to me like the rails that are supposed to support the safety bar were installed upside down compared to the old version.

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
347 Posts
Man that is worse than chinese made!!!

And that happened with that tiny bike on it, can you imagine the disaster with the weight of the 9?

:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Harbor freight jack

After reading all this, I looked on harbor freight and read the reviews for the 99887. It is on sale for 179 plus using 25% off coupon. Anyone have any comments on this one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bike Lifts

Hi Folks

My sump sits about 3/16 inch below the frame,engine mounts are all ok.

The question is, if I was to use a lift the rear would sit snuggly on the lift arm, but the front would sit across the sump. Does any one know if that's ok, as I wouldn't want to damage or put a strain on the sump?

Thanks

Paul :)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sump

To protect the sump I cut four pieces of thick rubber hose and put them on the frame where the lift will touch it.
See attachment:

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Jack you want to buy

After reading all this, I looked on harbor freight and read the reviews for the 99887. It is on sale for 179 plus using 25% off coupon. Anyone have any comments on this one?
If you're still looking to get a MC jack, check ou the Black Widow hydraulic from the following site for $99. Been using it for two years, no problem. They also have an air hydraulic version. http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-jacks/c/2124/

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Reading further the max height is 14", more than enough space to get under your bike.
:)
I wrote "IT" as a jack....not you... LOL!
Getting the jack under the bike is with some jacks tricky...
Bike leaning left on the side stand has a low clearance,
for sure less then 5"...
:beer2:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I just use the black widow style one

have to take the extenders off but I just PLed a half inch rubber piece on top and it works perfect for shock adjustment, oil change etc

I just slide it under with kickstand down it levels up as you jack it up

21 - 40 of 45 Posts