M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my M109R this Monday :doorag:. Love it. Rode sport bikes before, decided I was too comfortable on them for my own good, so I bought the best cruiser you can buy. My question is, over small cracks in the road I feel an odd thump in the bike, and not from the bump, almost like is causing the drive shaft to slap or something, hard to describe but its coming from the bike, not the bump, anyone know what Im tallking about? im hoping its normal somehow.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
It does not do it on mine. Check your shock setting. It comes set at 4 from the factory. I have mine set on 1 and weigh about 200lbs. I would also check to make sure things are torque correctly.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also.

Check out the two links in my signature.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I know what you are describing, cant tell you what it is but my bike has had that same thing since I bought it 2 years ago. Been over it and over it and can find nothing. Had the stealer look at it once and they couldnt find nothing either. So I just chalk it up to nature of the beast, but I would still have it checked over just in case it is something mechanical. Better safe then sorry.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
:welcome: & :congrats:

Mine did it when I had the stock kickstand on. I never really thought about it going away, but I don't recall it doing it with the different kickstand.

Check the exhaust mounting bolts towards the rear. I've heard of them getting loose and causing it too.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The first several thousand miles on mine I felt a thump what seemed to be from the front forks as if the spring/gas(whatever it is) pressure was a bit firm. i would hit a bump which compressed the fork and it would clunk when fully extending back up.
After a while that softened up and I don`t notice it any more. I assumed it was a break in thing. 22,500 miles now

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Mine does it u can feel every bump , different textures of the road through your feet ..... have put around 5000 miles in a couple months... Just is how the bike is... my last 3 bikes didn't do that ... but this is my first 9 so just must be how it is...... It use to bother me not any more.... :doorag:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel an odd thump in the bike, and not from the bump,.
It's the front wheel coming back down between shifts. You're like me, a former sport bike rider right? You know what I'm talking about - keep the front wheel on the pavement Starboy.

Oh, and :welcome:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had the same problem. Bike noise on expansion joints and cracks
in the pavement.
I got mine to go away...I put 10lbs of air in the tires and got them up
to the correct pressure.:doh:
It worked for me!:a18:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
There are or used to be a few threads about this in the past....

I think the concensus was that the kickstand on new bikes gives a little clunk. over bumps...but as the joint gets a bit dirty it stops :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
welcome from milwaukee wis.

:congrats: and enjoy your new found torque.Most likely it's the kick stand.Mine did the same thing it was the stand.Ride safe ride smart stay alive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I did buy it used. 2006 black with 12k miles. I am comimg from a zx636 and a triumph tbird sport. Cruisers new for me. I thought about the kickstand. I do need to check tirepressure. Picked it up on way to work one morning and havent had a chance to really look it over yet. Thanks for the feedback. As long as many others know what im talking about I feel better about it. Ill post some pics when at my comp. Like you guys havent seen a stock m109r before.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
06 ? Grab the rear rotor and shake it. Ive had some guys say they hit a bump and hear a odd tik and the loose rotor duplicated it. The rotor was very loose (the dealer would call it a floater -- ye right)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
K
06 ? Grab the rear rotor and shake it. Ive had some guys say they hit a bump and hear a odd tik and the loose rotor duplicated it. The rotor was very loose (the dealer would call it a floater -- ye right)
You know, I actually found that yesterday before I saw your post. Its very loose kinda scary. And ya its really a floating rotor. Gonna order a new one tonight. Also checked tire pressure and was very low. Rides totally diferent now. Im pretty sure what im feeling is the rotor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts