M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this information from a vendor that sells dyno beads. Thanks, Dan

I've also started seeing some issues with the beads this year. It appears that a couple of tire manufacturers have changed the lube they use to keep the rubber from sticking to the molds in the manufacturing process. The new lube feels slick to your fingers, but it actually grips the beads and keeps them from moving around like they should be. Ultimately the beads end up clumping together and causing the tire to be out of balance. The solution is very simple and I now do this with all tires I install just to be safe......baby powder. That or a little corn starch keeps the lube from gripping the beads. FYI, the tires that I've seen consistent issues with so far are Metzlers and Michelins.

·
Registered
128 Posts
dyna beads

Thanks for the insight. Currently preparing to put a dunlop 250E3 on the rear and wanted to go with the beads.... ;)

crossq

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even though I'm running the E3's I am going to sprinkle some baby powder in there just in case.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
Interesting info, thanks! I check the inside of mine for rubber flashing and such and never noticed them being greasy, but all I've used are Dunlops.

Do those Dyno beads give you more power than the regular Dyna beads? :D

Couldn't help it, please forgive me. :joke:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Interesting info, thanks! I check the inside of mine for rubber flashing and such and never noticed them being greasy, but all I've used are Dunlops.

Hey, I want the extra power from Dynobeads and I want no chafing, but lube and baby powder sounds like a recipe for paste.:joke:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Interesting, I have Metzlers on my Sabre and have had 0 issues.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Now, this may be a dumb question:duck:

But:

Has anyone ever tried water to balance a tire?

Ok, as I typed that, I though about it freezing, so:

Has anyone ever tried antifreeze to balance a tire?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sand is the only alternative

No such thing as a dumb ? I know sand has been use to balance in semi-trucks back in the days

But:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts

But:

That link I posted in your other thread to the discussion on the Jeep forum about balancing beads mentioned using antifreeze to balance tires. And sand, airsoft pellets, BB's, lead shot, etc. I think they've tried pretty much everything. I don't recall what the outcome if any of using the antifreeze was.

The poster of it originally asked about water, then thought about it freezing as you did.

I don't see antifreeze being a lot different than the other liquid type materials, such as Slime. I don't know how well they work though. I've thought about trying some of the self sealing liquid type materials.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Do Avon tires have any issues with dyna beads. Or do you have to powder them tiny balls also. Is any one person a tiny ball checker? :D
Dam Guy

·
Registered
838 Posts
Man that's good to be knowing. I've got new wheels and tires coming. Will have to pass this to my friend that's going to be installing them for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just an Opinion

Unless you are using dry nitrogen in your tires, regular air in tires as it heats, and cools creates moisture. Baby powder absorbs the moisture then it will clump, and you have the same balance problems with the Dyna Beads getting mixed up in the powder. I found if you use the powder sparinglythis will eliminate the issue. The best bet in nitrogen in your tires.:bigthumbsup:

G

·

Like Chinese telephone, pretty soon they're gonna be Dingo beads.......:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts