M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed the new Cobra Tri-Pros. :hot::hot: Thanks for helping me futurR (Matt)! :yourock: They look and sound great. The build quality is really good also. Many thanks to Cobra for making a great pipe. It was a HUGE bonus that they were able to get it to me at the meet. :#1: Everyone loved it.

My camera really did not get the sound just right in my and my wife's opinion.

Here is another sound clip. CLICK HERE

futurR said:
You wanted a pipe right up to add to the thread. Will try to be as objective as possible.

The cobra pipes look great, IMO. They came in 2 boxes and packed very well. This is the first chrome version that anyone has seen and the chroming is outstanding. Everything is chromed, from the headpipes, heat shields, to the exhaust tips. The instructions were incomplete due to Cobra getting them out so quickly and just throwing them together for us. They had a great instrucion sheet for the exhaust can, bracket, and SET bracket. The brackets install nicely once the stock exhaust is out of the way. The sheet for the headpipe/heatshield install was very lacking and I am sure it will change. The heatshields and headpipes were packed seperately and had to be assembeled to the headpipes (done with clamps). However, that is where the problems begin.

This one of the more intensive installs I have done. Getting the clamps through their slots in the heatshields is easy, but you have to do this blindly with the headpipes in place within the heatshields---easy but reqiures extra time. After bolting the assembled headpipes to the exhaust ports, do not tighten them up. Leave them a bit lose and this also includes the heatshield clamps--you will need some play to get the exhaust can collector to the headpipes. Installing the exhaust can will test you a bit the the heasshields in place--hard to see anything and everthing is a tight fit. One thing to remember is the heatshield that covers the collector and is closest to the can is the very last peice to install. Now that you have all the pieces assembled you can tighten every bolt and clamp.
Taking your time and paying attention will cost you about 2-2.5hrs of your time. There were thoughts it may be better to assemble everything on the ground first and install to the bike. In my experience this is not the way to go. You can, but other factors come into play. If you do this, the distance between headpipe flanges could be different than the correct amount needed to get them bolted up. Also, you take a much greater chance of scratching any finish on the pipe. This way will not save you any time either.

It was fired up to let the pipe burn in and let the members view the pipe. First thoughts on the sound, well, surprised a bit. I prefer a deeper tone to a pipe and do not like chrome. This pipe looks great and has a different sound. It is a bit high pitched for me and wish it was deeper. It was said it did get a bit deeper after a few hundred miles. POwer at the seat of the pants was said to be noticable. One thing to keep in mind with all that has been said is that this was still a one off pipe (hand built) by Cobra. There has not been a production run as of yet. Now, that being said, the finish was great. There is a small possibility that what is production made will not be exactly what we installed, but will more likely be the same.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just installed the new Cobra Tri-Pros. I will post photos and a sound bite within the next day or two. They look and sound great. The build quality is really good also.
awwww thats some bullsh!!!t....:congrats:

·
Registered
179 Posts
:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i thought you were at the meet? now isn't the time to do mods, now is the time to be riding. :joke:

and besides, posting you got a new exhaust without putting up some pics is just flat out wrong. :nojoke:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
i thought you were at the meet? now isn't the time to do mods, now is the time to be riding. :joke:

and besides, posting you got a new exhaust without putting up some pics is just flat out wrong. :nojoke:
:agree: C'mon bro......show us the pics! LOL

·
Registered
303 Posts
This thread I'd BS!! :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
Still waiting :dontknow:... You know people get shot for less :duck:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sorry guys, I took no pictures of it---but there were plenty of oics taken. They will get posted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
come on, t t t t today jr.:-\

1 - 20 of 92 Posts