M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
ok so she's a heavy girl, no prob i'm far from small but does she lay over easy?? and another thing how do y'all downshift on her?? i mean all clutch, or ya clutch, throttle, ds. and do y'all counter-steer when ridding at speed?
The C is not the same as a M.
The C is heavier and doesn't handle as nice as the M, but I'm a smaller guy and the M seems smaller to me. The C doesn't lay over easy and with a highway bar installed picks up without even thinking about it.:dontknow:

What I should say is today is the first time my C109 as been on the highway bar. My wife laid her C 50 over trying to stop because a kid was just standing in the road holding on to his bicycle and not moving anywhere, he was just standing in the road on a blind corner. I'm in front and see him I tell my wife on the head set "KID IN THE ROAD". she slams on the brakes I'm looking in my mirror and see the back starting to come around on her then the front wheel starts woobing and down she goes. Skids for 20 feet and stops about 10 feet behind my bike. The kids is still standing in the middle of the road with deer in the head light look on his face. I pull over and get off my bike so fast I didn't get the kickstand down all the way so now my bike too is laying on the road but I'm more worried about my wife. I see she's OK pick her bike up and see the highway bar has done it's job. The right mirror, highway bar, right driving light and right saddle bag are in pretty bad shape but the wife only has minor road rash and a hip pointer. I'm sure she will be hurtin for the next couple of days but nothing like what it could've been. Thank you Lord!

Ok, so I get back to the C109 I just reach down and without even thinking about how heavy the bike is picked it up and then checked it out, It's Ok only the bar peg got moved out from where it was. Now at 170 and 5'8 this bike should've and most of the time would kick my butt but not when the adrenaline kicks in, up it came.

So Highway bars for me are a must. sorry for jackin on your thread bro.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
ok so she's a heavy girl, no prob i'm far from small but does she lay over easy?? and another thing how do y'all downshift on her?? i mean all clutch, or ya clutch, throttle, ds. and do y'all counter-steer when ridding at speed?
You don't have the blip the throttle to downshift. But I do it sometimes just because it sounds cool with the sideburner. Lol! Just clutch and downshift. Make sure your speed is right for the lower gear or engine braking will skid the rear tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Three things you must do to stay rubber side down.

1) This bike is so massive that if you don't counter steer it is only a matter of time before you miss a corner and go off the road. As part of that I would put 46lbs of air in the rear tire to make it easier to get off center, with the usual 40 there is a lot more effort needed and especially when you are starting out you want to try and minimize the bulk of the bike whenever you can.

2) This one applies to all motorcycles... Intersections are the most dangerous place you can be but you cant go into them fast. When you approach one even if the light is green look both ways! remember you don't have that steel cage around you any more. Once you have gotten into the middle of the intersection you can and should accelerate moderately to get out. I didn't realize that when I first began to ride and it cost me a very screwed up knee and much pain over the last 35 years.

3) Your first riding season is probably the most dangerous because sometime in it you will think "Heh this isn't so hard, I don't see why all the caution is needed" watch for that cause that is the point at which you will probably start getting careless, it happens to all of us but the ones who recognize it before it is to late are the ones who are still riding

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've only been riding for three years, but in that time, I have had numerous reminders to pay attention while riding. Enough so that my wife has even commented on my attentiveness while driving a cage. As soon as you let your guard down, that's how soon someone will sideswipe you and catch you unaware.

I also had a recent reminder about intersections when I started to make a right turn and someone blew the light and nearly hit me.

Just assume that everyone in a cage is an idiot and will either not look or not care that you are there. If you make this assumption and act accordingly, it'll be easier to avoid problems.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
one last tidbit. Don't ever, ever get complacent and think you are a master bike rider. I've been riding for almost 40yrs and I learn something new every single time I ride.

·
Registered
667 Posts
thanks for all the advice guys tomorrow is the big day "basic riders course" and sat will be the first day on her, question right turns at a stop??? seams to be a potential lay down situation, inputs on possible things i will do that she'll wanna lay-down???
If you kill the engine, she'll want to fall right over in the middle of the turn. So keep it running!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have to say, I think you're nuts for starting with a 109. Even with experience, there was a serious learning curve when I moved up from an M50. Staying in the lane during slow speed, tight corners was hard for me. I still dread making tight, right-turns on steep mountain switch backs. All I can say is good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
i came to a c109rt after riding modified harley 1200 sportsters for the last 8 years , at nearly 600 lbs they are not light and with mods they have good power for there smaller package but since ive had the 109 when i get on the harley its like geting on a bicycle. if there is any things that i wish the suzuki had that the harley does it would be the controls and set up (self canceling turn signals, sepreat left right ones, and all the buttons in a easyer thumb reach)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i came to a c109rt after riding modified harley 1200 sportsters for the last 8 years , at nearly 600 lbs they are not light and with mods they have good power for there smaller package but since ive had the 109 when i get on the harley its like geting on a bicycle. if there is any things that i wish the suzuki had that the harley does it would be the controls and set up (self canceling turn signals, sepreat left right ones, and all the buttons in a easyer thumb reach)
Suzuki use to have self-cancelling turn signals and they use to have a "gear indicator", so you always knew what gear you were in. I noticed that they have brought the "gear indicator" back on the M109R. I wonder if it will work on the C109RT:dontknow:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have seen a gear indicator up on EBAY a number of times, most are for the M but have seen a few that say they will work with a C.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GIPR...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb096de89

Suzuki use to have self-cancelling turn signals and they use to have a "gear indicator", so you always knew what gear you were in. I noticed that they have brought the "gear indicator" back on the M109R. I wonder if it will work on the C109RT:dontknow:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have had self-cancelling turn signals on other bikes. I found them convenient but not great. As far as a gear indicator goes, I can always tell what gear I'm in by looking at my tach (I installed a Baron) and my speed. It seems I never use 5th unless on the interstate though.

My gripe is the fuel capacity - this tank is so big you could sun yourself on it but you have to work at it to get 170 miles to a tank. I bought my bike to cruise and it's a pain in the butt to have to stop for fuel. Wish it could carry more fuel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
thanks for all the advice guys tomorrow is the big day "basic riders course" and sat will be the first day on her, question right turns at a stop??? seams to be a potential lay down situation, inputs on possible things i will do that she'll wanna lay-down???
Feather your clutch, turn your head and turn the bars. Look where you want to go not where you don't.....As far as riding in a group, do not be intimidated by or feel as though you have to keep up with the more experienced riders....Ride your ride.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have had self-cancelling turn signals on other bikes. I found them convenient but not great. As far as a gear indicator goes, I can always tell what gear I'm in by looking at my tach (I installed a Baron) and my speed. It seems I never use 5th unless on the interstate though.

My gripe is the fuel capacity - this tank is so big you could sun yourself on it but you have to work at it to get 170 miles to a tank. I bought my bike to cruise and it's a pain in the butt to have to stop for fuel. Wish it could carry more fuel.
self-cancelling turn signals isn't a big issue with me either. You can just push in the turn signal button to cancel the turn signal, so it's not a big deal. I always know what gear I'm in too, but it's just real convenient to just look at the display. How do you like that Baron tach? I'm getting between 40-45mpg on my bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
self-cancelling turn signals isn't a big issue with me either. You can just push in the turn signal button to cancel the turn signal, so it's not a big deal. I always know what gear I'm in too, but it's just real convenient to just look at the display. How do you like that Baron tach? I'm getting between 40-45mpg on my bike.
I like it a lot but it fogs up when there's a big temp change. I found out the hard way it isn't waterproof:verymad:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like it a lot but it fogs up when there's a big temp change. I found out the hard way it isn't waterproof:verymad:
My speedo did the same thing after I changed to a webslinger face plate, it fogged up so bad it drove me crazy, then the wife says why don't you put one of those little silica gel packets inside the housing. Worked like magic for 2 years now. Hope this helps

·
Registered
108 Posts
so guys first day of class is done and i only dumped that little pice of crap 250 with the messed up clutch during the wide s swerves once, and i can tell you this, my c109 clutch is so much easier, if i stall out one more time i'm going to run that pos into a wall :edit:
Take your time and stay focused. If you're dumping a crappy 250 imagine the issues you'd have with a 109. Rushing things will only hurt you literally!!!!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.