M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
:congrats: you are starting with a beast for your first bike. The little bits of advice I can give you that's not taught in any glass are these:

1. It's like chess. Always, Always be at least 3 moves ahead, so that you have options if something happens.

2. Always know what's going on around you, 360 degrees.

There are so many things that you will learn just from riding. Always respect any bike, no matter what size it is.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
one last tidbit. Don't ever, ever get complacent and think you are a master bike rider. I've been riding for almost 40yrs and I learn something new every single time I ride.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i came to a c109rt after riding modified harley 1200 sportsters for the last 8 years , at nearly 600 lbs they are not light and with mods they have good power for there smaller package but since ive had the 109 when i get on the harley its like geting on a bicycle. if there is any things that i wish the suzuki had that the harley does it would be the controls and set up (self canceling turn signals, sepreat left right ones, and all the buttons in a easyer thumb reach)
Suzuki use to have self-cancelling turn signals and they use to have a "gear indicator", so you always knew what gear you were in. I noticed that they have brought the "gear indicator" back on the M109R. I wonder if it will work on the C109RT:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have had self-cancelling turn signals on other bikes. I found them convenient but not great. As far as a gear indicator goes, I can always tell what gear I'm in by looking at my tach (I installed a Baron) and my speed. It seems I never use 5th unless on the interstate though.

My gripe is the fuel capacity - this tank is so big you could sun yourself on it but you have to work at it to get 170 miles to a tank. I bought my bike to cruise and it's a pain in the butt to have to stop for fuel. Wish it could carry more fuel.
self-cancelling turn signals isn't a big issue with me either. You can just push in the turn signal button to cancel the turn signal, so it's not a big deal. I always know what gear I'm in too, but it's just real convenient to just look at the display. How do you like that Baron tach? I'm getting between 40-45mpg on my bike.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Remember that class and certificate is just for the basics. You will learn way more the more you ride. I've had my motorcycle license since I got my drivers license. I just had to take a written test way back then. I've been grandfathered in each time I renew my license.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Congratulations, you are now certified to go out and kill yourself and your passenger. Sorry that was a little blunt, it's an old flight instructor adage. Also, just pretend that everyone on the road (and pulling out if parking lots) is trying hard to kill you, just like you're playing a video game. Always know who's in your blind spots (and whose blind spot you're in) and always leave yourself an out. That has kept me and my passengers alive for the past 30 years. Crap has it really been that long?
WOW!!! Glad your ok man. The bike can be fixed with a little $$. That's the bad thing about the bike class. They can only teach you the minor basics. The rest will come with time. Like The M said. Drive like everyone else on the road is trying to run u over. Always and I mean always be 3-5 moves ahead, just like playing chess. Always make sure that you have a clear way out, no matter what the situation. Here's a little story that happened to me. I was driving down the road one day and there was a car coming at me going the opposite direction, when all of a sudden the car behind him pulled out to pass. He was so close that I had no choice but to hit the center line and pass between the two cars. Scared the crap out of me. I had to pull over and change my shorts, but it just shows you how quick things can change. I've been riding bikes for about 40yrs now and I still have close calls with those idiots out there who simply DO NOT!! even see you on your bike. You have to ride like your invisible and they can't see u.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
His insurance paying for the damage?

In WA, we don't have to have any insurance on our bikes...however, I carry full coverage with $100 comprehensive deductible and it only costs me about $30/mo, well worth it. I hope I never need it, but like the guys are saying, most people don't look and don't care, they're wrapped in steel, a little fender bender is just an inconvenience...however, there's no such thing as a fender bender on a bike.
Insurance isn't required in Florida either, unless you want to ride without a helmet. Then you have to have so much medical coverage. I have full coverage on mine with a $50 deductible.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok, my older brothers always made me get back on the horse after I was thrown,hope you do the same, and maybe youl grow a better set of eyes, one never knows what a cager is thinking.:cus:
I've got back on my horse a couple of times. Of course, I think only 2 wrecks in 40yrs of riding is pretty good. I almost lost my right leg in one of them. If somebody tells you that they've never laid their bike down, then they ain't riding. Those are just the wrecks I've had. I've had mine fall over in the parking lot before either due to soft asphalt or some pea gravel making my foot slide when I put it down or from slamming on the brakes, because some idiot is haulin' butt thru the parking lot. Good thing you have insurance. I have progressive too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.