M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW! That is so very cool. :bigthumbsup: Are you going to do both fronts and rears? And were you planning to do your bike so we can see what it looks like on the 9?

I would definitely be interested, but suspect that I wouldn't be able to afford it :D Probably one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long time.
Other than the intakes my bike is done.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was kinda surprised you didn't go with that instead of your left side brake Hal. It's a clean system. The only thing I've read about it and watched on you tube is they are very picky about the install regarding who does it for warranty reasons. But, if we can get an RC hub and the exact spacers to use it would be one of the cleanest mods for the rear end. Who knows, maybe it would cut down on some of the brake dust we get in our wheels after just one ride as well. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I looked into that brake system early last year. Just after my return from the desert and retiring. It's a cool set-up. At the time I look at the system. It was not available for the metric bikes. I didn't bother to look at the site other then the front page. This time. Is it available for the metric cruise at this time?

When I was looking int the system. One of my concerns was it stopping abilities. Looked to small to stop our bikes.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Honestly..I like seeing working parts on a bike, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I come from the Indian Larry school of dress up your functioning parts.
Work on some deal were we can get our rear or front calipers chromed cheaper...is my request.........

I'm sure some will love it... but not for me or my currently constricted budget.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
they have a 360* brake pad serface so actualy there is better stoping power with them and they look ausome. One other thing you can actualy see your wheels we work so hard to polish or have cromed!! I like um!!

·
Radio Active Member
27,706 Posts
they have a 360* brake pad serface so actualy there is better stoping power with them and they look ausome. One other thing you can actualy see your wheels we work so hard to polish or have cromed!! I like um!!
Even if there was more or the same square inch of pad used. In such a small area and concealed up, with some small vents. I would think under had driving/twistie roads that they would heat up a ton faster and take a lot more time to cool down. Boiling brake fluid is not a good thing to have.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Even if there was more or the same square inch of pad used. In such a small area and concealed up, with some small vents. I would think under had driving/twistie roads that they would heat up a ton faster and take a lot more time to cool down. Boiling brake fluid is not a good thing to have.
:agree: Even though they are neat, one of the critical parts of brake design is the leverage they can apply to the wheel. That's why larger diameter disc brakes are more affective than smaller diameter, even if you add more pots to the caliper. And why the rim mount brakes on Buells are so effective. Moving all that leverage closer to the center of the wheel when most of the rotating mass is on the outside can't be very effective.

Brakes are one of those things I really like to have work, and work as well as they can. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Would be like going back to drums, there good at slow speed with alot of weight, but rotors are better at higher speed and repeated stops. Even the site says tested at 80mph, wonder if they tested it from 140mph, might fade bad before you got stopped. Would be really nice on a show bike, or even a 1 off custom where they dont go over 80 mph often.

As mentioned cooling would be a massive concern, would think it would just hold to much heat.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This type of brakes should work better, it ha a full surface brake pad and rotor
Heavy equipments have been using this type of setup years.
It is used on forklifts, frontend loaders, etc. it is very similar to our clutch that launch this monster of ours.
Set up correctly, it should work extremely well.
I am happy with my original brakes setup on the 9

This brake system need to be sold as a complete wheel kit preset up and tested
The end user should by a wheel that has this brake kit already install and just put your axle, tire and connect your brake hose, bleed and ride.
Or a specific complete kit for your bike with a specific wheel

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.