M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -

Haven't been here for a bit. Hope your all well. I;ve always wanted a Bottlefed intake but couldn't ever find one I really liked. After learning how to polish my wheels I thought I'd give it a go. Tell me what you think, and ride safe.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I think I would have used a full sheet and had a design etched in. I think the best mods are the ones that you do your self. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dude, that is awesome. I love it. Details please. What did you make your airbox covers out of, and how did you attach the pipes to them?

Sent From my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Kevin, NICE JOB! I guess that explains why we haven't heard from you lately, been busy CUSTOMIZING and POLISHING! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments - After checking on the prcies of a replacement stock airbox, I made a strong attempt here to preserve the stock airbox so I could return to the stock system or change to a Ducks mod or something like it. So the black plate, the flame plate and the tube all attach to the stock airbox. I used a short section of 2" ABS with a cap to plug the stock air inlet on the rear of the box.

The flat plate that the flames and tube sit on are made from aluminum, but it was powder coated black. I tried to polish it but the flame plate seemed to disappear. My other thought was to give the back plate a matte finish with the flame plate polished to accent it. I have not decided whcih way to go with it yet.

The tube is cut from a 2.5" aluminum tube. I cut 2 22.5 deg angles in, tig welded together, grind and polish. They slip through a hole in the flame plate and welded form the back side.

I'll post a picture tonight of how it looked with the back plate being plain (polished).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great Job

Thanks for the info. Will be interested in seeing the pics. I really like the idea of the parts being welded together. I assumed that you used plastic and was wondering if they were epoxied in or what. What you did is more work, but a much better solution. I like the angles instead of the smooth bent curves, it is different and I haven't seen one like it before. :2cool:

Thanks,

Steve

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Awesome job bro, especially the tubes you fabbed up for the filter. I'd like to be able to weld like that. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As requested

Here it is before I changed the back plate to a black color. It just seemed to wash out the flames (at least from a distance). I dunno....may still go back to that. I also have the option of painting the back plate the same color as the bike ???????????

OR should I just chrome the whole thing?????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Come on man,, this is all about that six point your showing off, right,,, you can tell us? :congrats:
I'm busted Brotha. Ya got me.......:D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I like chrome, but they don't look as good that way. Keep the backing plate black so they stand out better! :bigthumbsup: AND take out that picture of you and that jackalope!!!!:joke:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like chrome, but they don't look as good that way. Keep the backing plate black so they stand out better! :bigthumbsup: AND take out that picture of you and that jackalope!!!!:joke:
I think all chrome! Your right that it might wash the flame a bit but I think the over all look of it being 1 solid piece and not multiple pieces!

I'm liking this thread!:bigthumbsup:

Juice109

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Me likey! Love to see peoples inovation:bigthumbsup: have you thought about the polished back plate with paint made for over chrome think it is called Iadized im sure spelled wrong. I used it on the backing plate of my hyperchargers and like it still alows the shiny metal look to come through.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts