M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Got my bike on Friday but the dealer forgot to deliver the manual with the bike. I have done 200 Km Over the weekend and I'm loving every minute of it so far.

Breaking- in .. unless you are going against the manual i believe its under 3500 RPM for the first 800 km or 500 Miles right ?

Gearbox.

Right off the bat i was surprised to hear and feel how the bike clunked from first to second and then all the way thru the box but improving with the higher gears. Also after a bit of riding i would battle to get it to go into first eg, when stopping at the lights. While I'm sure its not the way to go , i have managed to figure out that if i press lightly on the shifter while releasing the clutch a bit, the gear will clunk into first even if it jerks the bike forward a bit at the same time. i have read similar reports here.

Tractability. ( nothing to do with racing on a track. )

The bike has hectic compression, so changing down into second and then first while you slow down is not a good idea unless you want to lock up the rear wheel and risk getting chucked off.
All good and well but, i find that i want to take most slow suburb corners in third but the bike hates being asked to accelerate from low speed in third and backlashes and bucks in protest threatening to break the drivetrain it seems. Only the lightest of throttle openings will suffice when asking her to accelerate from low speed in a highish gear. So this means i have to corner in second and simply have to slow down much slower than i would have liked to change down into second without the compression trying to buck me off.
This means cars up my ass at every slow corner as she wont do it in third and i have to slow right down to downshift to second.

Vibration

Accelerating to 3500 i noted some vibration coming through the entire bike and wondered at first if it was from the front wheel and then decided it was the nature of the V twin engine . I have similar reports here.

Exhaust

Very quiet and twin firing sound smoothing out at 3500 rpm.

Looks.

Well thats why i bought it , in violet blue. Just the prettiest thing out there. Sexy wheels. Hot !! from the 3/4 rear view.

Finish

A bit dismayed at all the chromed plastic but i was expecting that after reading about it on here. I will change that as it become available. Seems well put together. The twist grip throttle seems to have a bit of play in it upwards and downwards. ( i don't mean forwards and backwards like when revving it up ) It feels crummy. Can it be tightened up ?

Also unless I'm mistaken, the entire front fork seems twisted to the right the tiniest bit when driving straight as well as the handlebars.

Ride

Harder over bumps than i expected, although I'm not sure its a bad thing. I believe there are preloadable setting on the rear ? While hard, the bike does retain its composure over the rough though.

Conclusion :

I love the bike. I drive a Ferrari and an M-coupe' too and get nowhere near the attention this bike brings. Its obvious that while silver and black may vie for the 'fastest' colour, Violet blue, indigo or burple is easily the prettiest.

Ciao

skin.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
:welcome:

Report back after you have a few more miles on it. A lot of what you describe is just a matter of getting use to the bike. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
:welcome:

You bring the count of deliveries on Friday the 15th to 4 total, I counted 1 black, 2 silver and now a burple!

As I was one of the Friday deliveries I speak of I can tell you that after about 500 miles (800km, my weekend total) you start getting used to all the little things about the bike that make it different.

As for the shudders in low gear, go to http://www.jsdproducts.com/ and pick up a JSD-3M to fix the timing retard on the bike.. Adds a lot of power back into first thru third gears as well as removing the rev limiter in 5th.

For the break in, I followed the advise I got here and "rode like I stole it" for the first few hundred miles. Constantly changing engine speed from idle up to (dare I say) 100+ mph (or 160+ kmh) while holding on for dear life... god what fun 8) :D

Bike has already been de-badged, de-stickered, de-reflectored and has the JSD mod installed. If it quits raining before time for work I plan to take it in today to show it off there as well 8)

Ride Strong! and stay safe!

·
Registered
775 Posts
congrats on the new ride; yes, black is the fastest ( in my opinion also the best looking);
shifting is normal at first. will fade over the miles and you get more used to the bike. it takes a little practice with any new bike to acclamate yourself to the gears. as far as the slack in the grip, no it can't be adjusted. get new grips. ISO thru directlineparts.com is the best. i love mine. the twist in the forks may be your imagination. does the bike ride straight? if so there's no twist. again, congrats on the new and remember, the rubber side goes down. knees in the breeze, brother.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I got mine this weekend too and also have not adjusted to the little quirks the bike has, More or less the same as yours with the addition of some major problems with pedal adjustment due to my big feet. I'm sure they will dissipate as you get used to them. At least you got to ride this weekend, hasn't rained here for months, got the bike and it has rained off and on all weekend,,,,,yuk. As for colors, mine is black but I think they are all gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.

Being a new road rider - IE green on tarmac but having ridden dirtbikes all my life, i learned a few good lessons Friday night in rush hour bringing my gorgeous baby home. This may be old hat to many, but helpful for some-others.

1) Drive a bit faster than the moving traffic. this way you can concentrate on the traffic ahead of you that you can see rather than worrying about the traffic coming up from behind you that you cannot see.

2) Probably the most important in fast moving traffic is to dominate your lane. Drive in the middle of your lane or close to the middle. If you shrink off to the side some twat will try sneak past you in a car in your lane and push you off. The M109R owns the road naturally so just do it.

As of this morning i had new respect for motorcyclists on my way to work in my car, giving them a wide berth when they split lanes . Every one of them thanked me for making space for them.

Thanks
skin.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
A couple of other tips,

1) if you are directly behind / in front of the cagers in your lane they are more likely to see you.

2) when you have to use the brakes flash them a couple times before you put them on hard to get the cagers attention (they don't always see the single brake light all that well)

3) DO NOT get boxed in by cagers if at all possible, and if any of the ones around you have a cell phone on thier ear, use your throttle to GTF away from them before they pull a "I didn't see him, honestly officer" on you.

4) And most importantly, always remember that in a car vs bike contact incident, the bike is going to loose 99.999% of the time.

5) When you are approaching an intersection where there is a car preparing to exit into your path of travel, weave slightly back and forth in your lane to make your headlight more visible. Believe it or not this simple action will make you register on a cagers radar better than anything.

Much thanks to Taz for recommending the "Motorman" DVDs, they taught me more in one watch than I learned in the entire 15 years I rode bikes before I quit. In fact, I learned more about low-speed handling from them than I did from the MSF course I took that we never exceeded 15 mph in 8)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
To add to what DaltonH said .......... Know where the blind spots are on the car/trucks you are around and stay OUT of them :bigthumbsup:

He also mentioned the JSD mod ,and I have noticed since I've had mine I can roll through and power out of tight/slow turns in 3rd where as before most of the time I would have to use 2nd.

·
Registered
775 Posts
one trick i picked up from another biker was that when you're in the left turn lane try to watch the traffic also turning left from your right. cagers have a habit of cutting short on left turns ( especially on 4 lane roads). i usually stop a little back from the traffic line.

·
Registered
413 Posts
:welcome: :beer3: :clap2: Here in Vegas we have the "scumline" where in the summer you have to avoid the middle of the lane because cars leak oil and it can be slick. Also those crack fillers get gummy and slippery in the summer here. When I ride in traffic I like to get in the fast lane, that way I only have to watch out for traffic coming from my right side. (I can also speed! :D :doorag:) And I wear a full face helmet cuz of all the dirt trucks on the road here....those rocks always seem to know where the middle of your forehead is!!!! :dontknow: Congratulations!

·
Registered
131 Posts
brownbomber1 said:
:welcome: :beer3: :clap2: Here in Vegas we have the "scumline" where in the summer you have to avoid the middle of the lane because cars leak oil and it can be slick. Also those crack fillers get gummy and slippery in the summer here. When I ride in traffic I like to get in the fast lane, that way I only have to watch out for traffic coming from my right side. (I can also speed! :D :doorag:) And I wear a full face helmet cuz of all the dirt trucks on the road here....those rocks always seem to know where the middle of your forehead is!!!! :dontknow: Congratulations!
I was just about to mention the same 2 things. Always take oil, grease, and other vehicle fluids into consideration when riding in the middle of a lane. Especially at a stop or intersection. And those tar crack fillers can play games with your mind. At low speeds or high. I learned to stay off them while riding my Gixxer. Just as bad as when they grate a road right before they repave it again.

Enjoy your M. :)
ez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts