M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got done hanging new bags just in time for VA meet. Mutazu JM in Silver for my Silver 9. I really lucked out on the paint, it is a very close match.. Made my own brackets so I could tuck them in tight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you riding down with a group? I'm looking to meet up with a crew on I-81 somewhere. Rod

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you riding down with a group? I'm looking to meet up with a crew on I-81 somewhere. Rod
Yeah... I am in touch with Ducks sorta. I am planning on heading out Tuesday after work and stopping in around Wilkes Baare PA that night and meeting up with him there. He is coordinating with some other guys to meet there Wed am.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Not bad at all bro, and they do match up nice. I have the small Mutazu bags that I modified to fit on my Leatherlyke bag pegs and they've done well for a couple years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mutazu bags

They look fantastic great job :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:...I think the best bags I've seen for the 9 imho. I'm looking at the tsukayu bags and ghost bracket (a bit expensive) but these look great on.
My only issues are removable brackets and trying to keep the turn signals. Did you have any issues on the install, or any pics of the brackets you made?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They look fantastic great job :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:...I think the best bags I've seen for the 9 imho. I'm looking at the tsukayu bags and ghost bracket (a bit expensive) but these look great on.
My only issues are removable brackets and trying to keep the turn signals. Did you have any issues on the install, or any pics of the brackets you made?
I more or less did this setup... http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1300287#post1300287

With the idea of making them easily removable. I did a 5 degree angle for the holes on the posts to pinch them in at the back of the bike.

I bought 8 1 inch 1/2 od 3/8 id aluminum bushings from http://www.aluminumspacers.com/

And some 120 mm and 110 mm M8 zinc plated bolts from fastenal, Get part numbers and call your local store. I will probably end up doing the hitch pin through center just above head, but for this trip I am bolting them in with a washer.

The aluminum is getting scraped up pretty good, so while I will be able to pull the bags on and off quickly, the posts look kind of rough. I am on the lookout for a more durable alternative. Also considering taking something like ghost brackets and modding them to go inside the bag to keep things tight.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I more or less did this setup... http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1300287#post1300287

With the idea of making them easily removable. I did a 5 degree angle for the holes on the posts to pinch them in at the back of the bike.

I bought 8 1 inch 1/2 od 3/8 id aluminum bushings from http://www.aluminumspacers.com/

And some 120 mm and 110 mm M8 zinc plated bolts from fastenal, Get part numbers and call your local store. I will probably end up doing the hitch pin through center just above head, but for this trip I am bolting them in with a washer.

The aluminum is getting scraped up pretty good, so while I will be able to pull the bags on and off quickly, the posts look kind of rough. I am on the lookout for a more durable alternative. Also considering taking something like ghost brackets and modding them to go inside the bag to keep things tight.
For this trip I am just tightening them down. I got some 1/2 id rubber hose to put between bags and fender rails. This seemed to stiffen things up substantially, so I don't know if the easy to remove thing is gonna work out.

To answer your question about how difficult it was... it was a PITA to get all the angles right and figure out the best way to do things. The right bag has about 11 holes in it and only really needed 6. The left... after learning from experience only has the necessary 6 holes for my design.

OH YEAH... these are not show quality bags. I mean they are pretty nice and only cost me about as much as it would be to paint the corbins. I don't think they are going to fall apart or anything, but they are not perfect in fit and finish. Paint is OK, but not OEM quality. If you let the lid slam shut it may close successfully 1 in 10 times, but clicks fairly solidly if you slow down and line it up.

I personally like the look of these better than the Corbins.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For this trip I am just tightening them down. I got some 1/2 id rubber hose to put between bags and fender rails. This seemed to stiffen things up substantially, so I don't know if the easy to remove thing is gonna work out.

To answer your question about how difficult it was... it was a PITA to get all the angles right and figure out the best way to do things. The right bag has about 11 holes in it and only really needed 6. The left... after learning from experience only has the necessary 6 holes for my design.

OH YEAH... these are not show quality bags. I mean they are pretty nice and only cost me about as much as it would be to paint the corbins. I don't think they are going to fall apart or anything, but they are not perfect in fit and finish. Paint is OK, but not OEM quality. If you let the lid slam shut it may close successfully 1 in 10 times, but clicks fairly solidly if you slow down and line it up.

I personally like the look of these better than the Corbins.
PS... I gave up on my own brackets and went with e-z or ghost, whatever hellriser customs sells. If you move the lock to the back end of brack and put spacers on brackets instead of posts you can have short posts and easy on/off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
PS... I gave up on my own brackets and went with e-z or ghost, whatever hellriser customs sells. If you move the lock to the back end of brack and put spacers on brackets instead of posts you can have short posts and easy on/off.
Do you have a picture of how you set this up?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have a picture of how you set this up?
These pics should explain. You have to move the lock up front where rail is flatter and put spacers between the now rear slotted piece and main bracket. Then you can use about 3 washers under the rear button instead of whole spacer.

It will still look wide and clunky with bags on, but at least with them off you don't have as much post sticking out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
These pics should explain. You have to move the lock up front where rail is flatter and put spacers between the now rear slotted piece and main bracket. Then you can use about 3 washers under the rear button instead of whole spacer.

It will still look wide and clunky with bags on, but at least with them off you don't have as much post sticking out.
So is the 2nd pic from the left showing the original posts, or is that after the mod?

·
Registered
36 Posts
JM Bags

Snoobzilla, I know this post is old but was just curious if you still have these bags and how they have held up. I need to get something affordable for a trip and to be able to haul all of my stuff to and from work. I like the way these bags look but am not sure of the quality or how they will hold up. Appreciate it!!

Mark

·
Registered
338 Posts
Really nice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts