M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for those with open minds, here is some objective data on this tire, as installed.

1) For those who say the the 9 steers too slow or have to muscle it in the turn, this rear tire allows for much lighter steering due to it more rounded profile than the stock D221 Dunlop. However, once in the turn, as stable or more than the flat profiled Dun. It dives for the pegs now as if I shaved 50-100 lbs off the bike.

2) Less rolling resistance - you can feel this especially between gear changes, but it is there. Makes sense, as the contact patch on center is slightly less than that of the more flat profiled Dun. I look forward to seeing a mileage change for the better.

3) Available tread - I am in continuous pegs scraping turns, and I cannot get closer than 1/8" from the edge of the tire. I could ride and round the edges of the stock Dun. Piece of mind, absolutely. The extra 10 mm of width is welcomed, and adds that much more to your edges at heavy lean, where tread counts the most.

4) Little bit stiffer ride, but I always felt the stock Dun was too floaty. Now you "feel" the rear in turns.

5) It looks meatier than the stock Dun. Adds to the fat ass look we all love.

Will be posting pics later on, as I have to get the old tire back to inspect the wear and maybe get some good edge pics.

Those running this tire, pics of your wear and use are also appreciated. :)

There is more out there than Metz.........

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Are you coming off of stock tires to these? If so, ANYTHING out there would be a marked improvement.

I have tried the stockers, Elite IIIs, and Metz tires. Metz is the king of these three....would like to hear a comparison of someone who has tried both Avon and Metz.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I have the Avon Cobra 250 also. I agree with everything you mentioned, BUT beware of wet conditions. I caught a little bit of rain yesterday on my way to work. You know when you hit a bump, sometimes you accidently blip the throttle?? Well, it happened and the ass end washed out for about 30 feet. It could have been a number of different reason ( oil on the road, slick pavement, whatever) but I wasn't to thrilled about it. Just letting you know that it happened.

-JOsh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have the Avon Cobra 250 also. I agree with everything you mentioned, BUT beware of wet conditions. I caught a little bit of rain yesterday on my way to work. You know when you hit a bump, sometimes you accidently blip the throttle?? Well, it happened and the ass end washed out for about 30 feet. It could have been a number of different reason ( oil on the road, slick pavement, whatever) but I wasn't to thrilled about it. Just letting you know that it happened.

-JOsh
Wow, that's odd. The Avon Venoms I had on my Maruader ate the rain, no issues. Maybe it's all the torque? My Marauder didn't have this much torque. :D Like you said, who knows. Glad you saved it. Pucker in a little seat foam? :D
I wonder if any tire can stick in the rain on the back of one of these. I don't hope to find out.

Avons are made in England,the land of the daily showers.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you coming off of stock tires to these? If so, ANYTHING out there would be a marked improvement.

I have tried the stockers, Elite IIIs, and Metz tires. Metz is the king of these three....would like to hear a comparison of someone who has tried both Avon and Metz.
You're probably like me then. I don't plan on Metz, and you probably don't plan on trying Avons....... ;)

Had too much good luck with them over 4 years.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

I have tried stockers, avon cobras, EIII's and metzlers. We all know the stock tires suck. the EIII is not bad for the money. imho, the metzlers and the avons perform pretty equally well. But, in my experience the metzler lasts longer and the 260 on a stock size wheel allows you to take it right to the edge.:bigthumbsup: No chicken strips here!:D

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I have tried stockers, avon cobras, EIII's and metzlers. We all know the stock tires suck. the EIII is not bad for the money. imho, the metzlers and the avons perform pretty equally well. But, in my experience the metzler lasts longer and the 260 on a stock size wheel allows you to take it right to the edge.:bigthumbsup: No chicken strips here!:D
Well, there you go....someone who has tried both :D.

You are a good rider, Demitri so I trust your judgement. If you say Metz are the best then I'll stay with them.

Oh, I don't have any chicken strips either...LOL :clap2:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Avon is more rounded I s'pose, so it's harder to get to the edge. I finally got there, but cripes the pegs were bent up and dragging! Glad to hear we got someone who has tried all. I love the Avon. Now to decide on my new front.........

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The small difference in performance was why I chose the least expensive option and bought the Avons for $330 instead of the Metzelers for almost $400. I figured if they both have comparable specs why spend the extra $70. But I didn't get a chance to see the treadlife on the Avons, but after 2000 miles I couldn't even see any wear on the front, but the rear was showing some wear on the outer edges of the tread but down the middle it seemed to show nearly no wear. I thought that was weird since the Cobra isn't a dual compound tire. Oh, and no chicken strips here either.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Wow, that's odd. The Avon Venoms I had on my Maruader ate the rain, no issues. Maybe it's all the torque? My Marauder didn't have this much torque. :D Like you said, who knows. Glad you saved it. Pucker in a little seat foam? :D
I wonder if any tire can stick in the rain on the back of one of these. I don't hope to find out.

Avons are made in England,the land of the daily showers.........
Like I said, it could very well be the patch of road I was on, but it was like riding on a wet racquetball court. I checked when I got to work and there wasn't any evidence in my short shorts, so I"m good there.

Bobbymac, I started out with Metzelers, tried the Dunlop E3 ( didn't like it), and figured I"d try the Avons. Aside from the other day's event, the Avon's a very smooth tire. I haven't really gotten crazy with it in the corners yet, so I can't say whether it's as sticky as the MEtzelers are. I'm trying to figure out the grip vs. mileage ratio of all the different options we have. I'll keep you posted.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
JD Any pic's of that rear tire before you traded it.
Nope, none that show the tread wear. The wear wasn't excessive (maybe a couple /32nds more than the middle), I think it was from throttling out of the corners and trying to feel the back end do what the dunlops did. But I couldn't get the Avons to feel loose unless it was damp. The Avons stuck very nicely and I was satisfied with their performance. The biggest improvement I noticed was switching to the Storm 160 but I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've tried stocks, E3's and Metz. For me Metz gave me confidence in the corners such that there were no chicken strips and I ground down the pegs.

The E3's don't give me that same confidence in the corners, and we all know about the stock tire (like going over a cliff). Too bad the Metz are twice the cost of the E3's.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i run the avon's and love them.tried the e-3's didn't like the handling. best price i found on them is jake wilson.com someone mentioned it on here,so i tried there and they are the cheapest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i run the avon's and love them.tried the e-3's didn't like the handling. best price i found on them is jake wilson.com someone mentioned it on here,so i tried there and they are the cheapest.
Which Avon front did you decide on?

·
Registered
501 Posts
i run the cobra's front and rear. 250/40-18 rear 130/70-18 front. few guys on here running a storm front i think it is a 160/60-18.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The small difference in performance was why I chose the least expensive option and bought the Avons for $330 instead of the Metzelers for almost $400. I figured if they both have comparable specs why spend the extra $70. But I didn't get a chance to see the treadlife on the Avons, but after 2000 miles I couldn't even see any wear on the front, but the rear was showing some wear on the outer edges of the tread but down the middle it seemed to show nearly no wear. I thought that was weird since the Cobra isn't a dual compound tire. Oh, and no chicken strips here either.
JD, I dont know where you were buying tires and you dont know where I'm buying mine but I paid 300 for my rear Avon installed otd. the last metz cost me 275 installed otd. I got 3700 miles from the Avon and 5800 miles from the metz. I dont really think my riding style changed very much from tire to tire and math is math. and to add, I never got more than 6500 miles out of the EIII.:dontknow:
Alot of this debate depends on riding style and what area of the country you are in. in the great state of TN, I'm rolling the metzlers from now on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts